2017 Golf League Thread

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I know a bunch of THPers are in golf leagues. I thought I'd create a thread where everyone could tell us about their league and then how they did each week and where they currently stand.

I'm beginning a golf league in about 3 weeks. This league has been around since the 70's with the same folks running it. I haven't played in it since 2009. I actually was the champion that year. Since then my schedule has never allowed for me to play in it, but finally this year I'm back and I have to say I'm really happy about it. I'm starting off as a 4 handicap for 9 holes... But handicaps are updated each week and you can only get a Max score based on your handicap. We've got 28 guys and play 9 holes every Monday with a few days off when holidays come into play...And a few 18 holers thrown in as well.

We start the year on a Sunday with an 18 hole event and then have another 18 hole event after the first half of the season. You can qualify for the playoffs in either the first or second half of the season. Then 16 make the playoffs 8 each half)... Although everyone plays during the playoff rounds because total points matter in regards to final payouts.The last two rounds of the playoffs are Sunday 18 hole events. These determine the final champion.

So tell us about your league and keep us updated each week or however often it may be.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm in a high class high dollar work league. The primary goal seems to be stay sober enough to get home from the course....not my typical playing partners, but my boss plays in it and he doesn't mind if I scoot out a touch early one night a week for golf .

It's a scramble league and very much just for fun, with lots of laughs and trash talk across holes. It's a good time and no one is good enough to sandbag very much. I like it because it's very much the kind of golf I enjoy playing, nothing on the line but a little pride. It gives me a chance to work on my swing on the course and mostly relax with my co-workers.

Found out tonight the league I am switching to is a "handicapped bestball" league.

How the heck does that even work? How do you handicap it at all?

I play in two leagues a week.

On Monday I play in a two man league with my father-in-law where we are the defending champs. It's stroke play worth 10 points per match in an A vs. A and B vs. B type of deal (1 pt per hole and 1 point for low net). Top 4 teams from the first half of the season and top 4 from the second half square off in the playoff bracket. Sadly I'm going to miss the first night (2 weeks from now) but the first two weeks are just handicapping nights anyway.

On Thursdays I play in a 4 man league. We have a standing tee time every week and play together as a team. Similar scoring to the other league. This one has 2 fun night scrambles with hole prizes on every hole during the season and a couple of steak fry / cookouts. It's mostly an excuse to get out and start the weekend early :D Last year was our first year in this one and we lead our division for most of the season before finishing 3rd.

I'm getting anxious for the league season to start!

2017 Golf League Thread

Gearing up for year 6 in the work league. No stress, don't be an ass, handicapped league. This week starts off the league with a rust remover scramble. Supposed to start last week but got hit with the only bad weather day of the entire week.

Handicapped 9 hole league, and I run it. Nothing terribly complicated. Top 5 net scores on each team count towards a total, and then points awarded based on total scores. Our league is typically won by those teams who have the most people show up every week. First league night is April 26.

~Rock

Hoping to get into a league the 2nd half of this year, too much chaos going on to commit to 1 at the moment

Hoping to get into a league the 2nd half of this year, too much chaos going on to commit to 1 at the moment
Yeah new jobs and moving will do that to you!

Our kickoff scramble for ours is the 23rd, always a good time. Wednesday 9 hope match play league is slower than molasses unfortunately, but fun too.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

First night to night. Halved my match after shooting my best ever 37. 4 pars..4 bogeys and one eagle. Great start to year. Won a skin for the eagle and merch raffle as well at the end. Prob all downhill from here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First night to night. Halved my match after shooting my best ever 37. 4 pars..4 bogeys and one eagle. Great start to year. Won a skin for the eagle and merch raffle as well at the end. Prob all downhill from here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nice start!

League starts up here next Thursday the 20th. The first part of league is tough as returning guys keep their handicap from last year for the first 4-5 weeks. At the end of last year I was a 7. Hopefully the other guys still have some rust too. I've been out twice at this course and have shot 45 twice. We shall see, no money involved but match play format with 2 pts per hole and 2 extra pts if you win the match. I'm ready for league to kick off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 team work league starts up next week. Match play, each A player and B player from each team square off. 1 point for a hole won, .5 for a split. 1 point for net low. So each individual can get up to 10 points a night, and each team 20. Individual points as well as team points are kept throughout the season. Also play skins each week.

16 team work league starts up next week. Match play, each A player and B player from each team square off. 1 point for a hole won, .5 for a split. 1 point for net low. So each individual can get up to 10 points a night, and each team 20. Individual points as well as team points are kept throughout the season. Also play skins each week.

Our work league is similar. We also have points for low net team score. We have one more practice round this week and real matches starting next Thursday.

Our work league is similar. We also have points for low net team score. We have one more practice round this week and real matches starting next Thursday.

Practice? We talkin about practice?

Our club has 18 teams, minimum of 6 members per team. We close the course and everyone shotgun starts on a random hole. 4 people per team play and go into a team match play with teams playing each other once.

I've been Captain for my team (Putt Pirates) for the past 3 seasons. It doesn't start until May. We finished first during the season last year, and then go into a playoff bracket. We were eliminated in the second round losing 19 - 21 :(. Still got some cash payout for finishing first during the regular season.

I've never heard of practice round for a league but I like the idea.

I've never heard of practice round for a league but I like the idea.

They are more shake the rust off rounds, and with the weather we've had, a chance to let the better weather come.

They are more shake the rust off rounds, and with the weather we've had, a chance to let the better weather come.
Someone mentioned opening scrambles which sounded fun as well.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. For some reason I just heard Allen Iverson chirping in my ear. Essentially that's what my first few league weeks will be, knock off the rust.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. For some reason I just heard Allen Iverson chirping in my ear. Essentially that's what my first few league weeks will be, knock off the rust.
Ha that's what I heard too. But you can give him a hard time. He can take it. Chicago toughened him up ?

Oh I know. We were chirping the same thing haha

League play started in January and will go through November here in AZ. Every Sunday (a few 2 day tourneys) in a net tournament with flights and an overall winner (net) each week. There are some stableford events and some team events along with skins (g&n each week) and sometimes CTP's. Also some season long contests with challenge holes. We also have majors, a road trip, and playoffs. Well run league that plays all around PHX.

League play started in January and will go through November here in AZ. Every Sunday (a few 2 day tourneys) in a net tournament with flights and an overall winner (net) each week. There are some stableford events and some team events along with skins (g&n each week) and sometimes CTP's. Also some season long contests with challenge holes. We also have majors, a road trip, and playoffs. Well run league that plays all around PHX.
If I ever make it to AZ to live, I'm calling you to get me in ?

What kind of rules variations do people's leagues play? Ours has a few different things.
- bumping the ball is allowed as long as it isn't in a hazard (within a clubs head of the spot no closer to the hole)
- OB is two club lengths from where the ball went out and a stroke penalty
- Lost ball is same as above (spot needs to be agreed upon with your opponent)

We play match play in 2 person teams, high plays high and low plays low handicap.
2 points per hole and 2 points to the winner, 1 point each if it's halved.
Maximum of 10 strokes per hole and a natural 10 beats a pick up 10.
A player must putt out if they are in the skins game. (gross and nets skins) on a good week I've won $75 before
Giving putts is allowed but only within the flag stick length.

Back