Detailed course maps?

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Does anyone know where I can get detailed maps of courses with things like distances to hazards, how far a certain lay up area is ect
I guess kind of like the notes a Pro would take of a course

Thanks,
PB

Your course might have a yardage book already printed for free or not much cost.

Check the course website if it is a popular resort course otherwise google earth does wonders.

Your course might have a yardage book already printed for free or not much cost.

Not even looking for my course tbh, just courses generally. It's for my practicing :)

Yardage books, typically cost between $20-$50 depending on the course and how often they have been updated.

Not many courses up here have yardage books but I've seen some impressive work done on google earth. Is this for on course use? If it is I would set some money aside and buy a rangefinder or a GPS.

Not many courses up here have yardage books but I've seen some impressive work done on google earth. Is this for on course use? If it is I would set some money aside and buy a rangefinder or a GPS.

Nah, it's for on the range. Started playing imaginary holes rather than aimlessly hitting balls

Wanted to make a little book of different courses I can use as reference

DIY, print out satellite images of your course

A golf GPS app would work well for this. Usually if you're too far away to actually be playing the course they'll default to measuring distances from the tee box.

I'm actually surprised how much trouble I'm having finding anything like this

Can't even find somewhere online to buy yardage books for different courses

There are two ways I have done this ...

1) download the app called swing by swing which will allow you to easily figure out all the distances on every hole of most golf courses. With this app you can easily figure out how far it is to each hazard on any hole from the various tee boxes, and how much distance is left to go to the green

2) If you have a iPad or iPhone you can download the distance app. Once you have it installed you can zoom in on any area of the map to figure out any distance

Try https://www.provisualizer.com/

I know some pro's and instructors that have started using this for themselves and for the better players that are trying to learn course management.

thanks guys

1) download the app called swing by swing which will allow you to easily figure out all the distances on every hole of most golf courses. With this app you can easily figure out how far it is to each hazard on any hole from the various tee boxes, and how much distance is left to go to the green

2) If you have a iPad or iPhone you can download the distance app. Once you have it installed you can zoom in on any area of the map to figure out any distance

This is awesome. Thanks. I've been looking for something like this for planning purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swing by Swing is probably one of the easiest apps to use that I have found, but like any course mapping app it is all dependent on the course data being up to date

I like "skydroid" for android. As you can go into the edit mode on any pc, and set up nav points for all the hazards, etc. and also be able to tell if the course is plotted by gps correctly. I've found a few courses that the front/middle/back yardages were tagged like 10 yards short. (if you cannot edit, how do you know for sure the yardages they give you are correct?) You can edit and correct those in this app. I find it helps me with a new course as well seeing it through maps before hand. Best gps app hands down, and costs $2 for life, unlike alot that have expensive yearly memberships, or are overrun by ads.

I recently wanted to start making my own yardage books on courses I frequent and found it surprising that very few courses actually have yardage books anymore for sale in the pro shop. It used to be anywhere from a 1 dollar cheat sheet to a 5-10 dollar color printed booklet at most courses. Now even a lot of the non-resort higher end courses just don’t even offer them anymore. I ran across the “track notes” by Golf Steady (http://www.golfsteady.com/tracknotes) and started using them a little, but you definitely have to be doing this during the week when you’re not getting angry stares because a group of 4 is riding you every hole playing as a single. Would be so nice if everyone at THP banded together, used the same format, and made them electronically editable and up/downloadable for sharing purposes. I mean how cool would it be to have digital copies of the pros track notes! At the PGA Championship they started getting yardage books that were so detailed including laser contouring of the greens from Mark Long (Tour Sherpa) that the USGA starting whining about them. I also heard that when creating your yardage books, the best way to mark them up from scratch is to ride/walk the course from the 18th green backward, because the courses are laid out starting with the hole and working back toward the tee boxes. Thoughts?

Back