Matrix Altus Tour Hybrid Shaft

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP and Matrix sent out these shafts to a group of THPers for review and this thread will serve as host for all of their reviews as well as anybody else that would like to chime in.

The Altus Tour is a popular hybrid shaft on tour right now appearing in winners' bags and we are looking forward to hearing what THPers have to say.

Tour H8X. I am going to have this dropped into my hybrid tomorrow. Going to be a great day.
2c94fc5a96a3a952280ceecbfa000e52.jpg

Can't wait to find out more about these and looking very much forward to the reviews.

I came home to a nice surprise on my porch today. I wasn't expecting any packages so I knew the brown box had to be from THP and Matrix. I couldn't wait to tear into it and see what was inside. Here is what I found waiting for me. I will be getting the M2 19 degree head and shaft assembled maybe this weekend. I will post updates as soon as I get a chance. In the meantime here is a mock up. Man I love how this combo looks. As soon as I get the shaft installed, I will post more photos and go into more detail about my initial thoughts on the shaft. I can't wait to hit it, stay tuned.
8297d606dee2aaa2cd24b249f4ce00e4.jpg
b578a63a9e0fe03a58afceeb5b267cf9.jpg
bbfcdefc06b239d3a02d03caebd780fd.jpg
d805662d25ae7330ea1fcca37e5df83c.jpg
0ff1d2cae44dd1aab5f832c83a285f2f.jpg

Last edited:
I love the graphics!

JB, are there any trimming instructions we need to know about?

JB, are there any trimming instructions we need to know about?

I called Matrix and asked them. They told me for a 19 degree I needed to tip trim it .5 inches.

Sorry. I'm not JB but thought I'd share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Came home to an awesome package here as well! Really digging the graphics, tastefully done on a nice matte black background. My Altus Tour H8 in Stiff flex will be paired with an Adams Tight Lies 3h (19*, 235.8g head) for this testing opportunity. I haven't chosen the grip yet, but will be dropping it off the be assembled this week in hopes of beginning testing this weekend. Here are a few pics of the pieces.
e0a040d3fd8ee2ffd60869206ccab687.jpg
e127e101962bea109f91d1bebb3d5b3d.jpg
757104e91b7ba239a394c76310ef4936.jpg
a551a5fbd766e18c992109f2b3266224.jpg
34d6b193a3720cce6a70c90cc676280b.jpg

Well it's Christmas Day at the Buechner household! I received my Matrix Altus Tour Hybrid shaft in the mail today. Really excited to share my thoughts and anxious to get started. Thanks again to THP, JB, and Morgan for the opportunity!

So since I received the shaft today, it's not installed just yet but wanted to go ahead and share some pictures and give some first thoughts.

I will be testing/reviewing a Matrix Altus Tour H8 hybrid shaft in an extra stiff flex. Here are the specs of the shaft I will be testing directly from the manufacturers website:

958fd0b0cc2b2c9ee3eae6ea7592834d.jpg

These are some in-hand pictures I snapped today of the shaft itself.

bc36152fee08f70665c5cda9aa63b34a.jpg

412825092d691d8e84b81dc9740359cf.jpg

The majority of the shaft itself is a very dark, smokey grey/black in color and is a matte finish. Looks very simple and sleek. I like the compact nature of the logo about 2/3 of the way up the shaft, not huge but noticeable enough. Overall, the esthetics are appealing to the eye and the matte finish is becoming my finish of choice as it deters sunlight and reduces glare when looking down at address.

My aeroburner hybrid head is being delivered tomorrow so I'll have that installed asap and follow up once I get it in play!

I am having the Altus Tour Hybrid shaft put into my Apex hybrid. It will be ready tomorrow. I will do my best not to use the standard buzzwords, "whippy" or "boardy".

It does look pretty BA
6fe9b6935ce1daddafa63d2d291b863c.jpg

It does look pretty BA
6fe9b6935ce1daddafa63d2d291b863c.jpg

I'm going with the smaller logo up as well, mine is getting dropped off today to be assembled. Any initial thought on it?

I'm going with the smaller logo up as well, mine is getting dropped off today to be assembled. Any initial thought on it?
Just on the Sim, Ball flight is definitely high. Distance is there. I like stout shafts and this feels very...reactive...in those few swings.

Just on the Sim, Ball flight is definitely high. Distance is there. I like stout shafts and this feels very...reactive...in those few swings.

"High" and "reactive" have me drooling to get this thing together. Both things I really like/need I. A hybrid shaft.

"High" and "reactive" have me drooling to get this thing together. Both things I really like/need I. A hybrid shaft.

Agreed. If there's anything bad about my current hybrid/shaft setup, it's that the flight is very low which is fine most of the time unless I'm taking aim at a par 5 in two and I need a softer landing. PGA Said it'll be ready by Friday. Excited to test it out!

First 9 in the books. It was my first time out this year. I don't know how much of this was me and my first go around and how much of this was the shaft. So, please read with a grain of salt. My previous shaft was a MRC D+ 90X.

Ball flight was high. Had a nice "exponential growth" type flight. The ball seemed to really take off where I would expect it to. I've not hit my hybrid with that sort of height...ever. With that said, I did notice I was 10-15 yards behind were I usually expect to be with this club. I also noticed it being very easy to turn the ball over and get it going left, easier than I remember it being last season at least.

There was definitely a responsiveness that I was not accustomed to. I tend to like stout boardy shafts. The Altus is not that.

Again, this was my first time out and I can't say for certain if what I saw was the shaft or my swing.

This shaft in this club makes the ball go high.

Looking forward to hearing more.
This is in quite a few PGA Tour bags this week.

Really looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts, I love my hybrid and would love to try out a new shaft. Can't wait for my fellow THP'ers thoughts.

Dropped by the PGA superstore today to pick up my new stick...andddddd it was closed. Hopefully I'll be able to grab tomorrow and share some pics!

Should have mine together in the next few days. Then I will post some
More. I already have started my review write up with initial thoughts and etc.

Was able to pick mine back up from Dick's on Sat night, about 5 minutes shy of them closing so unfortunately no chance to hit it on the sim... Initial (in-hand) thoughts are that it seems to pair really well (weight-wise) with the Adams head I got. My previous hybrid, Callaway X2Hot with a Diamana Whiteboard 92g stiff, felt heavy but the same throughout the entire club (does that even make sense?). Meaning I couldn't feel the head of the hybrid, only that it was heavy-ish to swing. With this setup, and the few in the yard swings I took, I could feel the weight of the head as it moved through the swing (which I really like).

I'm going to be looking for a few key things, and am open to trying out anything that you'd like to hear about too, including ball flight - height - distance - dispersion. I'm also curious to see how it feels on mis-hits (not that I'll make any of those... lol) with vibration.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can look into! More to come later this week from the range, then it'll be traveling with me down to FL where it'll get a workout in some summer-like conditions!!

Looking forward to hearing more.
This is in quite a few PGA Tour bags this week.

One thing I have found interesting, since being here at THP, is that tour players seem to play a lot of mid/mid shafts. Some low spin shafts get into play, but not as often as we/I see in the bags of internet golfers, like myself.

Alright so had my first range session today with the new shaft and Ill be comparing this one directly with my current gamer (same length/same grip/same flex stiffness). Here are my results/observations:

8ac9f413476630a86509b095a36fc5e4.jpg
Off the tee:

Spoiler

I began by hitting my current hybrid/shaft. Seemed normal and hitting it just fine. I switched to the new Matrix shaft and immediately noticed a higher ball flight. I also noticed I was turning the ball over a little easier with the matrix shaft. I did have a little more trouble trying to cut the ball with the Matrix shaft off the tee than my other hybrid. (The Matrix feels like it has a bit more "kick" at the end)

Off the deck:

Spoiler

I set some balls down right on the grass and started hitting some as if I was going for a par-5 in 2. Again, there was a noticeable difference in ball flight between the 2 shafts, Matrix being the higher of the 2 flights.

Conclusions:

Spoiler

Based on a short range session, Im already liking what I am seeing and the Matrix is going into the bag immediately. I will keep both in the bag during practice rounds with friends but I have another tournament coming up on May 1st so we shall see which one makes the cut. Im also anxious to see if the Matrix will make it in my bag for The Gauntlet later in May!

Back