2017 TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review is the 2017 TaylorMade M2 fairway wood. Slight changes to the crown with some pretty obvious alterations to the sole at first glance, with a new take on sound and by their comments, better performance. On paper, this fairway wood is bringing some serious heat.

From TaylorMade

FAST. FAR. FORGIVING.

In the 2017 M2 fairway, the ultimate distance fairway has been made even more forgiving with the incorporation of a recessed 6-layer carbon composite crown, Inverted Cone Technology (for the first time in a TaylorMade fairway) and a new Geocoustic sole design. Additionally, a longer, more flexible Speed Pocket and lighter fluted hosel create a low CG that produces fast ball speeds for an incredibly long, high-launching, and low-spinning fairway.

TaylorMade. #1 Fairway in GolfTM

GEOCOUSTIC TECHNOLOGY

Geocoustic engineering combines advanced sole shaping with externalized sound ribs to produce best-in-class sound and feel. Designed with a two-tiered sole, golfers will experience the same unreal distance of the original M2 with added playability from all lies.

OTHER KEY TECHNOLOGIES:

6-layer carbon composite crown saves weight for lower CG
Speed Pocket for more distance and forgiveness on low-face strikes
Inverted Cone Technology for a large sweet spot and a faster face

SHAFT, GRIP, AND LOFT

M2 fairway comes equipped with the M2 REAX shaft designed in weights most appropriate for each golfer's swing speed, 75 S-flex, 65 R-flex, 55 A-flex, and 45 L-flex. For golfers looking for a more personalized fit, several aftermarket shafts and grips are available at no additional charge. Additionally, it comes with a new 47g Dual Feel Performance Grip for men. M2 Fairway will be offered in 15° (3), 16.5° (3HL) & 18° (5), 21° (5HL) and 24° (7HL) loft options, while LH models will be offered in 15°, 16.5° & 18° lofts.

In Hand Photos

0404171624c-X2.jpg

0404171624a-X2.jpg

0404171624b-X2.jpg

0404171624e-X2.jpg

0404171623c-X2.jpg

0404171622a-X2.jpg

0404171626-X2.jpg

0404171625d-X2.jpg

0404171624i-X2.jpg

0404171625-X2.jpg

0404171628c-X2.jpg

2016 m2 was a damn good fw. Was great sounding too. Interested to hear if they improved on that this year

Great pics Captain Dan. Look forward to reading this. My experience with TM woods is that they are filthy long, but not forgiving enough for my game - especially close to the hosel. Hopefully their inverted cone tech helps in that regard.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your thoughts with this. I have the tour 3hl on order and in my 15 or so shots with it at acdeno day it's as good as last years with better sound

Looking forward to following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one definitely needs a bump. Shocked there isn't more excitement about this one as it seems people still clamor over TM fairway woods.

Must have gotten lost in all the Masters coverage, the poor thing.

How's your early feedback with this one Dan?

2017 TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Doing my bag fitting on Monday. This will be on the radar. I did hit the 5W at Golftec a couple of days ago and enjoyed it but I love my D200 3H so I didn't really give the 5W much thought. I'm looking at a driver and 3W. I love the look of the M2.

I put the 2017 M2 15 degree in my bag this year. So far the results are good. I need some warmer weather golf to see more from this club.

Pros:
1. High launch - I'm a low launcher and I'm hitting a high cut with this club - that's huge for me
2. Workability - I'm able to hit it both ways, while I play the cut, I can hit the draw when needed.
3. Distance - It's long - On the launch monitor I was gaining 15-20 yards from my old 3wood. It feels long on the course too - but I live in Michigan and it's wet, soggy and cold still.

Cons:
1. Adjustability - you can't adjust this club - and I like clubs that you can adjust!
2. Feel - the feel is just average - more of a click then a pop sound - if you know what I mean.

Still have 7 days for my shaft that's on back order so probably looking end of month before I get my hands on this again. As a club that will be a tinkerer I can't wait as the tour head is fun to hit and good to look at. With the limited time with both models the m2 is a higher launch and higher overall flight compared to m1

Have the 2016 version and absolutely love it...can they possibly improve it?

Waiting for the review of the 2017 M2 "Tour" version. It has a smaller head and sole weight, which I prefer.

I put the 2017 M2 15 degree in my bag this year. So far the results are good. I need some warmer weather golf to see more from this club.

Pros:
1. High launch - I'm a low launcher and I'm hitting a high cut with this club - that's huge for me
2. Workability - I'm able to hit it both ways, while I play the cut, I can hit the draw when needed.
3. Distance - It's long - On the launch monitor I was gaining 15-20 yards from my old 3wood. It feels long on the course too - but I live in Michigan and it's wet, soggy and cold still.

Cons:
1. Adjustability - you can't adjust this club - and I like clubs that you can adjust!
2. Feel - the feel is just average - more of a click then a pop sound - if you know what I mean.

What club did it replace?

I've had the M2 fairway out a couple times, and have really enjoyed my experiences so far.

From 2016, there are some subtle changes that I think merit conversation. The sound last year was very muted for a TaylorMade, more 'thwack" than anything else which I actually really enjoyed. This year, that sound remains fairly close to the same when struck right on the button with maybe a touch livelier sound as a whole. Moving away from the center, there's a bit more of a 'ping' to the head which is a nice telling sound that contact could have been better. Makes sense that it would change with their push for "Geocoustic technology."

From the tee I can get some serious height with the Reax shaft when teed a bit higher, but I am not ballooning anything. The Reax has a bit of give to it, but it's not wobbly or soft in the stiff profile. Promotes for me a mid launch off the fairway and a mid/high launch off a tee.

The jury is still out on how effective it can be from the fairway, as I've hit it a few times but a couple were on the downslope which promoted a bit of a low pull. The third shot was easily my best with the club. I had 250 to an uphill flag with mid-height trees not too far ahead of me, and managed to take a bit of grass/dirt to get to the central equator of the ball and launch it well. Landed just shy of the pin and rolled out, which I would say is on par or better than what I would expect.

I'll have more thoughts as I play this weekend. Feel free to ask any questions.

Pretty wild round tonight with the M2 fairway. I hit it for the first time on #4 and absolutely hit the best ball yet with it, but I noticed the sound was a bit higher pitched than normal. Didn't think much of it, hit it again from the fairway with no issues, and continued on my round. Back in my hands on the 7th tee, I hit one a bit low towards the heel and my Dad commented that it was a strange sound. Hit a second ball to see if it changed at all, and this one sounded much better -- Figured it was the audible variance around the face.

Then I looked down and noticed a line forming underneath the bottom groove, with what looked like a bit of a crack in the black finish at the base of the head. Laughed a bit at the thought of caving a head in, and continued to play. Back on the tee for the 8th hole, I hit two more balls and at this point, a notable fracture started to form. Once again on the 9th, two more incredibly well struck balls, and this time the face was a disaster.

Very interesting stuff. Fortunately we're going to get this replaced so I can continue the review, and TaylorMade can take a look at what's going on here. These things happen, but I'll admit it is the first time for me!! I feel quite strong right now!!

6eac314fc8852b078a384c4f08bafc2a.png

d5c58a3a7a74bbba17f284a48b7bc268.png

105edf7e7bf0d9d049939ad3ac8269f2.png

Beastly...should have let me get it broken in first ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Damn that head is deeeestroyed.

You're gonna need a tour spec head. You're too much for mere mortal heads!

Lay off the poutine you savage.

Wow the Carnage. You destroyed that head

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Beast mode Dan!

That's pretty impressive Dan. Knew you were a good ball striker, but didn't realize you had that kind of power.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back