Does the sound and feel of the ball off your putter really matter to you?

anthony18_7

Go Blue
Reaction score
Handicap
Before I really got into THP, maybe 3-4 months ago, I never really considered the sound or feel of the golf ball off my putter. Upon reading through the THP forums I have come to realize that a lot of folks place this in high regard when testing out new golf balls. I now find myself listening and taking into account the feel off the putter face and it makes me wonder if and how much this matters to me.

So here are my questions: does the sound and feel off your putter matter to you? If it does, how much does that come into play when you are testing out golf balls and/or putters? Do you make purchase decisions with these things in mind?

I look forward to reading your feedback. Thanks!

Before I really got into THP, maybe 3-4 months ago, I never really considered the sound or feel of the golf ball off my putter. Upon reading through the THP forums I have come to realize that a lot of folks place this in high regard when testing out new golf balls. I now find myself listening and taking into account the feel off the putter face and it makes me wonder if and how much this matters to me.

So here are my questions: does the sound and feel off your putter matter to you? If it does, how much does that come into play when you are testing out golf balls and/or putters? Do you make purchase decisions with these things in mind?

I look forward to reading your feedback. Thanks!

To some extent it does matter. Feel and sound are directly linked, I can't abide a harsh feeling ball of the putter, but I've got a pretty wide margin from "too soft" to "too harsh"

Oddly when trying out a new golf ball, one of the first things I do it pull out my putter for the sound and feel ... I like a soft feel, and mentally putt better with the soft feel and sound

Sound/feel is important in all my clubs. When it comes to the putter a lot of it comes down to distance control. If it's too soft and I have to adjust my stroke to get the ball to the hole that's no bueno.

Absolutely! For me it's just preference and what gives me confidence. I don't like a ball that is really clicky, it's just not something I'm comfortable with. When it comes to feel most of the popular higher end balls feel similar to me and I could probably game about any one of them. Sound is the biggest issue for me.

100%. I prefer a soft ball and soft feel off the face of my putter. It's night and day when putting a Chrome Soft or what have you, versus pulling an old ball out of a shag bag. I'm not too, too picky as long as it doesn't sound like I'm hitting a rock.

Yes. The softer and more dense is feels/sounds the better.

Absolutely matters. I haven't found the ball to make the biggest difference though in terms of me liking or disliking it, it tends to be the putter itself. If I don't like the sound off of the putter it won't last long.

I think its been exhaustively mentioned on here that sound and feel go hand in hand, but that aspect is incredibly important to me with my putter. I want to hear enough of a sound to have clear feedback. I don't want the ball, or the putter, to have the same sound or feel all over the face. I want to know when I've made a mistake, and I'd like to know what that mistake was. I don't want this feedback to be punishing or harsh, but I want it.

the feel absolutely, the sound, not so much...

For me I like a softer feel,I look for sound the roll and consistency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to say that it "doesn't matter" as I prefer a softer sound/feel, but it is so low on my want list that it might as well not matter.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

the only ball I have ever noticed the sound or feel of is a rock flite, and that is the one ball I will not play, even in mud bog winter conditions where I lose about 1 in 4 balls just because it buries so deep in the ground when it lands...but the sound/feel of a rock flite off ANY club...that horrific "click" where I look around to see who is playing little league aluminum bat baseball even when it was me that hit the shot...

other than that, no.

It matters 100% to me. I tend to like a very specific feel that isn't too soft or too firm and I've found a number of different putter faces that make me happy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

the feel absolutely, the sound, not so much...

Have you ever tried putting with different putters while wearing headphones?

It definitely makes a difference to me. If something sounds horrible (to my ears), then i won't game it. I have in the past, and probably will in the future, gamed putters where the sound was not as nice as I'd prefer, but performance was good.

Feel, yes, sound no. I like a good feel at contact, but I've had old, hard putters that I've had no issues using. Maybe the sound makes a difference, maybe not, I don't know. All I know is that by the time I hear the sound and register it, the ball is off the club and on its way. So how a putter sounds is irrelevant to me.

I think I would love to see people do a blind folded putter test and see if they could tell what they were putting. My guess is most would havea time picking out a Pro V1 and Say a Wilson Duo or something.

I think I would love to see people do a blind folded putter test and see if they could tell what they were putting. My guess is most would havea time picking out a Pro V1 and Say a Wilson Duo or something.

Ehhh...blindfolded I absolutely would. Depending on putter, a harder cover will make a much different noise than a soft cover. It's pretty crazy how much different they sound off certain putters I have.

Ear plugs though, not so much.

yes. for me I don't like it to be too click

Absolutely. Sound is feel.

I want a putter feels soft, and sounds solid. Played with a guy yesterday that was playing an Edel putter and it sounded like the Ping TiSi driver every time he hit a putt. No way I could game that.

Yes. If it clicks it's no good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, I don't even really notice.

Back