Stewart Hagestead anchoring putter at the masters

Doesn't he putt the same way Bernhard Langer does?

Doesn't he putt the same way Bernhard Langer does?

Someone mentioned in that article that they though Langer's stroke was illegal too. Personally, I haven't seen either of them putt.

I saw him putting during the masters and I totally thought he was anchoring it.
If you're going to let them putt like that, how would you even verify if the butt end of the putter is actually touching his chest rather than his shirt?

I watched him during the Masters. It appears he makes practice strokes anchored and then disconnects when he makes his actual putt.

I find it hard to believe he made it though the Mid-Am and was violating the rules. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

pics or it didn't happen

Stewart Hagestead anchoring putter at the masters

Augusta didn't call him on it so I'm going with he didn't/doesn't anchor

Last edited:
I saw it a few times and I have also watched langer putt a few times since the anchor ban. They are both very close to having their "anchor" hand against their chest. It's very hard to tell the difference.

Watch him him putt it looked as of the butt end of the putter was moving during the stroke indicating it's not anchored.

So the media has now taken to rules shake downs for stories?! I'm 100% sure the masters committee looked at and has no issue.

Yeah. Not an illegal stroke. Looks like it. But I have a hard time that the young man makes 72 holes anchoring at Augusta National.

Should the PGA ban long putters or just let them anchor ? Imho they should just let them anchor, appears not to be that big of advantage or everyone would be doing it.

So the media has now taken to rules shake downs for stories?! I'm 100% sure the masters committee looked at and has no issue.

the australian media. the american finished low am, beating the aussie for low am.

Should the PGA ban long putters or just let them anchor ? Imho they should just let them anchor, appears not to be that big of advantage or everyone would be doing it.
The PGA wants to let golfers anchor and use long putters. The PGA Tour wants the USGA to be the bad guy and make rules decision. The USGA likes to hear themselves talk.

The guy played in USGA events and the Masters and has never been penalized for and I'm sure this guy is not the first one to bring it up. It's like he's acting as if he made some great discovery. Yet his discovery has no legs. He wouldn't have made it this far if it was illegal.

His shirt was a size too large for him, I really couldn't tell if he was anchoring or not from the TV coverage I saw. I would guess not, or he would have been called on it.

He beat a close friend of mine in the semi finals of the mid-am, he said he doesn't anchor.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the USGA or PGA or both took a hard look at Langer's set up after the ban and found that it was not anchoring. His set up seems the same as Langer. Still hard to tell much difference between anchoring and not, but I guess legal is legal.

I think it's kinda funny the guy who got 2nd in low am was Australian, and the only websites/articles calling the guy out are from Australia...

The shirt just didn't fit him well so it is hard to tell. If he was someone would have said something in the mid am. Does Augusta still make the am qualifiers wear Augusta clothes and not anything with a name brand on it?

I believe the rule should be simply that if two hands are placed on a club, both hands must touch through the stroke. The putter can be any length. Or you can putt one-handed.

Tell that to Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson and Adam Scott. What's the money take for these three before and then since the anchoring ban. Web Simpson in particular will be off the tour in a few years at the rate he is going, all because he can't anchor his putter anymore, and can't get comfortable putting any other way. Scott has adjusted fairly well, but he's still not sniffing much, and Bradley is running neck and neck with Simpson towards the Web.com tour, and one and done legends of Majors gone by, like Rich Beem and Shaun Micheel.

I get your question, and wondered myself how they get away with doing what they are doing, but I simply defer to the Green Jackets, and other governing bodies of golf who enforce the rules to call them on it if what they are doing is illegal. I mean, it's not like we need super zoom video on one hole, where you can see ball marks and a moved ball in super slow mo :sarcastic: to determine if an infraction of the rules has taken place. Neither of these guys are hiding what they are doing.

Back