Trying To Break 90 Club

97 I really don't belong in this thread anymore.

Yeah you do, just the fact you know you got 80s in your game is enough.
Like you were saying, eliminate a couple of those blowup holes and you're right there.

You do belong Jesse, just keep your head up and keep grinding
Thanks man. I needed to vent after todays round.
Yeah you do, just the fact you know you got 80s in your game is enough.
Like you were saying, eliminate a couple of those blowup holes and you're right there.
Thanks man. Easier said than done of course

82 on Friday, 100 yesterday. Momma said there'd be days like this.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Only two 3 putts so yeah digging that new SeeMore but that also shows how off my game was with second and 3rd shots

97 I really don't belong in this thread anymore.

Nonsense. Keep at it. Heavens knows we all have bad days and runs sometimes. Been struggling to find my swing lately with a round in the 100s a few weeks ago, and a 53 in league this week. Got out to Bull Run today and was able to put together some decent golf. Went 45/42 to finish with an 87. Left a bunch out there, but no complaints the way things have been going. Still working on a swing change but it's coming around.

I'm taking a stab at analyzing the mistakes from my last round and coming up w/ a game plan for practice this week in advance of my next round on Friday. I tend to think out loud and typing this stuff out helps me sort thru the details. Any input/advice is welcome :act-up:

Last round (a 93) included 1 birdie, 3 pars, 7 bogeys, 6 doubles and one quad (my meltdown hole).

I only had two three putts - #5 (the quad hole) and #13 (a double bogey) so my putting was not bad. Either way if I avoid those two three putts I'm at 91.

But I don't think that's where the improvement will come from at this stage. My irons are just not that accurate at this point - whether it's a full swing approach shot or a pitch from short yardage.

I'll work on the short game and iron accuracy this week.

Any tips or ideas for the range this week?

Thanks all...

I'm taking a stab at analyzing the mistakes from my last round and coming up w/ a game plan for practice this week in advance of my next round on Friday. I tend to think out loud and typing this stuff out helps me sort thru the details. Any input/advice is welcome :act-up:

Last round (a 93) included 1 birdie, 3 pars, 7 bogeys, 6 doubles and one quad (my meltdown hole).

I only had two three putts - #5 (the quad hole) and #13 (a double bogey) so my putting was not bad. Either way if I avoid those two three putts I'm at 91.

But I don't think that's where the improvement will come from at this stage. My irons are just not that accurate at this point - whether it's a full swing approach shot or a pitch from short yardage.

Thanks all...

Only thing I'll offer up is that I find my range time much more productive if I focus on one thing while I'm there. Hitting my way through the entire bag doesn't really accomplish much but me hitting golf balls, so I save that for either when I go to goof of with friends or before rounds to loosen up. When I go to practice I take only what I plan on hitting, so I'm not tempted if things aren't going well. Need to work on irons? Take the ones you really want to practice with (sounds like you want to practice with approach irons, like 6-PW maybe?). If I have enough time, I'll take all of my irons but I usually focus on either long or short irons. I'm not really into shaping shots yet, but if I have some extra balls at the end of a session, I may try (unsuccessfully usually) to hit some on-demand fades or something.

I do always take my wedges and putter. Like to warm up with some full wedge swings, usually PW, then move into what I want to focus on. Also always keep them in there because I always do at least a few minutes of pitching, chipping and putting every time out. Sometimes I go just for that as that's honestly the most important part for me. Getting up and down for par is easily the largest contributor to me not bleeding strokes around the green.

Now to practice what I preach... :D

JonD - yeah; good advice there... I tend to carry the whole bag out with me since it has my sunscreen, towel, etc. I guess I could leave some clubs in the car to help narrow my practice session focus.

I'm averaging 1.75 GIR this season and hit 3 greens during my last round. If I can push that to 5 or 6 I should be breaking 90 soon. I'll take the approach irons out to the range today, pick a spot or two and just work on accuracy.

I am also missing my GIRs, I got to find time for the range to get my short irons going, it's got to be my biggest hold back.

Thanks all...
When you are at the range, focus all your shots on the closest flag/marker. Hit whatever club you think will get you there, and then take one more club, to ensure you get there.
Focus on just that one distance with two clubs. Maybe it is 50 yds, maybe 75 yds. That should help you get more accurate with both clubs, then take that to the course.
It is a start to hitting more GIR, but it is a focused start.

Thanks. Just frustrated with how I played overall but really it was 4 holes that just killed my score. The first blow up hole just shook my confidence and I didn't recover from there.

Made some putts and hit some good golf shots just frustrated... It sucks because I know I can play better than I did today

18 5's = 90. Every time you par a par 3 you've given yourself a 2 shot cushion. If you've got 90 as a goal, just focus on playing for 5's or less on a hole.

As for the how to get there part, I'm shooting in the 80s most rounds now and I have anything but a strong tee game. I have a strong iron game, but even with that I wasn't breaking 90 much at all. The scores dropped when I adjusted my short game tactics. For me it's the focus on one swing with many clubs. I chose what would be a hard putting stroke for my short game shot. I'm still getting distances dialed in but I can get out to 20-30 yards and feel good about my chances for getting it in the hole with no more than 3 shots total from there. Just do that a few times a round and those doubles become bogeys, bogeys become pars, and the blowup holes are really limited.

The other thing I stopped doing was going for the hero shot. If you eff up on one swing, don't double down on it with the next. The safe sideways punch out is your friend sometimes.

The point is, you will recapture many more shots in a round by being the most confident with your short game and putter. I know that's not news, but I had to take the long road for myself and finally realize everyone else was right.

I just had my best shot at 90 today, but finished just short with a 91. still my best round of the year.

my tee game was okay, so were my irons, I think I got 2-3 greens in reg, tops. my short game was good though, all that practice from the past weeks paid off, I didnt duff any chips, and I felt like I had a chance to sink any putt Inside 30 feet. I did not count my putts today, but I had only 1 3 putts, and my putting stroke felt good.

I will get there, I just need to work on my overall game, and stay focused

I just had my best shot at 90 today, but finished just short with a 91. still my best round of the year.

my tee game was okay, so were my irons, I think I got 2-3 greens in reg, tops. my short game was good though, all that practice from the past weeks paid off, I didnt duff any chips, and I felt like I had a chance to sink any putt Inside 30 feet. I did not count my putts today, but I had only 1 3 putts, and my putting stroke felt good.

I will get there, I just need to work on my overall game, and stay focused

Nice score Marty...any blowup holes?

Nice score Marty...any blowup holes?

of course I had a few, two triples if I remember correctly, the rest were pars, bogeys and doubles.

18 5's = 90. Every time you par a par 3 you've given yourself a 2 shot cushion. If you've got 90 as a goal, just focus on playing for 5's or less on a hole.

As for the how to get there part, I'm shooting in the 80s most rounds now and I have anything but a strong tee game. I have a strong iron game, but even with that I wasn't breaking 90 much at all. The scores dropped when I adjusted my short game tactics. For me it's the focus on one swing with many clubs. I chose what would be a hard putting stroke for my short game shot. I'm still getting distances dialed in but I can get out to 20-30 yards and feel good about my chances for getting it in the hole with no more than 3 shots total from there. Just do that a few times a round and those doubles become bogeys, bogeys become pars, and the blowup holes are really limited.

The other thing I stopped doing was going for the hero shot. If you eff up on one swing, don't double down on it with the next. The safe sideways punch out is your friend sometimes.

The point is, you will recapture many more shots in a round by being the most confident with your short game and putter. I know that's not news, but I had to take the long road for myself and finally realize everyone else was right.

I have to laugh at your "hero shot" quote. I have found myself holding a 2I (back when I had one) in the woods thinking about knocking it between a couple of trees while keeping it under a branch until this voice in my head kicks in to remind me it was screwing up on a helluva lot less challenging shot that got me in this mess in the first place.

Alright, I'm posting in here. I shoot around 95. I'm frustrated.

You know what frustrates me? Golf pros. They see me swing the club. They see my distance, and they think. Wow, she could really be good. Perhaps in another life, maybe. I've been told I have a really pretty looking swing. Unfortunately the ball goes all over the place. I should have called myself "Scattershot".

I'm learning how to limit damage now, but I still have a nasty hook that creeps in from time to time. It's with stuff like my 7 iron - 150 to 155 yds out and it hooks 30 yds to the left. My other miss is a block. And when I miss they go far. I play "military golf." Right - left - right - left. Then there's the duffs on the fairway. Toppers. Or chunkies.

I shoot about 95. I'd be really happy shooting around 85.

Lessons = yes.
And I know a lot of the problems are due to chronic injuries, and paranoia about cupping my left wrist.

I've learned that if I duff my drive, sometimes the next shot shouldn't be a fairway wood. It should be a 6 iron. It's a club I know I can hit. I'll at least advance the ball 170 yds. instead of risking another duffed shot. I need to learn to take enough club for my approach shot.

Another 94 dam it, 21 effing strokes on 4 par 3s. I gotta get those holes out of my head. They are killing me every round. On the front I shot a 45 (+10) with 12 strokes on 2 par 3s :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Alright, I'm posting in here. I shoot around 95. I'm frustrated.

You know what frustrates me? Golf pros. They see me swing the club. They see my distance, and they think. Wow, she could really be good. Perhaps in another life, maybe. I've been told I have a really pretty looking swing. Unfortunately the ball goes all over the place. I should have called myself "Scattershot".

I'm learning how to limit damage now, but I still have a nasty hook that creeps in from time to time. It's with stuff like my 7 iron - 150 to 155 yds out and it hooks 30 yds to the left. My other miss is a block. And when I miss they go far. I play "military golf." Right - left - right - left. Then there's the duffs on the fairway. Toppers. Or chunkies.

I shoot about 95. I'd be really happy shooting around 85.

Lessons = yes.
And I know a lot of the problems are due to chronic injuries, and paranoia about cupping my left wrist.

I've learned that if I duff my drive, sometimes the next shot shouldn't be a fairway wood. It should be a 6 iron. It's a club I know I can hit. I'll at least advance the ball 170 yds. instead of risking another duffed shot. I need to learn to take enough club for my approach shot.
I'd say I'm in a similar situation as you right now. I also get complimented every round on my potential. When I hit a good one onto the fairway and long (for me, which is about 230 typically, 250 with some luck), it's a beautiful thing... until I duff or chunk my approach shot. I block so many of my drives right, it gets really frustrating. Right now, I'm trying to channel that frustration into focusing on having productive practice sessions at the range and on the practice putting green, hoping that I'll find something that I can use that translates into better consistency and accuracy on the course.

Took just PW - 6i out to the range yesterday and worked exclusively on approach shots. I'd estimate about a 60% success rate for landing the shot on the "green" (so to speak - on the range of course). Still needs improvement so back to the range today. Gotta hit more greens to break 90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say I'm in a similar situation as you right now. I also get complimented every round on my potential. When I hit a good one onto the fairway and long (for me, which is about 230 typically, 250 with some luck), it's a beautiful thing... until I duff or chunk my approach shot. I block so many of my drives right, it gets really frustrating. Right now, I'm trying to channel that frustration into focusing on having productive practice sessions at the range and on the practice putting green, hoping that I'll find something that I can use that translates into better consistency and accuracy on the course.

Add me to that situation too. I had been shooting 90-91 and then shot 99 my last two rounds. Yesterday I was hooking almost every tee shot...with one blocked shot to the right. Hit only 29% of fairways. But that 29% were beauties. I Was complimented on how good I swung the club and if I fixed my hook I'd be hitting great shots. Was so frustrated that I went to the range after the round and was doing the same thing.
Optimistic view is that until I took lessons on the past offseason, I was slicing every ball. Was it Hank Haney that said hitting a hook is the last stop on the road to a good golf swing?

I'm brand new to the board. I'll preface by saying that. My dad was a decently good golfer and I regret not learning from him. I always found other things to do when he wanted to take me to a driving range etc... he turned 80 on May 8th and struggles wit health problems. So I resolved last year to learn to play instead of going out and just hitting whatever. I shot in 120s-140s depending on course difficulty or how many woods are on right If you know what I mean. Well I bought Hogans 5 lessons as was recommended and have watched some golf instructions on YouTube by a few individuals and have pieced together low hundreds and a 97. So yeah I'm inching that way. Every night I go in front yard with pitching wedge and work on things. The REVERSE K has kept my ball going straighter and sometimes a tad left instead of my slice or Push right. So I hope to break 90 before my dad passes away as kind of like bringing an A for the refrigerator in school. I'm bringing him that scorecard.

I'm brand new to the board. I'll preface by saying that. My dad was a decently good golfer and I regret not learning from him. I always found other things to do when he wanted to take me to a driving range etc... he turned 80 on May 8th and struggles wit health problems. So I resolved last year to learn to play instead of going out and just hitting whatever. I shot in 120s-140s depending on course difficulty or how many woods are on right If you know what I mean. Well I bought Hogans 5 lessons as was recommended and have watched some golf instructions on YouTube by a few individuals and have pieced together low hundreds and a 97. So yeah I'm inching that way. Every night I go in front yard with pitching wedge and work on things. The REVERSE K has kept my ball going straighter and sometimes a tad left instead of my slice or Push right. So I hope to break 90 before my dad passes away as kind of like bringing an A for the refrigerator in school. I'm bringing him that scorecard.

Welcome to THP! Best of luck!

Welcome to THP! Welcome to the 'Trying Break 90 Club'

Another 94 dam it, 21 effing strokes on 4 par 3s. I gotta get those holes out of my head. They are killing me every round. On the front I shot a 45 (+10) with 12 strokes on 2 par 3s :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Just a couple strokes shaved off those Par 3's and you would have been there easy. Keep at it man, so close!

Just a couple strokes shaved off those Par 3's and you would have been there easy. Keep at it man, so close!

Range night for me after work, I need to get these irons figured out. Don't know where they went during the winter vacation but I'm sure it was one-way.

Back