That one hole that give you fits.

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
We all have that one hole that you just can't conquer. I have a few but this is certainly the worst. Acushnet River Valley in Acushnet, Ma. #15 usually plays 275-285 and almost always into the wind with water all the way up the left and ob right. I've never had less than a 5 and have put at least half dozen balls in the water on tee ball and approach. What's your kryptonite hole THP?
2ab129f01c3569b3bfffa0eff689d00f.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For me it's this one:
d00d78ab395326ac9d7765a78e765868.jpg

It's hole number 4 at Plantation in Frisco. A 465 yard par 4. It's usually around 210 to the water from the tee, and that fairway on the right is pretty narrow. I've only once managed to not put a ball either in the water or a back yard, and I still carded a triple.

Hole #2 at Poplar Creek Golf Course. It is a dog leg that goes 90 degrees right and has water in play off the tee shot on the right and left hand sides. I have never had a par on that hole.

We all have that one hole that you just can't conquer. I have a few but this is certainly the worst. Acushnet River Valley in Acushnet, Ma. #15 usually plays 275-285 and almost always into the wind with water all the way up the left and ob right. I've never had less than a 5 and have put at least half dozen balls in the water on tee ball and approach. What's your kryptonite hole THP?
2ab129f01c3569b3bfffa0eff689d00f.jpg

I played with a guy one time who drove that green from the tee box.

Hole 12 at Stoneleigh golf club in Va. dogleg right par 4. Old stone wall running the length of the fairway on the right. Elevated green guarded by two oaks on both sides. Usually a mid iron in. I could never get a tee shot far enough left to have a good shot at the green. I played that course over 100x and that was the one hole I never birdied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played with a guy one time who drove that green from the tee box.
I know. I'd try it if wind was down. Otherwise it's just a donation to the golf God's.

#11 at my home course.
OB all the way up the left, hole is uphill, right side of fairway still leaves you blocked out.
It's a b!Tch of a par 4.
8cf1a5e755d25a4d7d82089d578a39d3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

For me it's number 6 at my home course.

80d3cb71b8f16c05e0e69320a55ab8ae.jpg

The crosshairs are on the ideal target, but the elevation to that point from the tee box is probably 60'. My tee shots always seem to end up left in the woods, right in the woods, or in the pond. There's no reason for it. It just kicks my butt every time.

three rivers.jpg

Hole #7 at Three Rivers in Kelso, WA. Its a simple enough hole but I always mess it up. Tee shot is about 180 yards to where it turns sharply and goes up a steep hill to the green.

I have either messed up the tee shot, or totally botched a perfect approach. if you try to cut the corner, you end up in the line of trees and have to carry under the trees and over the bunker to the green.

My best tee shot was a 5W that put me right dead center of the fairway with an easy 120 uphill approach. I chunked the 8-Iron and landed in the left leg of the first bunker. I wasted 4 or five shots trying to get it out and over the lip until I gave up and chipped out backwards and then chipped onto the green.

My best score was a botched tee shot that made it to the right side near the start of the fairway, my second shot shanked into the rough way right and before the tree line, my third shot carried over the trees and into the back bunker, 4th shot out and onto the green and one putted to save a bogey. best score on that hole yet but what a terrible way to get there!

Just something about the layout that messed with my head...

#12 at Lederach in Harleysville, PA. Last couple of times I played there I played from the blue tees, which are 6600 yards - a little long for me. The white tees are 6000- on the shorter side - ideally I like to play about midway between those yardages. Well, #12 is an uphill 628 yard par 5 from the blues. I don't think I've ever scored less than a 7. I'm debating just marking down an ESC 7 in the future and just skipping it.

Mine is actually on a pretty easy hole. Inexplicably... I struggle on it more often than not.

#10 at my home course. It's a par 4 that plays to 349 yards. The entire hole is downhill from tee to green. There's a creek that runs across the front of the green at about 300 yards out. Ordinarily, that wouldn't be an issue but because it's downhill, you need to take less than driver (or take a baby swing with the driver) to keep it short of that hazard. I'll typically take a 4 iron off the tee and try to land it at about 200 - 220 yards. If you play to the right side, you can find one spot of flat land (about a 15 yard circle) that will give you between 120 and 145 yards to the hole depending on where it's cut on the green. If you miss that flat spot, the ball will be on a downhill slope.

Right of the green by more than 4 yards (literally) is a road that is out of bounds (unless you get 'lucky' and catch the greenside bunker). Left of the green is a safer play but leaves a very difficult up and down. Long means a blind pitch back up onto the green that runs away towards the creek. Short will find the ball rolling back into the creek.

I've made more triples on that hole than pars since I joined in September.

- Chuck

There's a dogleg left par 5 at San Juan Hills that driver me nuts. From the back tees, the hole plays 570yds. But it doglegs dead right and runs out of fairway about 280yds out. Another thing to note is the hole plays downhill. I usually try to hit a draw 3w around the corner. When successful, it leaves me usually a long iron in. But if it doesn't turn over... OB city. Sucks when you strike the ball pure and straight and are still digging in your pocket for another ball. lol

For me it's this one:
d00d78ab395326ac9d7765a78e765868.jpg

It's hole number 4 at Plantation in Frisco. A 465 yard par 4. It's usually around 210 to the water from the tee, and that fairway on the right is pretty narrow. I've only once managed to not put a ball either in the water or a back yard, and I still carded a triple.

Hey! I love this hole. Very challenging. Don't forget to mention the entire left side of the green sloping into the water. Hit a draw? sucks.

I can make you feel a bit better though. It's a par 5 :angel:

#11@ Red Tail in Devens.

I could hit driver and still somehow end up in the gravel pit down below..... Actually visited it again this past weekend :(

Such a mental thing....

Another would be the 5th @ Shaker Hills. Long Par 5 uphill plays right into all my weaknesses. And add in the green and it's just brutal...

#11@ Red Tail in Devens.

I could hit driver and still somehow end up in the gravel pit down below..... Actually visited it again this past weekend :(

Such a mental thing....

Another would be the 5th @ Shaker Hills. Long Par 5 uphill plays right into all my weaknesses. And add in the green and it's just brutal...
I've played Red Tail once, duffed my tee ball into the pit. Not a great place to get up and down.

Mine is actually on a pretty easy hole. Inexplicably... I struggle on it more often than not.

#10 at my home course. It's a par 4 that plays to 349 yards. The entire hole is downhill from tee to green. There's a creek that runs across the front of the green at about 300 yards out. Ordinarily, that wouldn't be an issue but because it's downhill, you need to take less than driver (or take a baby swing with the driver) to keep it short of that hazard. I'll typically take a 4 iron off the tee and try to land it at about 200 - 220 yards. If you play to the right side, you can find one spot of flat land (about a 15 yard circle) that will give you between 120 and 145 yards to the hole depending on where it's cut on the green. If you miss that flat spot, the ball will be on a downhill slope.

Right of the green by more than 4 yards (literally) is a road that is out of bounds (unless you get 'lucky' and catch the greenside bunker). Left of the green is a safer play but leaves a very difficult up and down. Long means a blind pitch back up onto the green that runs away towards the creek. Short will find the ball rolling back into the creek.

I've made more triples on that hole than pars since I joined in September.

- Chuck

"that hole" for me is a tie between the 2 easiest holes on the course. One is a very short par 4, easily driveable. The only hazards are a line of trees on the left about 50-70 yards on the left side that would only ever be in play on a snaphook mis-hit and sand behind the green. It is a wide fairway, though housese line it on either side...about 100-150 yards wide, 280 long. I routinely double or triple it on days I am 1 over on the rest of the course...save hole 8. Again, short...320 to the back I think, the hazard is one single tree at 250 on the right, the fairway is probably 90-110 yards wide, then road on left and house on right. Incredibly easy hole. Cannot count the number of times I have rolled into that hole anywhere between even and maybe 2 over and ended up with a snowman. these two holes have the easiest greens...unlike say, 6 which has the narrow driving lane, is tree lined....or 7 with water, trees and sand...or the diabolical greens on 3, 4, 6 and 7...the greens are pretty easy. But those holes are in my head.

I have taken it as far down as an 8 iron for that "I don't care, just going to punch it out there 150-160, do it again, take my bogey...oh wait, I just toed it out of bounds" and ended up with a 12 by the time I got done hacking my way through it...I am still crying

9th hole, Lake Spanaway Golf Course. I ****ing hate that hole. It's a par 5. I've never gotten less than a double bogey on it. First, the correct way to play the hole is not to hit a driver off the tee. If you can't clear the two fairway bunkers you should lay up. Then play a FW or hybrid to get within wedge distance. Then the green is surrounded by 3 bunkers and it doesn't hold. I've landed 9 irons on the green that just rolled off the back into the bunker from hell.

Hole #3 at my local track

275-285 typical

5 yards of rough on the left, then OB bramble blackberry thorns, plus trees and overhanging branches, so forget aiming left and playing a fade

red staked rocky ditch cuts into the fairway from the right at about 200-210 yards (ball eater, 2 club lengths is still in the rough)

so, aim at the ditch, right? well the fairway itself ends up being about 20 yards wide in the "ideal" landing area, and the rough on either side would make Oakmont blush (unless it's recently cut)

the lies from a "perfect" drive usually end up leaving you with the ball below your feet

and if you do put it right, congratulations! you now have a giant willow tree to deal with

the green itself is triangle shaped, about 15 yards deep at the right side, 7 yards on the left, about 22 yards wide, and elevated with mucho slope back and right

I struggle to card less than a 6 on this hole

Last edited:
Back