Wet compacted bunkers

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
Yesterday I played a miserable 7 holes. So miserable that I walked off after 7 after paying for 9.
Anyway, I found myself in a green side bunker that was compacted and with wet sand. My lie was good and I felt my stance was good. Ball forward in stance to get the lift, 60/40 weight on lead leg, 58* in hand with an open face.

First swing I got it up, hit the lip, and rolled back down in the same exact spot I originally hit it in. Second hit, lip, back down. Third hit lip and back down. It wasn't until the fourth hit did I finally get out of that mess.

How would I play this ball. Did I plan right but had a poor execution? Or was everything wrong and I set myself up for failure?

Don't open the face. Keep it square. The bounce of the wedge was causing the leading edge to come into the ball, not under it.

blugold has it. Keep the face square and play it like a standard chip shot.

If you are playing from a wet, compacted greenside bunker, you still need to pop that ball up and land it softly so for me, I just don't hit as far behind the ball or as steep as with soft sand. Definitely more room for error though.

I still try to hit behind the ball and let the sand throw the ball out. But in compact sand, I have to get the bounce out of the way.

Gotta square the face up. Swing just like a regular bunker shot, don't open the face as much.

hard or compacted sand requires less open clubface.

I still try to hit behind the ball and let the sand throw the ball out. But in compact sand, I have to get the bounce out of the way.

Agreed... play it exactly the same but with the club square instead of opened up. If a fried egg/buried lie, then I make the same swing with a slightly closed face...

Agreed... play it exactly the same but with the club square instead of opened up. If a fried egg/buried lie, then I make the same swing with a slightly closed face...

I've had some friend eggs that I've played over a lip. It has to be done with an open face. It requires a really hard swing. But it is doable.

And most of all, make sure you keep your speed through the follow through. That can't be stressed enough on bunker shots.

I guess I'm a little different on these shots.... I still open the face a little bit but I tend to take a shorter back swing and fire through the ball...hitting just a half inch to an inch behind it. I don't have much bounce on my wedges either. But it's different for all.

In reality, it's just something you should practice when you have the chance....because you might have an epiphany where it just hits you and the lightbulb turns on and you're like 'oh now I get it'. Keep at it. Don't give up!

Yesterday I played a miserable 7 holes. So miserable that I walked off after 7 after paying for 9.
Anyway, I found myself in a green side bunker that was compacted and with wet sand. My lie was good and I felt my stance was good. Ball forward in stance to get the lift, 60/40 weight on lead leg, 58* in hand with an open face.

First swing I got it up, hit the lip, and rolled back down in the same exact spot I originally hit it in. Second hit, lip, back down. Third hit lip and back down. It wasn't until the fourth hit did I finally get out of that mess.

How would I play this ball. Did I plan right but had a poor execution? Or was everything wrong and I set myself up for failure?
Hard bunkers are my favorite. Play the ball back to middle of your stance. 60/40 weight, open stance, club moves outside and straight up. A steep descending blow and hit right behind the ball. It will dig and bounce at the same time. Tons of spin. Fun shot!

Sorry bro, this false
Don't open the face. Keep it square. The bounce of the wedge was causing the leading edge to come into the ball, not under it.

who taught you this?

If you are playing from a wet, compacted greenside bunker, you still need to pop that ball up and land it softly so for me, I just don't hit as far behind the ball or as steep as with soft sand. Definitely more room for error though.
steep is needed on hard compact sand.

Gotta square the face up. Swing just like a regular bunker shot, don't open the face as much.
why do you think the face shouldn't be open as much? Who taught you this?

hard or compacted sand requires less open clubface.
same as regular bunker shot but steeper angle of attack

looks like more than 1 person just learned something today.

Kong knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everytime a bunker thread pops up I listen intently. Thanks Freddie, will add this to the quiver.

I've had some friend eggs that I've played over a lip. It has to be done with an open face. It requires a really hard swing. But it is doable.

Good point... wasn't thinking about a big lip... you really have to blast down behind the ball for sure

Sorry bro, this false

really...hmm...I was always taught to keep the face square so the bounce is out of the way and swing down behind the ball to throw the sand.

really...hmm...I was always taught to keep the face square so the bounce is out of the way and swing down behind the ball to throw the sand.
I would never play a green side bunker shot with a square face no matter what the sand was like. The bouce doesn't not go away with a square face, especially with today's wedges.

Open that face, dig those feet, open that face and make a steep blow directly behind the ball with good follow through. The distance of the shot will dictate the amount of back swing which will control the length of the shot.

I would never play a green side bunker shot with a square face no matter what the sand was like. The bouce doesn't not go away with a square face, especially with today's wedges.

Open that face, dig those feet, open that face and make a steep blow directly behind the ball with good follow through. The distance of the shot will dictate the amount of back swing which will control the length of the shot.
For my understanding, the only change between that at a fluffy sand bunker shot, the fluffy sand is a shallow swing?

I play in wet sand 9 months a year and I like to have an open face, low hands, and a steep angle.
Ball always comes out with some spin to boot.

I play in wet sand 9 months a year and I like to have an open face, low hands, and a steep angle.
Ball always comes out with some spin to boot.
I perfected these shots while living in Portland. Actually tough some of my lessons in the practice bunker. No aim point freed up my students swings

steep is needed on hard compact sand.

So Freddie, the one time I came in steep on hardpan the results were decent but I thought I was going to snap the clubhead and I hurt my wrist.

Back