Wilson D200 Irons Review Thread

Thanks for all the input in this thread guys. CAA_beat, I think I needed to hear this last post. I've been all geeked up following the Srixon Z545 thread, and while those are beautiful irons, I think the D200's are a better fit for someone like me who currently struggles to make consistent contact. I think I'd be foolish not to give these a try before anything else. Keep up the good work everyone - this is a great thread!
I was in the exact same situation you're in a few months ago, so I bought both the 545s & the D200s. I'll be selling the 545s soon.

What it came down to for me was consistency. The 545s are beautiful & some of the longest & most accurate irons I've ever hit... when my swing was on. Unfortunately, that's only about 50% of the time. The D200s look good for what they are, but their performance more than makes up for it any visual short comings. They are solidly in the bag.

I was in the exact same situation you're in a few months ago, so I bought both the 545s & the D200s. I'll be selling the 545s soon.

What it came down to for me was consistency. The 545s are beautiful & some of the longest & most accurate irons I've ever hit... when my swing was on. Unfortunately, that's only about 50% of the time. The D200s look good for what they are, but their performance more than makes up for it any visual short comings. They are solidly in the bag.

Thanks again for the reality check. The 545's are dead sexy, but the WS D200's are such a good value (I still like my Di11's) - I know I'd be happier in the long run with those clubs.

Thanks again for the reality check. The 545's are dead sexy, but the WS D200's are such a good value (I still like my Di11's) - I know I'd be happier in the long run with those clubs.

Good value is an understatement. I was hitting them so straight when I demo'd them it was ridiculous, everyone said they were a huge improvement from the D100s and I finally got to see why. If I was in the market for new irons, I don't think I'd try another brand or model.

I have no idea what to do about #2.
Take enough skins from people, they'll become believers. :D

I did a practice session at GolfTEC last night. I didn't have time to run home and grab my clubs, so I was hitting one of the demos at Golfsmith. I thought I had grabbed an XR, but it was an XR Pro 7i. No big deal for practice, punishing bad shots doesn't matter on a launch monitor, it's just more obvious how you missed. After I got done, I went out to the demo bay and grabbed the D200 7i.

Let me tell you, it's so nice to see your shots straighten out and go 15-20yds farther. I was hitting about 130-135 on good shots with the XR Pro, and 150-153 with the D200. I can't describe how excited I am to get a full set of these.

4 rounds over the long weekend and these irons are turning in to total game changers for me.

-Mis hits are some of the least penalizing shots I have seen in any of the irons that I have played over the last couple of years.
-Launch is high and soft without any distance sacrificing.
-Distance seems to be close to 1 and 1/2 clubs longer now than my Apex and DPCs were. I'm hitting the gap wedge close to 110-120, which is a huge change for me, and I am pulling a 5i out of the bag for distances in the 185-195 range, again, unprecedented for my swing.

Not going to get into the whole loft debate that can rage from time to time, but I believe the distance changes I am seeing, especially with scoring irons, is going to be a game changer for me. I've never stuck so many 100-145 yard approach shots as close as I have in the past few rounds. I really don't have a single complaint about these irons. They have transformed my game at the beginning of this year and I am posting scores right now that I wouldn't of even sniffed until mid season the last couple of years. This past winter I haven't practiced at all, either.

Through 5 rounds, there is no signs of wear or scuffing on the sole, and the faces have a couple of smudges on some toe shots, but nothing serious.

I am excited to see how this season progresses with them and I'll keep updating as I go along.

W/S has a big time performer in these irons, but they also have 2 huge stigmas to overcome... 1) They're SGI & 2) The general snobbery towards the W/S brand.

I struggled with #1, but got over it because of the performance. I have no idea what to do about #2.

It's unfortunate that most people (including most golfers who should know better) don't understand that Wilson (Walmart, Kmart, etc) is not the same as Wilson Staff.

There's nothing wrong with having the cheaper option for beginners/casual golfers, but they probably should rebrand/rename them so the Wilson Staff reputation can recover.

It's unfortunate that most people (including most golfers who should know better) don't understand that Wilson (Walmart, Kmart, etc) is not the same as Wilson Staff.

There's nothing wrong with having the cheaper option for beginners/casual golfers, but they probably should rebrand/rename them so the Wilson Staff reputation can recover.
My thoughts exactly

I don't really thing that is their biggest issue these days.The President of Wilson Staff has said they are existing the discount format. That goes back to around December.Probably because they used to sell discount chains they have no product at Dicks, which to my mind is a positive.They are making headway and it will be a slow build.Even when they are close to the market share they want the general golf world may think they should be bigger. I think they want to make great product and make money doing it.I have read their model is Ping.Not a bad place to be. Ping has a comfy spot because they are a private company.I have enjoyed watching Wilson climb out of a really bad place to now having some better players using their stuff. Still, they have a long way to go.
My thoughts exactly

Do you think they are not in Dick's sporting goods by choice?

Unlike my experience with the D200 driver, 3-metal and hybrid, the irons have not been love at first sight - or swing. In fact, I have some major issues with the lofts, which in my opinion was a serious misstep by Wilson Staff, but I think it's going to be ok.

Based almost exclusively on information from THP on this thread, I decided to give the D200s a try. I wanted to to hookup with the fitting van when it was touring the KC area, but I had a scheduling conflict each of the three times it was at local courses. Still, after reading the reviews here, and doing a little more research online - and coupled with my great experience with the driver - I decided to take the plunge.

I bought the 4 - GW on a popular auction site. In taking them to the range I was hoping for an experience similar to what I had with the driver. That didn't happen. It took a variety of changes to ball and address positions to finally find a comfort zone. Also, I was not overly impressed with the launch angle (I would discover more about why later). The ball flight was ok, but in no way compared to my old high-launching Cleveland Altitudes or even my previous gamers - Ping i25s. In order to get a high launch, I had to put the ball up pretty far in my stance, which was a mistake.

Last Sunday I took them for their first round. Again, the results were mixed. I hit some nice shots - and boys these babies really go when hit on the sweet spot - but I hit way too many shots thin. At the end of the round I had only hit 9/18 greens, which is pretty subpar (of course, two of those misses were the result of poor drives, but still...). Some of the greens I hit were only because of the extremely wet conditions; normally, with that low of ball flight they would have never held.

Going to my round I was hoping to come home and put my i25s up for sale. After my round I was tempted to put them right back in the bag. Sunday night I went back out to the course for about an hour to hit some range balls. I found that if I put the ball back in stance a bit my contact was much better. With the course empty, I went out to a few holes and hit shots from 160 and in with much better results. I went out for about an hour last night and also discovered that if I closed my shoulders just a bit at address the contact and ball flight was even better. With that last adjustment I began to hit the green with great consistency, even from 190 yards.

I am encouraged enough by what I've seen to give them a good tryout - probably for at least a month. I'm not sure if I'm ready to let my i25s go, but given the positive results from last two outings I think it is more likely than not that I'll sell them.

Now for my lofty issue with the D200s. The lofts on these clubs is ridiculous. I know that over the years manufacturers have gradually been de-lofting their clubs, but WS has taken this concept to new - or lower - heights. Following are the lofts of the D200 4-GW compared to the i25s:

D200 i25
4-21 4-24
5-24 5-27
6-27 6-30
7-31 7-33
8-35 8-37
9-39 9-41
PW-43 PW-46
GW-47 GW-50
SW-55 SW-54

For those players who find that there are now hitting their PW as far as their old 9-iron,there is good reason. It is your old 9-iron, at least in loft. The loft on the d200 4-iron is exactly the same as the i25 3-iron. So yea, I'm hitting my new 4-iron as far as my old 3-iron, because it's essentially the same club.

For me the real problem is in the upper lofted clubs. My GW used to be my 100-115 yard club now with a full swing the ball sails out there 115-125. If the SW had a loft of about 50-52 It wouldn't really matter because I could use that on those 100 yards shots, but the 8 degree difference between the GW and SW creates a very uncomfortable gap. If I stay with the D200s, I will either need to add another brand's 50 degree wedge or really dial back on the GW. I guess I don't really have an issue with the lofts because I could easily make the mental switch from hitting an 6-iron when I used to hit a 7, a 9 when I used to hit an 8, and so on. However, this 8 degree gap between the GW and SW could be a problem.

Having said that, and after a little of work, I'm happy with the initial results. My regular group is going down to Lake Ozark this weekend for five rounds of golf. I'm pretty sure I'm going to just bring the D200s as to force myself to give them a good workout. I'm concerned that if I bring both sets I'll be tempted to go back to the i25s if I have a poor outing or two. We'll see.

The lofts are very strong. However, they still manage to launch the ball higher than you would expect. In my Legacy prep work, I looked extensively at the D200 irons. I knew I would likely go D200 or M3 (maybe even V4) because I already game the C100s. Here are the Wilson lofts:

KOoHzt.jpg

4 rounds over the long weekend and these irons are turning in to total game changers for me.

-Mis hits are some of the least penalizing shots I have seen in any of the irons that I have played over the last couple of years.
-Launch is high and soft without any distance sacrificing.
-Distance seems to be close to 1 and 1/2 clubs longer now than my Apex and DPCs were. I'm hitting the gap wedge close to 110-120, which is a huge change for me, and I am pulling a 5i out of the bag for distances in the 185-195 range, again, unprecedented for my swing.

Not going to get into the whole loft debate that can rage from time to time, but I believe the distance changes I am seeing, especially with scoring irons, is going to be a game changer for me. I've never stuck so many 100-145 yard approach shots as close as I have in the past few rounds. I really don't have a single complaint about these irons. They have transformed my game at the beginning of this year and I am posting scores right now that I wouldn't of even sniffed until mid season the last couple of years. This past winter I haven't practiced at all, either.

Through 5 rounds, there is no signs of wear or scuffing on the sole, and the faces have a couple of smudges on some toe shots, but nothing serious.

I am excited to see how this season progresses with them and I'll keep updating as I go along.

I'm pumped to see how this goes for you Brad! The thought of hitting shorter irons into greens & leaving yourself shorter putts is enticing.

I'm hitting the gap wedge close to 110-120, which is a huge change for me, and I am pulling a 5i out of the bag for distances in the 185-195 range, again, unprecedented for my swing.

This also has my attention, as my swing changes over the winter have left a huge gap at around this yardage. Last year my 5 iron was my 150-160 club, and the hybrid was 170. Now the hybrid is more like 180-185, but I still am not hitting the 5-iron well enough to get it out past 160 consistently. I was thinking I need a 4h and a 5h, but maybe switching to the D200 irons solves that (and other) problems.

I would love to try yours out on the range in Pittsburgh - especially the 5 iron.

there is more that goes into why lofts of clubs are different with different irons and its not just to make them go further.

my z545 are below and my PW form my last set was 47 and the set before that 46. I don't hit this PW a lot further than my previous 9i.

4i - 22*
5i - 24*
6i - 27*
7i - 31*
8i - 35*
9i - 39*
PW - 44*

Of course they would want to be there. I would have thought they could
Do you think they are not in Dick's sporting goods by choice?
leverage their business in tennis,baseball and softball to have been given a shot. I think it might have been a blessing. Their product ,in my limited knowledge was not broad enough or desired enough to have sold thru.Probably still isn't. Best to grow slowly to whatever level they get to.

They sell Staff irons at the Dick's here. I think it's a regional thing.

In fact, I have some major issues with the lofts, which in my opinion was a serious misstep by Wilson Staff, but I think it's going to be ok.
The loft # makes zero difference to me because the launch/height I get from them is ridiculously high.

Looks like your issue is more with gapping at the bottom of the bag. From your signature, my guess if you went with a wedge combo of 52* & 56*, your gapping issue would be considerably mitigated. Just my opinion.

Hope you have some good rounds on your trip. There's a group of us from AR, MO, OK & KS that get together every now & then. You'll have to join us sometimes.

They sell Staff irons at the Dick's here. I think it's a regional thing.

It sure is. They got a limited amount of stores.
I am one that forever has not believed the problems lie in the Wilson brand being offered at discount stores. Callaway is offered at discount stores. So is Nike. Separate products just like Wilson. Heck, so is TaylorMade, Titleist for balls, etc.

The problem has and was marketing and the lack of it. That is slowly changing, and I like where the company is headed, but being in discount stores (despite what many say) was not the issue.

I agree with your point on the discount stores.They made a mistake by chasing the wrong channel of distribution years ago.Still they were far from the Lone Ranger in terms of selling the discount accounts.In regard to Dicks I agree they must have clubs in a limited number of doors. I have done store visits in my work and have never seen them in visiting at least 60 locations.I do see Wilson at Academy Sports and the product on-hand is not their best stuff.Even cheap Wilson golf shoes.That too in my mind is a mistake.I only know what I read,unlike JB who builds relationships which matter. Still, I did read that Wilson's new head of global marketing is very good. Plus Personal Distance seemed to speak for itself.I guess they are in the guerrilla warfare phase with hopefully a bigger marketing push on the horizon.I will say that they looked good this past week at the Wells Fargo. Streelman and Steele and even Barnes looked cool with the red staff bag.
It sure is. They got a limited amount of stores.
I am one that forever has not believed the problems lie in the Wilson brand being offered at discount stores. Callaway is offered at discount stores. So is Nike. Separate products just like Wilson. Heck, so is TaylorMade, Titleist for balls, etc.

The problem has and was marketing and the lack of it. That is slowly changing, and I like where the company is headed, but being in discount stores (despite what many say) was not the issue.

The loft # makes zero difference to me because the launch/height I get from them is ridiculously high.

Looks like your issue is more with gapping at the bottom of the bag. From your signature, my guess if you went with a wedge combo of 52* & 56*, your gapping issue would be considerably mitigated. Just my opinion.

Hope you have some good rounds on your trip. There's a group of us from AR, MO, OK & KS that get together every now & then. You'll have to join us sometimes.

You're right - the issue isn't the clubs, but the gapping. The lofts don't really matter much as long as the gaps between each iron are consistent. That is true with the D200s from 3-GW, but then there is a large 8 degree gap between the GW & SW, meaning I'll need to need to sneak another brand of wedge between the two. I can do that, but if the lofts are going to be so strong from 3-GW, I wonder why they didn't make a 52 degree SW and then add a LW at 56. Would seem to make more sense.

Thanks for the invitation to join your Ozark group. I appreciate it. I'm interested if schedules allow.

I have no need for new irons. I don't especially love the looks of these clubs. I have been playing well by my standards for a while so it would probably be stupid to make changes to the bag. Yet I find myself in this thread a lot - the lure of long and straight is strong. The beginnings of a completely irrational ponder have begun to percolate.

Just spent a few minutes going through the fitting on Wilson's website which I actually found pretty darn intuitive.

I was honest all the way through with what I currently do and what I want.

Well....the D200's were the recommendation. Elements Chrome in 6-GW is actually pretty damn affordable. Would have a few hybrids in there as well.

but then there is a large 8 degree gap between the GW & SW, meaning I'll need to need to sneak another brand of wedge between the two.

You know, Wilson makes some excellent traditional style wedges as well.

I've been checking into that. I actually have a 50 degree Cleveland CB RTX that I pulled out of the bag when I got the i25s. It's a good club, I'd just prefer to have the same style of club from 21 degrees - 50 degrees. I suppose it would have more accurate if I said same style of club than brand. Good suggestion, though. Thanks.

You know, Wilson makes some excellent traditional style wedges as well.

You're right - the issue isn't the clubs, but the gapping. The lofts don't really matter much as long as the gaps between each iron are consistent. That is true with the D200s from 3-GW, but then there is a large 8 degree gap between the GW & SW, meaning I'll need to need to sneak another brand of wedge between the two. I can do that, but if the lofts are going to be so strong from 3-GW, I wonder why they didn't make a 52 degree SW and then add a LW at 56. Would seem to make more sense.

Thanks for the invitation to join your Ozark group. I appreciate it. I'm interested if schedules allow.

Are you someone who likes to take full swings rather than partial swings with clubs? I have found that a 3/4 swing with the gap wedge fills that bit of a distance gap between my 54° MD2. I haven't noticed any issues with it so far.

I have no need for new irons. I don't especially love the looks of these clubs. I have been playing well by my standards for a while so it would probably be stupid to make changes to the bag. Yet I find myself in this thread a lot - the lure of long and straight is strong. The beginnings of a completely irrational ponder have begun to percolate.
If you don't want to buy them, don't try them.

Back