Do you stick to your game plan??

I used to plan out my round the night before but found over time that it wasn't really helping me any. Now I try put my plan together on the tee box as part of my preshot routine for each hole. I think too many factors come in to play especially if it's a competition. Things like weather, current score, how well I'm hitting my driver all play a roll in my decision.

What I can count on for every hole is:

• I typically won't hit driver on anything under about 380.
  • I try not to go for the green on par 5's unless absolutely feel it's necessary. Especially in competition.
  • Always forget about the bad shots before you get to your next shot.
  • I'm not a pro and bad shots are going to happen.

These two for sure. But if I find the fair way on a par 5 and am within say 240 I will go for it almost every time.

I've really been making an effort this year to get to about 140-150 out from the green on every hole. Yes, that means putting the driver away, but I've found i'm playing out of 'trouble' less. It also lets me concentrate on making better approach shots into the greens since its roughly the same yardage.

When I make a game plan, I stick to it, unless I get hot. Then I'm firing at everything and being aggressive.

~Rock

I tend to stick to the same game plan for all courses. My last 2 rounds I changed it up and it really helped. Shot my lowest score in some time. I am going to stick to this approach as its lowering my scpres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I make a game plan, I stick to it, unless I get hot. Then I'm firing at everything and being aggressive.

~Rock

I'd have to agree with this. But with my game, it's more likely right now that I'm cold and I need to get more conservative in what I'm doing instead of trying to go at flagsticks.

These two for sure. But if I find the fair way on a par 5 and am within say 240 I will go for it almost every time.

For me this is true only if there isn't significant trouble in the way. If a quick hook or thin ball is going to lead to a penalty or an impossible shot, I will layup to 100 yards preferably, or whatever the safe yardage is otherwise.

For me this is true only if there isn't significant trouble in the way. If a quick hook or thin ball is going to lead to a penalty or an impossible shot, I will layup to 100 yards preferably, or whatever the safe yardage is otherwise.

Honestly I just love love hitting my 3 wood off the deck and any chance I get to i take it. I take hazards into consideration though and lay up with a forwny face.

I'd be so much better off if I did this.

My last round, I said I wasn't going to play my hybrid, I was going to play 4i or 5i and be a bit short, but in a good position. The holes I did that, I scored well. I also said that if I had any sort of shot where something might be in the way, I'd chip over to the fairway and take my medicine. Of course, I didn't do that and attempted to hit over a tree. Net gain on that shot ended up being around 15 feet and even deeper into the garbage. Triple bogey by the time I was done.

Tomorrow will be the real test. I have a habit of overswinging when I'm playing with people who hit the ball a lot further than me which absolutely kills my game. I am playing with one of those guys tomorrow and I swear that I'm not going to do it. I'm going to play my own game and not worry about where he hit the ball or what he scores. I must get better at scoring when playing with groups of people in a competitive situation. I can shoot in the 80's when playing with my normal group of short knockers or by myself, but put me with better golfers and I lose it........ That ends tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be the real test. I have a habit of overswinging when I'm playing with people who hit the ball a lot further than me which absolutely kills my game. I am playing with one of those guys tomorrow and I swear that I'm not going to do it. I'm going to play my own game and not worry about where he hit the ball or what he scores. I must get better at scoring when playing with groups of people in a competitive situation. I can shoot in the 80's when playing with my normal group of short knockers or by myself, but put me with better golfers and I lose it........ That ends tomorrow.

Good luck man. Play your game!

The biggest variable for me is the weather. Wind and wind direction can make things play really long or short. When I have a game plan thats the thing that won't make it stick.

It depends on how things are going. Right now I'm hitting the driver well and pulling it out on every hole I can, keeping the long iron approach shots out of it becfause I can't seem to stop hooking those atm.

1st-My goal is 130-160 left after the tee shot, if I can get there without driver I will. 2nd-If the course is wide open, I will make exceptions and go for the driver with the thought of 'what do I have to lose'. 3rd scenario - I'm absolutely piping the driver and confident with it that day well then I'll just keep going with it until it bites me. Obviously closer is better but I'm comfortable 130-160.

I try to manage the course and my swing as it comes.
I'll have a plan for each hole as I get to the tee box and survey the conditions.
Then the plan may change with each shot.

I have a general game plan for each hole on my home course, but it is always subject to change based on weather conditions. I usually don't change up bases on what other people are doing though.

Stuck to plan today and shot 79

Before my league round this week I was thinking about the first hole. It's a 345 yard par 4. Hit it left and it's OB. Hit it right and you can have some tree trouble.

My game plan was to hit 5 wood and go from there. Well I was in the 5th group out and I watch every single person hit driver off of 1. Before I knew Im up and yep you got it Im hitting driver.

I played the hole fine. It didn't hurt me at all. I had a clear cut game plan and just failed to stick to it. When you make a game plan before your round how well do you do sticking too it?

I didn't read the whole thread so excuse me if already asked but if your drive was a poor hurtful one, you would probably not be asking this question. Just curious why you felt compelled to hit driver if you didn't feel it was necessary for you on that hole just because everyone else did?
I feel you should always play your own game and not other people's. I see so very many people pull driver on every hole regardless of layout and distance and so many times end up hurting themselves.

I had a situation today on a par 5 with a sharp leg to start the hole. I was the only one (driverless on that hole) with a 5wood and aiming for what the hole gave me and was also the only one in my group who pared the hole and actually had a great chance for a birdie putt. I don't care what others do. I play my given game at the time and based on what I am looking at to what I feel are my strengths for the given scenario and that's it.

Awesome man Damn good score!

thanks and it was done under the pressure of a match. We were down 2 after 5, pressed then got 1 down in second match(3 down overall). Played even par for holes 8-14 and 2 over 15-17.

we ended up winning second match on 16 and the first on 17

I didn't read the whole thread so excuse me if already asked but if your drive was a poor hurtful one, you would probably not be asking this question. Just curious why you felt compelled to hit driver if you didn't feel it was necessary for you on that hole just because everyone else did?
I feel you should always play your own game and not other people's. I see so very many people pull driver on every hole regardless of layout and distance and so many times end up hurting themselves.

I had a situation today on a par 5 with a sharp leg to start the hole. I was the only one (driverless on that hole) with a 5wood and aiming for what the hole gave me and was also the only one in my group who pared the hole and actually had a great chance for a birdie putt. I don't care what others do. I play my given game at the time and based on what I am looking at to what I feel are my strengths for the given scenario and that's it.

I actually birdied the hole. Hitting driver on this hole is truly not a necessity. To be honest driver is probably the most comfortable club in my bag.

I was asking the question more about the mental side and how you can have a thought on how you want to do something then it can change at the drop off a hat.

I pretty much do not game plan my rounds. I let how Im feeling and how my swing feels dictate how I play on a given day. In this situation there is no range to warm up on so the opening drive is the first ball your hitting. Thats the only reason I opt for other than driver on this hole. If there was a range and I had 10-15 to hit a few balls Im hitting driver and being aggressive right out of the gate

The only real plan at my home course is hit 3h instead of driver on #3 and I didn't today :sad:

I actually birdied the hole. Hitting driver on this hole is truly not a necessity. To be honest driver is probably the most comfortable club in my bag.

I was asking the question more about the mental side and how you can have a thought on how you want to do something then it can change at the drop off a hat.

I pretty much do not game plan my rounds. I let how Im feeling and how my swing feels dictate how I play on a given day. In this situation there is no range to warm up on so the opening drive is the first ball your hitting. Thats the only reason I opt for other than driver on this hole. If there was a range and I had 10-15 to hit a few balls Im hitting driver and being aggressive right out of the gate

I understand your thoughts better now :)
But for me - warm up or not I still hit whatever club I feel I would normally hit regardless of first hole or not. I can be equally successful or not with any long club from the tee so I play hole #1 the same as any. But that's just me.
We did (if I recall) have a thread fairly recent on the very subject of first hole first shot and whether or not people treat it any different. Answers fwiw were a bit mixed but I think many said similar to me - in that they treat it like any other hole.

My tee shots rarely if ever follow my game plan so every round is a new adventure

Yup. Discipline is the most important factor in golf. I tee off to set up the second shot. Every once in a while I'll go for it (like a 270 yard par 4 at a local course), but typically I hit the club that is going to get me within 130 yards of the hole on a par 4. Usually a 3 wood or hybrid. Since I started playing "smarter" I've hit much more GIR and lowered the score.

Back