Crows and Ravens taking balls during a Round

six-foe

Reaction score
Handicap
hello all, I am from northern Canada and golfing is in "full swing" now. loving the game and all that goes with it......only thing bugging the hell out of me is these crows and ravens taking our golf balls at our only course up here.

I am consistently losing 3-4 prov1x's a round and getting every aggravating....sometimes 2 a hole!!!! GRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr

Do you guys have any tricks to making these thieves leave the ball alone?

I tried spraying "OFF" (bug juice) on the ball and doesn't seem to work.

PS: funny last night I went out and was sick of losing a excellent ball so I pulled out a top flight I found on the course.
par 5.....I hit it on fairway......crow goes for it.....and leaves it. I get up to it and hit it on the green....going for an eagle....crow flies down,.....I thought it was gone....bird leaves it...

next hole...par 4....hit it down the pipe.....same thing....bird goes for it and leaves it.....

I'm gonna name that f**king bird ProV right away. hahhahahhaha

PPS: our driving range has already lost about 1600 balls already and is closed bc of those buggers.

Maybe he knew it was an eagle putt and go confused. In all honestly I havnt dealt with this, usally they just dive at my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hello all, I am from northern Canada and golfing is in "full swing" now. loving the game and all that goes with it......only thing bugging the hell out of me is these crows and ravens taking our golf balls at our only course up here.

I am consistently losing 3-4 prov1x's a round and getting every aggravating....sometimes 2 a hole!!!! GRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr

I tried spraying "OFF" (bug juice) on the ball and doesn't seem to work.

PS: funny last night I went out and was sick of losing a excellent ball so I pulled out a top flight I found on the course.
par 5.....I hit it on fairway......crow goes for it.....and leaves it. I get up to it and hit it on the green....going for an eagle....crow flies down,.....I thought it was gone....bird leaves it...

next hole...par 4....hit it down the pipe.....same thing....bird goes for it and leaves it.....

I'm gonna name that f**king bird ProV right away. hahhahahhaha

We we had a similar problem at our course, we ended up getting someone out to shoot them. Only need to do it a few times then the other crows get the message and stay away.

I can absolutely see how that can be aggravating, and unfortunately have no solution or tips...but that's kind funny haha

When it doubt, shoot.

Crows at least are legal to shoot in Canada. I would say that they would be considered an "other nuisance" in this case under the law.

[h=2]Can I legally kill crows without a hunting license?[/h]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The crow is classified as a predatory bird (WAC 232-12-004). A hunting license and an open season are required to hunt them legally in Washington. However, under federal regulations, individuals may kill crows without a hunting license or permit when the birds are found committing, or about to commit, depredations on agricultural crops, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance (16 U.S.C. Sections 703-712). For more information, see WDFW's "Living with Wildlife: Crows" fact sheet.[/FONT]

I know growing up in Wisconsin crows would rarely fly within 60 yards of people because during hunting season they were likely to be killed if they did. I've had a couple hunts in the Minneapolis area when they allow for special goose permits for some of the local courses. . Geese on the course are becoming such a big problem in Minnesota that they open up summer goose seasons in some areas with a 10 bird daily limit and no possession limit. We have a goose problem at our course but a couple members keep it under control with some fireworks a couple days each week. The course also moves coyote decoys and Swan decoys around the course which seem to be somewhat effective.

Maybe take your dog golfing with you?

They get after my sandwich more than my ball.

The course needs a dog to scare the birds away.

I find it funny that the crows have a taste for ProVs. We have the Geese problem but only around Holes 3-5 where we have water hazard. Just with their poop being everywhere, they usually stay out the way and only 20-30 of them hanging around.

I've never heard of them running off with balls. Now they were tearing stuff out of our cart left and right when we were in California.... but never came close to our golf balls. I'd think spraying it with any type of scent would actually make them think it's food and go for it. But I'm not sure there's anything those things won't try to eat..... I'm just wondering where the heck they are putting these things.......

12 guage, I shoot a Browning. If you can't do that you might try some other noisemaker to get them to go away.

Great. Just what we need. Golfers with shotguns on the course....

;)

Maybe slightly off the topic, but we had a crow go into my buddy's cart today while we were on the green putting. The bird flew away with his multi-grain snack! I guess that is better than flying away with a golf ball though.

Great. Just what we need. Golfers with shotguns on the course....

;)

You know I have never shot a target on the trap field next to mine, but have managed to put a golf ball on another fairway. I think I am safer with the shotgun :egyptian:

We have hole where you have to carry it over water, and then walk around the lake to your ball. Happened more than once a bird grabbed a ball, flew away with it, and then dropped it into the lake you just skillfully avoided hitting it in...

Last round, while on the green putting, a crow ransacked my bag and destroyed a couple of sandwiches that were in if. The zipper was only open a couple of inches, but enough for him (of her) to see it, rip through the plastic bags and enjoy my homemade peanut butter- and chicken sandwiches.

Happened at my local course. A kid I knew found their hiding spot in a tree and he now has golf balls for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have hole where you have to carry it over water, and then walk around the lake to your ball. Happened more than once a bird grabbed a ball, flew away with it, and then dropped it into the lake you just skillfully avoided hitting it in...

Last round, while on the green putting, a crow ransacked my bag and destroyed a couple of sandwiches that were in if. The zipper was only open a couple of inches, but enough for him (of her) to see it, rip through the plastic bags and enjoy my homemade peanut butter- and chicken sandwiches.
Peanut butter and chicken?? Barffff lol.

This is all too funny. No bird problems here thank goodness

Shoot a few around the course and leave them where they fall. When the others see the dead they will stay away. Its unfortunate but its one of the few things that will keep them away.

Other than that you can come to Riverside in Edmonton and kidnap a few squirrels. They are ball theives too but you can usually chase them off. When you don't, they put the balls to good use by filling the magpie and crows nests with golf balls. I imagine they throw the eggs out too but it is rare to see a crow or a magpie around the course but not so with squirrels.

sounds like you need a 15th club in the bag.......a shotgun!

I had both a PB sandwich and a chicken sandwich! I'm not an animal!
Lmao ok gotcha. That crow ate good then

At first I thought this was a joke - thank you for the very entertaining read!

Maybe you should plant scarecrows throughout the fairways and around greens?

I have reverted to shooting a top flight or what ever low ball I have off the tee.......and then I switch balls for approach shots....I know its not right but losing a 5 dollar ball 3-4 times a round is maddening.

I have reverted to shooting a top flight or what ever low ball I have off the tee.......and then I switch balls for approach shots....I know its not right but losing a 5 dollar ball 3-4 times a round is maddening.

The course should invest in a dog to chase them away.

Back