Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

Ahh ok straight Ryder Cup. 18 hole matches or 9 hole Matches?

Definitely.
No, I kid. 18 holes matches.
We might have a twist or two however....Ya just never know. :D

Definitely.
No, I kid. 18 holes matches.
We might have a twist or two however....Ya just never know. :D
Haha hence why I had to ask. I've learned to expect the unexpected. But it comes down to golf my ball and let the scoring take care of itself.

Can't wait to see the twists.

Twist: Captains have a no-holds-barred wrestling match on the 18th green for one point each day.

Twist: Captains have a no-holds-barred wrestling match on the 18th green for one point each day.
Ahhhh... Now I know why Dev has been working on the leg sweep for months.

Half points in case of ties? Can't wait to hear the twists too. In 2 weeks Ill be on the first tee for a practice round...cannot wait for that!

it was a fast 6 months...but this is going to be the longest two weeks ever...

It's weird, I don't have any real sense of time either between getting picked and now, or now and going to MB. I feel like I've been prepping forever, and I also feel like it hasn't been any time at all. Same thing with going--it feels like forever away and tomorrow at the same time.

It's hard to believe it's only 2 weeks away...wow! A couple more rounds of golf and a few hundred more range balls are all that separate us from the first tee now.

It's easy to get lost in the preparation and forget to remember just how lucky we are to be able to participate in an event like this. The sponsors are unreal especially when they go over the top like they have with the custom shafts/grips/clubs. The Captains are awesome, inclusive, and up-building which just creates a really great environment of camaraderie and competition. We all know JB and GG work extremely hard throughout the calendar so that the rest of us can experience something like this.

A fully sponsored Ryder Cup style event for amateurs from all over the Continent? At two amazing golf courses? Are you freaking kidding me?!

It seems like this thread always blows up whenever I have work or league and just can't be on the forum the whole time.

I have never worked so hard on my golf game. Actually, a few years ago, I stopped trying to 'chase perfection' and cut back on golf practice. I still worked at it leading up to our City Championship, but other than that, I just played. I actually played better, since I was no longer constantly criticizing myself after hitting a poor shot and telling myself "all that practice is wasted." But this year, in an effort to have more guided practice, I went to lessons to guide me along the way, and it has really paid off.

Fitness has also really paid off. Somewhere between increased strength, fixing Jimmy legs (that's what Freddie called it), and just an overall better swing, I more than exceeded my goals on distance gains. I don't think I could rehash everything that has been positive this season, but here are some highlights.

1) driver length increased. Drove a par 4 yesterday that was playing about 285. My driver carry has increased from approximately 230-235 last year to 250. I think that is exceptional. And no, don't expect me to be hitting 280 yard drives all the time, but 260 is becoming a norm.
2) Short game pitching has become more consistent. I actually believe I can get up and down from anywhere 30 yards and in. 30-100 yards I'm also better.
3) Putting is better. Last 2 rounds out, I have sank what I call big birdie putts. This doesn't mean 60 foot putts that drop, I'm talking the 14-18 foot putts. I felt as though the ball would go in, and it did. Putting has gone from an average of about 40 to an average of 33-34.
4) Mental game is stronger than ever. I've worked on my mental game for about the past 14-15 months now. I worked even harder on it the past 3-4 months. About a month ago, I was +8 after 4 holes, and finished the final 14 holes in +6. I'm not sure I could have done that in previous years, but I found a way to let it go, and it all started by getting back to one shot at a time. The past was in the past, I couldn't change the score on those first 4 holes, but I could certainly finish strong.

I'm still a bit up and down right now in some areas. Yesterday, things got a little sloppy in my swing. I still played well, because my short game saved me more often than not. Truthfully, I'm considering cutting out my strength training regimen, because while I'm stronger, sometimes I lose flexibility, and it leads to some things, particularly things that were happening to my swing at times yesterday. Or it may have been the fact that it was actually kind of cold yesterday. Maybe I'll stick to core only and cut out the big muscle strength training (chest, back, shoulders).

But that brings me to the next cool opportunity to really see what areas of my game need a bit more polish. KC this weekend will really show me where my game is at, maybe some things to put some last minute work (polish) on.

It's my Legacy, I'm happy with what I've done and what I've accomplished up to this point. But Legacies are never ending, you don't build it and then stop. To paraphrase Socrates
“Regard your [Legacy] as the richest jewel you can possibly be possessed of -- for credit is like fire; when once you have kindled it you may easily preserve it, but if you once extinguish it, you will find it an arduous task to rekindle it again. The way to a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.”

~Rock

Nothing will feel normal on Feiday Mornig on the range! There will be a ton of energy, a ton of excitement, and there will be a buzz like you've never felt. Saturday Morning envision the heavy dew on the fairway of the first hole of True Blue. A long par 5. Normally you push the peg in the ground. Do your thing and your off for another round of golf. On this day it will be different. You'll have feeling you've probably never felt before. your team will be there, your opponents will be watching. Perhaps your name will be called and it's your turn. Center stage! Everything you've worked for thus far will be on display! Enjoy that moment. Very few have or will ever have that kind of experience! It's freaking AMAZING! We are all there beside of the vision, hard work, and dedication to the game and this community from two very special people. Enjoy the rest of this wild ride boys!

It's my Legacy, I'm happy with what I've done and what I've accomplished up to this point. But Legacies are never ending, you don't build it and then stop. To paraphrase Socrates
“Regard your [Legacy] as the richest jewel you can possibly be possessed of -- for credit is like fire; when once you have kindled it you may easily preserve it, but if you once extinguish it, you will find it an arduous task to rekindle it again. The way to a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.”

~Rock

47875cdb6635d367992e8a975bdc3f57ea361c24bded2178310eab6c7a110561_zpsctqkwh5f.jpg

Nothing will feel normal on Feiday Mornig on the range! There will be a ton of energy, a ton of excitement, and there will be a buzz like you've never felt. Saturday Morning envision the heavy dew on the fairway of the first hole of True Blue. A long par 5. Normally you push the peg in the ground. Do your thing and your off for another round of golf. On this day it will be different. You'll have feeling you've probably never felt before. your team will be there, your opponents will be watching. Perhaps your name will be called and it's your turn. Center stage! Everything you've worked for thus far will be on display! Enjoy that moment. Very few have or will ever have that kind of experience! It's freaking AMAZING! We are all there beside of the vision, hard work, and dedication to the game and this community from two very special people. Enjoy the rest of this wild ride boys!

Love the mental picture there. Long dew covered par 5 to start...I should feel RIGHT at home out there haha, but I know better than that.

This is so true. I can't wait to get on the road!

So I have a handicap question for JB--at THP events do you use handicap index, or course handicap? Relevant for us high handicap guys, they're significantly different.

For example my index is 29.2. At True Blue, my course handicap from the whites is 34 and from the blues it's 35. At Caledonia, my course handicap is 33 from the whites and 35 from the blues. A 4-6 stroke difference is pretty material, especially if I'm matched against a single digit. That would mean I'd have to shoot like 5 under my handicap just to tie.

So I have a handicap question for JB--at THP events do you use handicap index, or course handicap? Relevant for us high handicap guys, they're significantly different.

For example my index is 29.2. At True Blue, my course handicap from the whites is 34 and from the blues it's 35. At Caledonia, my course handicap is 33 from the whites and 35 from the blues. A 4-6 stroke difference is pretty material, especially if I'm matched against a single digit. That would mean I'd have to shoot like 5 under my handicap just to tie.

assuming that your opponent shoots to their handicap. I'm interested in the answer as well, but I wouldn't throw that kind of pressure or thought process on yourself. Not to mention it's match play, your stroke total for the round is irrelevant. Hole by hole battles.

I agree, that is not something I would even think about :)

assuming that your opponent shoots to their handicap. I'm interested in the answer as well, but I wouldn't throw that kind of pressure or thought process on yourself. Not to mention it's match play, your stroke total for the round is irrelevant. Hole by hole battles.

Last edited:
At The King 1 we didn't use course handicaps, but that has no bearing on Legacy obviously.

Right, but we're talking up to 5 pops. You can say "hole to hole is what matters" and that's true, but part of having a chance of winning a hole is whether you're fairly matched for that hole.

Seeing that we have done split tees here before I dont know that you could do course handicap, just gotta roll with the raw #.

Seeing that we have done split tees here before I dont know that you could do course handicap, just gotta roll with the raw #.
You could average them.

If we go with index, match me up against your highest hcp for singles to make it fair please. :act-up:

Right, but we're talking up to 5 pops. You can say "hole to hole is what matters" and that's true, but part of having a chance of winning a hole is whether you're fairly matched for that hole.
What difference does it make? Are you going to try less hard if you get more pops? Are you going to try harder if you get fewer? Give it everything you've got in competition like I know you've been doing in prep and the scores will fall where they fall.

Back