Does your regular course have an "Amen Corner"?

BluesManDan

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering how many other courses out there have a tough run of a few choice holes strung together. My local course (Lakewood in Statesville NC) isn't a particularly long or tough course, but it has a lot of raised turtleback greens with big slopes, and it has its own little Amen Corner at 6, 7, and 8.

Hole 6 is (from the back tees) a 185 yard par 3 from a severely elevated tee on the top of a hill down to a fairly large green with woods on the right and a bunker and a lake on the left. Whatever you do don't pull your tee shot. Long is bad but not as bad as left. A little right is okay. The green is fairly hard to hit because of the elevation change, and once you get on you're in for a difficult putt because it has a lot of little variations instead of big obvious breaks. A double breaker is common on this green. A par feels really good on this hole.

Hole 7 is a dogleg left par 4 with your drive going over a lake into an elevating fairway that slopes left. You want to hit a draw because of the dogleg left, but that's a trap. Hit it perfect and you'll have a very short approach, but more than likely it will ride the left leaning fairway down into the craggy clay crap with a bunch of full and towering trees now blocking the green. If you're down there, good luck at even getting up to the fairway for your recovery shot... the fairway is firm and narrow, and the right side is filled with juniper that will swallow up a shot hit through the fairway. So the smart drive is a controlled fade that isn't long enough to go through the fairway or right enough to end up in the very thick rough. If you hit the fairway (yay!) you still won't have any easy shot because the lie will be tilted and into a firm firm green that's hard to hold. If you go left you're dead... rolling down a huge hill into a ravine. At least this green is somewhat flat though, comparatively.

Hole 8 is the worst. It's not really a long par 4 on paper, but there is a big elevation issue that makes it tough. You've got to carry it 250 over a lake and a severe upslope to get to the fairway. I can only carry around 235, so I'm always on the face of the upslope, with 160 or so into a firm, small, elevated green that moves a lot right to left. If you're short you've got a tough pitch because the green is elevated. If you're long you're dead, because the backside slopes hard down through some trees and you're likely to roll through the woods into the fairway of #5. So don't hit a mid iron into a firm elevated green and skip off. Oh yeah, that's exactly what you're gonna do. A bogey here feels like a par.

What's your local Amen Corner?
: )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My home course (Quail Valley in Banks, OR) has a 3 hole stretch that in family company we call "Quail Corner". It has other names.

Not part of this stretch is the 150-160 yard par 3 #6, which is actually modeled after Augusta #12. Instead of Rae's Creek it's a lake, but has the same basic green shape that is only 12 yards deep with a large ridge separating left and right sides, with a bunker in front between the green and the water and a large bunker behind.

The corner itself starts at #12 with a 434 yard (474 from tips) par 4 that plays uphill and normally into the wind. The green slopes severely forward, so if you're on the wrong side of the green a 2-putt is nearly impossible unless you die it perfectly in the fringe at the back of the green and hope it stops.

#13 is a 232 yard (239 tips) par 3 with bunkers right and left. If #12 isn't playing into the wind then this hole is into the wind, sometimes requiring driver.

#14 is a 389/412 par 4 with water down the entire left side cutting in front of the large but severely sloped green. You can spin it back into the water, or putt it into the water.

My course is pretty tough all together but starting from hole 12 it's just mean. 12 is a 570yd par 5 from the tips. About 350 to the end of the fw where there is a lake. Problem is the tee box points you to the hill full of Heather on the right side. Taking care of aim is very important there. Then the rest of the way is very up hill. I've never hit this green in 2 from the tips. 13 is about 185 yd par 3. Plays about 2.5 clubs down hill over a pond and the green is very narrow front to back with a hill behind. Short is in the water, long leaves severe downhill pitch toward the water. 14 is another par 5 and it pretty much makes you lay up off the tee. Fw is narrow and to be able to go for the green in 2 requires about 280 off the tee and you have about 2 square feet landing zone. Otherwise it's either ball severely above feet lie in the rough or it will bounce left ob. 15 isn't bad. 16 is a par 4 that makes you hit about 260 to 280 off the tee hitting out of a narrow tree lined area pointing you way left (requires a cut) and fw sloping left to right toward a lake. 17 is 235yd par 3 usually into the wind and all carry over lake. 18 has you hitting with a canyon down the left and hole doglegging left.

the course where i play most of my golf has a 4-hole stretch starting with number 5 that can really ruin your round early on.

#5 is a 511y par 5 with a sharp dogleg right. it's about 250 to run out of fairway into the water straight ahead. you can cut the corner, but you have to hit a high ball over the trees, pick the right line, and keep the ball in the air awhile to clear everything. if you don't clear, it's a penalty stroke, and you're pitching to sideways. if you hit a decent tee shot, there's a creek that runs down the left, the tree line all the way down the right, a strategic bunker about 60 yards short of the green, and a teeny tiny super sloped green. long is dead as well. what a tough hole.

#6 is a 170y par 3 with a green that slopes right to left. it runs parallel and in the opposite direction of #5. right is dead because you're way below the surface of the green, flopping blind to a green that runs away from you. there's a trap that runs the length of the left side of the green. not the hardest hole, but offline and you're in trouble.

#7 is the hardest hole on the course. a sharp dogleg left with water pinching in left and running the length of the dogleg. it's 426, wind is usually in your face. if you go straight you can run out of fairway, and even if you don't you'll have 200+ into the green. to clear the water is a challenge, but can reward you with 3-4 less clubs.

#8 is in my head. lots of room out to the right, but a water hazard down the left. the problem is the hole snakes around, so you have to draw it off the tee toward the hazard so you can have a clear view to the green that is tucked behind some trees and houses on the right. the green is really small, and you have to hug the left with your second to have a clear shot in.

the last time i played this stretch i was 5 over through 4 holes.

My home course doesn't have this.

My old home course had a really cool stretch from 13-15. 13 was dog leg left par 5 with a bunker at the corner, and a big tree just inside the bunker. To get at it in two you had to draw it around the tree and over the bunker. 14 was the #1 handicap and a dog leg right par 4. You either needed to play a big fade, or carry it over a tree then pond. 15 was a dead straight hole with a big tree to the left and right of the tee box, only straight ball would work.

So on consecutive tees you had to go draw, fade then straight. Tough combo to get right.

My home course doesn't have this.

Currently my favorite Masters related post. Ever.

Yes. And I love those three holes, except for the third one which I hate with a passion - if you don't place your tee shot just right you're dead. It's a very difficult par 4 and I end up hitting a 4H into the green. I've parred it once.

My course has a stretch that compares.

It starts with a difficult par 4. Long into the wind and a tight driving hole. 440 from the tips but plays about 40 yards longer. The shot into the green is tough. Miss left you're in the trees. Right is bunkers.

75c2dc30b724353c7cc22bc9b2e4e8f5.jpg

Next up is 17. Par 3 170 downhill over a dry creek bed. Narrow green with bunker in front and back. The wind is usually swirling here.

888ec81f87eeba69de03edb155f7d115.jpg

Last up is 18. Not a par 5, or even a long par 4 about 415 yards. The problem with this hole is if you mis right, even in the fairway you in jail and either have to hit a huge cut or layup. The perfect drive is a draw that goes 250-270. The green is protected by a dry creek bed. Green is tiered if the pins back and you go long. It's really tough to get up and down.
cadc7bb51c0988cfff181c375211616c.jpg

My course has nothing nearly as good as AN but it does have a 3 hole stretch that give many golfers fits. The 14th hole is a par 5 with an approach over water, even 2 yards short is wet. The next hole is a 204 yard par 3 with a 190 plus yard carry over water and a tiny little bail out area short and left. Long or left of the green is an almost impossible up and down. The 16th is 565(599 from the back tees) uphill and plays into the wind most days. It's only 55 yards longer than the 14th hole but I've never reached it in two shots and I've only seen it anyone else do it one time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My old course had a few tough stretches, including three straight par 5's. However, my round was made or broken on holes 11, 12, 13 (par 5, par 3, par 4, respectively):

Spoiler
waldengolf_hole8_zpswnxmy5gw.jpeg

Spoiler
waldengolf_hole7_zpsizwxdawp.jpeg

Spoiler
waldengolf_hole6_zpsvati8pd6.jpeg

In my regular golf 4some we like to call it the Beast on the East (east course). It starts with a 170ish par 3 with a creek in front that goes into a large body of water on the right side of the green, bunker on the left as well, huuuuuge green. The next is a par 4 that plays long because the fairway goes around that big body of water, the fairway is deigned to tease you to cut the corner or even try to carry the whole pond to get to the green. The final hole is another par 4, not too long but there's water going all the way up the left in front of the tee box and you have to flirt with the water to get the best approach shot. The green has water in front of it if you drive to the right side of the fairway and the green is elevated with a bunker right in front of the green where you need to carry the water and carry the bunker.

They don't look the same (obviously) but we have a three hole stretch that really determines if you are going to have a good or a bad day. Long, tight, difficult part 4s (all)!!

I know Amen Corner is 3 holes. A par 4, a par 3, and a par 5. Hole 15, 16, 17 at my home course gets that nod. 15 is a long par 3 (200 yards from the middle tees), 16 is a long skinny par 4 with OB left and water right, no rough to speak of. 17 is a dog leg left par 5 with the narrowest landing area off the tee on the course.

My buddies and I call 9, 10, 11 at my home course Amen Corner.
9 is a short par 4 with bunkers left/water right and an approach to a wide but shallow green with a steep false front down to the water. Long is death. The green is so tough to putt too.

10 is a 445 par 4 from the middle tees with OB left and trees right. Woof.

11 is an uphill dogleg left par 4 422 yards from the middle tees. OB is about 10 yards left of the fairway all the way around the corner.

These 3 holes can blow up your round so fast it'll make your head spin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've got three holes on my course that make or break my rounds, 14-16 can blow up a round.

#14 is the 1 HCP hole on the course, big dogleg par 4. Tee to green it's only about 350 yards, but it takes more than 250 carry to bite off any of the corner and laying out in the corner leaves about 180 approach to a green that's got a bunker on one side and steep slope on the right side.

#15 isn't that bad, just OB all down the right side and a water hazard long and left. It plays uphill quite a bit off the tee and then back down on the approach. The green is small and slopes away from the center in all directions with a small amount of it being a false front.

#16 is a par 3 over water that plays around 185 from the blues and 210 from the tips. Trees on both side of the green, the only real bail out is long but the whole green slopes toward the water.

I told my son on Sunday that these three holes are where good rounds go to die.

I absolutely have one at my course. "Arnie's Revenge" finalizes the round in 16-17-18 and has destroyed many fantastic scores.

From Back tees:
#16 - 202 yard par 3
#17 - 390 yard par 4
#18 - 473 yard par 4

69e2e7fd7eced962b18813d91154ee1e.png

So.Much.Water.
And the approach on 17 can suck a d

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I absolutely have one at my course. "Arnie's Revenge" finalizes the round in 16-17-18 and has destroyed many fantastic scores.

From Back tees:
#16 - 202 yard par 3
#17 - 390 yard par 4
#18 - 473 yard par 4

69e2e7fd7eced962b18813d91154ee1e.png

That looks incredibly difficult. Haha. I would be passing on the back tees I think.

So.Much.Water.
And the approach on 17 can suck a d

haha, such a hard shot.

That looks incredibly difficult. Haha. I would be passing on the back tees I think.

The original plan for #18 was to make it a par five ( it would have been #9 back then). The water would have been trouble for too many golfers if the tees were moved back, so they left it at a par four, but I am certain the green design was intended to be a par 5 profile (aka decently reasonable with a wedge in your hand, unruly with a long iron). To make matters worse, the majority of the greenside bunker is sloped downward towards the water.

It would be 12-13-14.

12 is a fairly long par 5, but to the left side of the green, there's a bank that you can you to funnel the ball down to the green. Long green front to back, but very narrow with a large drop to the right. Can be a chance for 3 or a double.

13 is a short par 4. The big guys can go for the green while shorter hitters have to be accurate with their tee shot as they can be blocked out if they go right.

14 is a picture perfect par 3 with the lake in the backdrop. Small pond short. Green has three different sections, wrong section and good luck making par.

Very much a spot on the course that makes or breaks the back 9. Great area for matchplay as everyone plays it very differently.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

haha, such a hard shot.

The original plan for #18 was to make it a par five ( it would have been #9 back then). The water would have been trouble for too many golfers if the tees were moved back, so they left it at a par four, but I am certain the green design was intended to be a par 5 profile (aka decently reasonable with a wedge in your hand, unruly with a long iron). To make matters worse, the majority of the greenside bunker is sloped downward towards the water.

I'd definitely play it as a par 5 no matter what the card says. Lay up short, and maybe get up and down some of the time. Limit it to bogeys. That is a crazy finishing hole. I assume #1 or 2 handicap?

No A-men corner at my home course. It'd be fun to have one though.

I'd definitely play it as a par 5 no matter what the card says. Lay up short, and maybe get up and down some of the time. Limit it to bogeys. That is a crazy finishing hole. I assume #1 or 2 handicap?

#18 is #3. #17 is number 1 (trust me it's accurate). #1 is #2 handicap and isn't all that much friendlier (443 from the back).

e1cd347b5c27288149abc70d59988871.png

Back