The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Do you think playing in some tournaments/events would have helped you come game time?

No. I was playing in events almost weekly and have been through more than my share of THP match play events.

Nerves weren't there...I just didn't hit the shots in singles that I hit the day prior and paid the price. Harry was solid and didn't leave many openings in that match.

How about physical exhaustion, any previous participants struggle at all with losing their swing a little after playing so many holes? Guess others who have played in other big events that go 36-18 could maybe comment on that as well. I know for me just this past weekend playing 36 in a day was pretty tiring. I hadn't played that much at once in a long time. I think I'd definitely have to work more on my conditioning leading up to something like this, or at least get out and play some long days of golf.

I played with 2 Grandaddy vets this weekend, and without prompting they were still talking about this one. Honestly I can't blame them. I can't wait for a chance to get in.

How about physical exhaustion, any previous participants struggle at all with losing their swing a little after playing so many holes? Guess others who have played in other big events that go 36-18 could maybe comment on that as well. I know for me just this past weekend playing 36 in a day was pretty tiring. I hadn't played that much at once in a long time. I think I'd definitely have to work more on my conditioning leading up to something like this, or at least get out and play some long days of golf.

The comfort stations and people bringing you bluberry infused vodka lemonades made the long days much more tolerable. :D

Hey previous #Thegranddady THPers...

What's the one thing you wish you would have taken more time on while you were in the event? Be it more time talking/hanging with the #ZooCrew, more time/more questions for their world class fitters, etc. There are always things that we can look back on after the fact and think that it would have been cool to do X Y or Z a little more, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/suggestions towards the 3rd group of participants this year. Not necessarily in a regret type of way, just something you enjoyed that if you were to do it again you would spend more time with.

Now that I'm an albatross club member, and received an extra week of vacation this year, I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring to try and make this my first (hopefully of many) THP events!

What's the one thing you wish you would have taken more time on while you were in the event? Be it more time talking/hanging with the #ZooCrew, more time/more questions for their world class fitters, etc. There are always things that we can look back on after the fact and think that it would have been cool to do X Y or Z a little more, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/suggestions towards the 3rd group of participants this year. Not necessarily in a regret type of way, just something you enjoyed that if you were to do it again you would spend more time with.

Either I am the worst at giving advice or just not that smart but I just wouldn't have done things any different. Callaway just flat out got it right last year. I never felt rushed or out of time and yet there was always something new and interesting to do. Things were planned with a crazy amount of precision. Maybe I would have sat farther away from the live music one night at dinner?

Either I am the worst at giving advice or just not that smart but I just wouldn't have done things any different. Callaway just flat out got it right last year. I never felt rushed or out of time and yet there was always something new and interesting to do. Things were planned with a crazy amount of precision. Maybe I would have sat farther away from the live music one night at dinner?

I don't think there's anything wrong with this answer. It just shows how much effort they took to make this event as perfect as possible. Totally acceptable in my book.

I wish I would've been more open from an equipment perspective. I REALLY went in there with a bag made up in my head and didn't really stray from it. From longer clubs to irons to the putter. Wish I would've asked more questions and kept an open mind to trying anything and everything.

I wish I would've been more open from an equipment perspective. I REALLY went in there with a bag made up in my head and didn't really stray from it. From longer clubs to irons to the putter. Wish I would've asked more questions and kept an open mind to trying anything and everything.
This is great advise. Do you think you would have ended up with different equipment in some spots, or tough to know?

This is great advise. Do you think you would have ended up with different equipment in some spots, or tough to know?

Definitely would have ended up with different irons, I was hitting Apex really well but had max forgiveness on my mind.

Perhaps a different putter also, didn't give anything non CS a legit chance and I believe the #7 CS was only CS in product line at that time.

The one thing I'd do differently is take more pictures.

I'm ready to play coach. However I have a question, what happens if we are all using our Folds of Honor Challenge Coin as ball markers and get confused on spots on the Green after being so delirious with glee over the chance to play in The Granddaddy?

Taking pictures is the one thing I would definitely be doing, although it might make playing golf a bit trickier when you are looking at a shot thinking about how good a desktop background it would make :desire:

I'm ready to play coach. However I have a question, what happens if we are all using our Folds of Honor Challenge Coin as ball markers and get confused on spots on the Green after being so delirious with glee over the chance to play in The Granddaddy?

Well... If it's at the hideaway use one of these...
a4b2ffad05ae90dc26bb8a2cdfb0373f.jpg

See I thought about that. Would I like to have a few more photos..sure. I think I would have missed out on some things or not soaked it in a much if I did however.

See I thought about that. Would I like to have a few more photos..sure. I think I would have missed out on some things or not soaked it in a much if I did however.

I agree.
More pictures, but not a ton more.
Really, I only took about 20-30 total.

I would change nothing except learning that when AJ gets his 4th bloody Mary in him he turns into Gary Woodland.

Sooooooooooo the #Grandaddy.... That's pretty freaking cool isn't it? :act-up: Coming soon...to a golf course more than likely not near you :p Unless you live in California.... but even then...It's a big state!

Previous participants...... Prior to getting to California to compete.... What is the 1 thing you would have done different to prepare? Do you think it would have changed your personal outcomes?

Just being honest here, I would not have changed a thing prep wise

Again not to sound like a jerk or a broken record, but I really wouldn't change a thing because my entire experience was absolutely amazing from start to finish. Callaway rolled out the red carpet and then some in every aspect possible.

If I were forced to choose something...I would have had a few more questions ready to go for the Q & A. We could have asked anything at that time to some brilliant people, I personally felt like I dropped the ball on that opportunity.

Again not to sound like a jerk or a broken record, but I really wouldn't change a thing because my entire experience was absolutely amazing from start to finish. Callaway rolled out the red carpet and then some in every aspect possible.

If I were forced to choose something...I would have had a few more questions ready to go for the Q & A. We could have asked anything at that time to some brilliant people, I personally felt like I dropped the ball on that opportunity.

haha not a jerk at all! That's actually a really good answer to hear honestly.

Pretty sure I'd trust Callaway to fit me to their equipment. I'm pretty sure in every case I'd listen to their recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it works for their pros, I think it could work for me!!!

Okay, here's something for the board to ponder and discuss, as it relates to mental approach, interractions with your partner and really being part of a team. I once had a THP partner tell me the following just before we headed off to the first tee: "The only rule is this: No saying 'I'm sorry'." Thoughts?

Ha I think I took like 80 or so at #TheKing and felt like I didn't get enough. But I'm a big picture fan. :)

I agree.
More pictures, but not a ton more.
Really, I only took about 20-30 total.

Back