"Players' Irons" for a Sweeper?

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
I am thinking about getting a backup/mess around set of irons. I want a blade or muscleback iron that is soft. I like Mizuno and Titleist, but am open to any that have that "buttery" feeling. Also, I am a sweeper (what's a divot?). I'm generally center of the iron but if I miss, it is low on the blade. I currently play the 714 AP2s with a Mizuno MP-H4 3 iron.

As this would be a backup/mess around set, I don't want to spend a ton of money. For example, I'm considering the MP-33s, the 710mbs, etc. and do have a special affinity for Mizuno. But I would be buying these on blind faith so all thoughts are appreciated.

*Edit - I'm just looking for ideas at this point; I kind of know where to start but thought those that have played these type of irons for years might have great suggestions.

Last edited:
Should this be in the marketplace? Or are you just looking for suggestions?

Should this be in the marketplace? Or are you just looking for suggestions?

I'm just looking for suggestions and thoughts on what players' irons would work/what irons wouldn't work. Sorry, I'll edit to clarify.

As long as your hands are ahead of the club at impact, any blade will work

Every club feels like butter when you hit the sweet spot .

The titleist cb's are fantastic irons IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srixon 745

Srixon 745

Wonderful, wonderful iron. But this is a backup set and the 745s are still pricey. I'm guessing the v-sole would be pretty awesome for a sweeper, however...

I love my amp cell pros, and I'm very much a sweeper.

I don't know that they make player's irons specifically for sweepers, but I'll say that my favorite true players sticks I've swung are Titleist CB's, Mizuno MP64's, and Adams CMB's.

If you're interested, I'd sell you the set of CMB's I have just sitting in my closet. At the very least, if we are able to tee it up on June 13th, I can bring them with me and you can game them if you like.

It doesn't exactly fit into the blade or muscleback category, but I've played the Bridgestone J40 DPC irons and they are great for a sweeper like myself as well as having pretty good feel. I'd assume that the J40 CB irons would be a little more compact but still work well for a sweeper too.

I'm a sweeper and I game Mizuno MP67's during the summer. They are a really sweet set of irons (see my avatar) that you should be able to pick up inexpensively.

What about the Callaway Diablo Forged? I know they're not blades, but they're what I gamed for a long time before getting my 545s. Forged, forgiving and have one of the best buttery feelings out there. They have a nice, low sweetspot which should lend yourself to a sweeper swing (which is what I have myself).

Could also go with Razr X Musclebacks.

I love my amp cell pros, and I'm very much a sweeper.

Was going to be my suggestion. Can be had for a great price, even in new condition on the bay.

It doesn't exactly fit into the blade or muscleback category, but I've played the Bridgestone J40 DPC irons and they are great for a sweeper like myself as well as having pretty good feel. I'd assume that the J40 CB irons would be a little more compact but still work well for a sweeper too.

This is where I'd go first as well. Even in a combo if necessary.

Sweeping with the DPCs = nowhere near the punishment you probably deserve for those thin shots.

And CJ has a set in the marketplace at a steal of a price and is willing to negotiate

Another vote for the DPC's. I had success with them as a sweeper as well.

Wonderful, wonderful iron. But this is a backup set and the 745s are still pricey. I'm guessing the v-sole would be pretty awesome for a sweeper, however...

The 545 at least don't feel all that great on shots thin - you absolutely get the help, but the "thin" feel is pretty strong. I've heard good things about the Ping S series for sweepers. The S56 might be able to be had for not a ton.

Believe it or not the VR pros are a great iron IMO. You can't go wrong with any titleist or mizuno either.

I always liked the 695 mb... had them twice and was playing some great golf with them till I just lost my swing... I thought they were pretty forgiving for a blade.

I appreciate all of the responses. However, I do want to be clear that I'm looking at blades/musclebacks only. I'm not trying to replace my current irons (AP2s). Rather, I just want a great, extremely-soft feeling blade/mb to use every so often. If it happens to work well with a "sweeper" swing, all the better. (I would think that certain soles might be better? Maybe I'm crazy.)

*I also recognize that this is a pure vanity project for me. I don't yet have the game to play blades - I'm close - but the idea seems like something fun to do and might possibly improve my ball-striking.

If you want PURE blades, look at the Wilson Staff FG62's, Nike VR Pro, or Cobra Amp Cell Pro (the blade-only set Rickie used). Favorite ones I've swung.

I'm not sure you'll find a ton of variation in sole designs for MB irons. Not to the point that one becomes all that better for a sweeper swing. I'm sure there's some marketing material out there to dispute that for some set, but I'll stand by it.

As for what to get, hell I don't know. Search some used bins and I bet you find something.

Not really sure if there are any blades that are out there that are noticeably better for sweepers.

Back