Asden105

Reaction score
Handicap
I often feel rushed when I'm on the golf course, mostly because I take the "play fast" thing seriously. However, it makes me less decisive on shots because I feel like im holding everyone up, even though they've only waited a few seconds, or they just got behind me while im finishing on the green. This makes me rush my rounds and ultimately I score poorly due to my lack of decision making.

This happens mostly when im playing single, and even sometimes when I'm playing with others. Id like to play slower, but not hold people up.

Usually when there's a group behind me, I rush. Even when by the time the time they're miles behind me, I still rush. Any way to overcome this and be more decisive with my shots?

Moved to golf talk forum

Sounds like you know you are playing too fast for your game. Slow down, at least a little, and see what that does for you.

What are your average round times like?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Taking an extra 20 seconds over each shot and hitting the ball better will quicken things up a lot more than rushing each shot but adding extra shots to your round is how I look at it

If you're playing single, you shouldn't feel rushed. Just because you will be playing so much faster then the group behind you anyway. Like you said, they're miles behind you, so just try to take a little extra time and get settled for your shot.

When you're in a group, take your practice swings while you are waiting on someone else, instead of waiting for them, then taking practical swings.

I often feel rushed when I'm on the golf course, mostly because I take the "play fast" thing seriously. However, it makes me less decisive on shots because I feel like im holding everyone up, even though they've only waited a few seconds, or they just got behind me while im finishing on the green. This makes me rush my rounds and ultimately I score poorly due to my lack of decision making.

This happens mostly when im playing single, and even sometimes when I'm playing with others. Id like to play slower, but not hold people up.

Usually when there's a group behind me, I rush. Even when by the time the time they're miles behind me, I still rush. Any way to overcome this and be more decisive with my shots?

I used to have this problem, ask Sandiegonative I play fast. By the time he was done taking his shot I was already mid way back on my back swing. It kept me in a good tempo but it made me fidget with tees in my pocket or look on my phone when it wasn't my turn cause I was already ready to go for the next shot. I ended up developing a practice routine as well as always kept a clean tee in my mouth between my front tee. This way I was calming down because I had to not bite down on the tee as well it helped keep my body loose. After about 3 rounds I didn't need the tee anymore because the practice routine worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find pace varies. It depends upon how well I'm playing. If things are going well I'm waiting. but it just takes one bad hole. And yes, I have to be careful because I can reach them with my driver. I can also screw up and not. So what to do? What to do? I figure just play the game.

What are your average round times like?

My average 9 holes are about an hour long when no one's in front of me. I usually pass two groups during my round single when people are ahead. Sometimes when they tell me to play through I tell them no and to go on ahead because I've already passed 2 groups that day. It's just etiquette not to ram yourself through the golf course when there's people ahead of you, but I feel since my 9 holes is about an hour without people in front of me I feel as if I could slow down and think about my shots instead of just looking and hitting.

Yeah as a single I would say no faster than an hour and a half. Maybe rethink your pre shot routine and stick to it consistently.

I hate feeling rushed in anything!

Try moving to a slower routine.
Two seconds at first, then more gradually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sometimes when I feel like I'm going too quick, I'll intentionally take a more aggressive club out of my bag, go through pre-shot, then put it back and either take it out again or pick a safer club

I used to have this problem also. I'd screw up my game by rushing things and everything is downhill thereafter.

Two things fixed this. One is the realization that if I took my time to make a good shot, that actually will take less time than I rush it and shank or chunk it and have to take the shot again nearby. I've accepted that good golfers will allow the guys in front of them enough reasonable time to hit a good shot.

Second is the fact that I actually hit better shots if I take my backswing nice and easy.

I'd rather make them wait a little longer hitting a good shot than rushing things hitting one chunk after another. Mentally things will go downhill after those chunks.

I think it's important to remember that golf is for you, not anyone else.

Like you, I share an inclination to move quickly to my ball, but I've found a way to take my time and commit to a shot before i hit it. I'm not annoyingly slow on the ball, but i spend enough time there to feel good about the shot I plan to take.

There's a bunch of ways to play fast without rushing a shot. If you can convince yourself that the pre-shot routine is the most important time on the course, I think you'll be able to stretch it a bit. Commit to a routine that slows you down.

If the group behind you catches up to you...let them go through.

One thing that helps me not feel rushed is really taking everything slow that day. Talking slower, driving to the course slower, listening to slower music before, ect. I know what your talking about feeling rushed. I feel this way specially when im running late....I get rushed and my play is terrible.

Never rush your game, you pay good money to play, so enjoy it.

As long as you're keeping up with the group ahead, you're fine.

If there is no group ahead, let them play through, it only takes a few minutes and you can relax your game by taking a break.

I don't play slow but there are those who play much faster than I do. Either way, I don't let those behind me dictate how fast I should be playing. Sometimes I will let faster players go ahead of me if their in such a hurry.

Think of being efficient instead of trying to play fast. You can often be efficient and play without being rushed and end up being faster than someone who is rushing.

The last time I played a few years ago I was playing solo. A couple of older gentlemen were catching up to me so I waved them up. We then played the next hole together. Then at the turn, which is where we happened to be, I said they should play ahead while I took a short break. Off they went. I only had to wait a little bit while they cleared the next green and didn't see them again until after the round.

Work on being efficient in your play without being rushed, the speed of play will come naturally in most cases.

Just my 2cents worth of opinion on the matter.

Never rush your game, you pay good money to play, so enjoy it.

As long as you're keeping up with the group ahead, you're fine.

If there is no group ahead, let them play through, it only takes a few minutes and you can relax your game by taking a break.
Good advice. I feel my job is to keep up to the group in front. I rarely turn around to see how close the group is behind me. I just make sure I'm ready to shoot when its my turn. and I then take the time I need to take my shot. I paid my money.

I like the thought of being efficient.

I have trouble with getting too fast too because I think I'm holding people up. It's tough to change at first, but I try to remember that if I take a few extra seconds to make a good shot, it will be faster than rushing and making multiple bad shots.

Back