So, did Sergio move his ball?!

I really don't think it did move. I think a piece of pine straw in front of the ball is what moves, not the ball itself.

But, the fact that there is doubt on what moved in the first place, means the right call was made.

Also - I hope it did move, because that's a terrible rule. Didn't he just take a drop anyway? I give zero F's even if it did.

In my opinion, if you have to use slow motion replay to tell if it moved or not, and you can't see it by the naked eye, then it's a good no call...as it should be.

I don't see anything but I'm also not drawing lines on my TV with magic marker to see it either .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a situation like that can the ball "oscillate" as long is it doesn't move/rotate?

Why did I open this thread...

I think it did, and I think they made the right call.

Same here. When they cut to it in the middle of the broadcast all I could think was "you've got to be freaking kidding me" but thankfully they quickly said the PGA ruled on it and moved on. I was going to be pissed if they went back and penalized him and effected the outcome of a great battle.

Here is my question. if the rules are black and white (which we have been told far too often) (And is absurd), if this was in a regular PGA Tour Event, it would have been called.
Unless of course it happens on a Sunday, because emailing in on Sunday has different rules than Thursday-Saturday...haha

I'll put it this way... If you need a super slomo zoomed in camera to see movement. It didn't move enough. lol

I'll say it again... let them play! It's really making it hard to watch and enjoy watching the game on TV when there's always some sort of conspiracy going on about whether a ball moved or not.

In my opinion, if you have to use slow motion replay to tell if it moved or not, and you can't see it by the naked eye, then it's a good no call...as it should be.

There's already a decision which says just that. I absolutely agree this was an instance of that. He could not have seen that movement with the naked eye.

This ball moved no more than Spieth's early in the week where he grounded his club in the first cut... the ball appeared to do a little more than oscillate and settle... but officials came over, ruled on it, and we moved on... just like it should be...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Here is my question. if the rules are black and white (which we have been told far too often) (And is absurd), if this was in a regular PGA Tour Event, it would have been called.
Unless of course it happens on a Sunday, because emailing in on Sunday has different rules than Thursday-Saturday...haha

Wait, what is your question ?.

This ball moved no more than Spieth's early in the week where he grounded his club in the first cut... the ball appeared to do a little more than oscillate and settle... but officials came over, ruled on it, and we moved on... just like it should be...

The difference here is that it was ruled on immediately at the time that it happened. What bothers me and I assume others here is that people are calling in, or emailing the PGA for them to review a possible rules infringement.

Here's a hypothetical. What if Sergio said today, "yeah I made the ball move, but the official didn't see it that way so I didn't record a penalty."

The difference here is that it was ruled on immediately at the time that it happened. What bothers me and I assume others here is that people are calling in, or emailing the PGA for them to review a possible rules infringement.
I agree with you, another big difference is that Spieth's ball moved enough to be seen by the naked eye, whereas Sergio's didn't IMO. So for people to be calling this in is ridiculous when not clamoring about the Spieth ball. Some people just need a hobby

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I agree with you, another big difference is that Spieth's ball moved enough to be seen by the naked eye, whereas Sergio's didn't IMO.

This is key. Chances are Sergio didn't see the ball sink in the pine needles as he was more concerned with removing the needles at the time. What I find interesting is that he immediately stopped moving needles, however, as soon as the ball sunk. Could be coincidental.

It moved but they ruled that a penalty wasnt neccesary. Im OK with it. Its not as if he improved his lie.

I agree that the ball did move but I don't believe that a penalty was warranted. Part of the remedy for violating this rule is to replace the ball to its original position. Seems to me that is not possible in this case. Therefore, a penalty is not warranted.

Recall that Tiger Woods was penalized for the same infraction in the 2013 BMW Championship though. I don't believe that he should have been penalized either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueXaH1wfawA

I have an idea: stop letting the cameras zoom in on the ball. Then all of this will go away.

I think it moved, but i think the call they made was the right one. Here's why. I can't remember the podcast it was from but the host stated that the top "featured group" guys and girls on tour play under a different set of rules now days due to technology. They featured players are always under the scrutiny of instant replay because they're always the focus of the broadcast. They not so famous guys struggling to make cuts and top 50 finishes that very rarely get TV time don't have to worry nearly as much about if their ball moved a half of a dimple or if they placed their ball a half inch from where it should have been. The only people seeing these things with these players are their partners, caddies and rules officials. I never really thought of it that way but it makes good sense.

I'm going to file whether it moved or not under the "discernible advantage" idea. Personal opinion, a round table of people who think Lexi Thompson is a dirty cheat would have trouble believing or justifying the idea that, if Sergio's ball moved, he actually gained an advantage from its movement.

Did Sergio's ball move? I dunno. Sometimes I watch it and I think it moved, and sometimes I watch it and I think it didn't. I'm inclined to think it did. But never and under no circumstances do I think that the ball became any easier to hit for it. I don't think that, even if Sergio thought he saw it move, did he think it would be easier to hit as a result.

Good no call, gravity is to blame.

Back