The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
You let administration do that, because it's their job.
I'm asking this from a Wisco perspective, the administrators, in this scenario, probably should be a part of the teachers union then, right? Am I looking at this wrong?

Oh I agree. But admittedly, I could teach my kids "US History" without ever mentioning slavery. I admit it wouldn't be accurate.

Sooo it wouldn't be teaching them history.

It would be parts of history?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

College loan system is busted as hell.

I'm almost out of student loan purgatory, so happy day there. No taxpayers bailing my ass out.
Costs of college is what's busted as hell. College degrees are not meant only for those that can afford them.

Well, I had to fill out 8 'failure justification' forms today, if that tells you anything.

So grades aren't a reason anymore? Why bother having teachers anymore, just put in a DVD and put your homework in the box kids.

Are kids allowed to fail anymore or have parents and administrators decided it looks better to push little Timmy through to the next level and make sure he doesn't feel like an outsider?
You pretty much can't fail a grade here anymore. It's virtually unheard of to be held back, no child left behind and all.

Instead we just push them through the grades, and they are more and more lost each and every year, until they get to high school and don't know how to read or addition or subtraction.

Yes. That's why I put quotation marks around "US History".

Seriously people, "gaming" something isn't any cooler than "playing" it.

I'm asking this from a Wisco perspective, the administrators, in this scenario, probably should be a part of the teachers union then, right? Am I looking at this wrong?
Why does it matter?

Its the job of administrators to track good teachers and bad teachers, simple documentation allowed for the firing of bad ones with no issues with any unions. The better q is how to you determine if an administrator is doing good or bad.

Stop bringing facts...haha

Costs of college is what's busted as hell. College degrees are not meant only for those that can afford them.

Why not? Since when is it a right for higher education on someone elses' dime?
Instead, one could work for their tuition and books or go to a community college for two years.

In years past, if you couldn't afford college, you got a job.

Everyone should get everything easily and not have to work for anything. Teachers are the devil and don't teach right without big brother watching. The Fed should run it all.

I'm out.

Oh I agree. But admittedly, I could teach my kids "US History" without ever mentioning slavery. I admit it wouldn't be accurate.
I have not given this a lot of thought in terms of what specific things should be taught. But my off the cuff reaction as a guy with a BA in History is that we'd look at the stuff that happened before and after any particular event (in this example, slavery) to assess its relative importance. I know you know this, but with the slavery example you can easily see that slavery was connected before and after to massive issues of human rights (which feeds into question about the nature of Democracy), economics, the formation and structure of the country, states rights vs. fed govt rights, etc. Ergo, it kinda needs to be included in the curriculum.

It's never been that way, it used to be those who could afford them, or those who did well enough in academics or another field to earn a scholarship. Or those who wanted to work hard enough to pay their way through .

The better q is how to you determine if an administrator is doing good or bad.

I am not smart enough to answer that.
Why not? Since when is it a right for higher education on someone elses' dime?
Instead, one could work for their tuition and books or go to a community college for two years.

In years past, if you couldn't afford college, you got a job.
It would make associate degrees more attractive. The worry for some (me included) is that overly expensive college helps foster and create a divide between haves and have nots. I understand, tough nuts, that's capitalism.

I am not smart enough to answer that.

It would make associate degrees more attractive. The worry for some (me included) is that overly expensive college helps foster and create a divide between haves and have nots. I understand, tough nuts, that's capitalism.

Then get a job and pay for it or earn a scholarship
The idea that someone else should have to, is exactly what is wrong with this entire world.

The entitlement that is out there is crazy talk. If little Timmy cannot afford school, he can work harder to get scholarship, or he can find employment to cover the costs.

Why does it matter?

Its the job of administrators to track good teachers and bad teachers, simple documentation allowed for the firing of bad ones with no issues with any unions. The better q is how to you determine if an administrator is doing good or bad.
A group of elected officials (school boards) ultimately decide how administration is doing...yay politics in education!!!
The government helps out much more for those that can't afford college...hence taxpayers paying for college degrees even without a bailout.

The idea that someone else should have to, is exactly what is wrong with this entire world.

The entitlement that is out there is crazy talk. If little Timmy cannot afford school, he can work harder to get scholarship, or he can find employment to cover the costs.
This is exactly what I did, BTW, with a little help from FEDs not much, but some. But I went to a state school because it was more affordable than the fancy private schools.

As I'm thinking about this, it isn't the cost of college that's the big problem. It's the debt. The debt can be managed with some want-to and foresight.

My son, who just finished his second year of college says I'd be appalled at the number of college students who have zero intention of paying back their student loans.

Come on, I say, it cannot be that bad I say.

He said it's probably a lot worse.
He said the liberal professors all but tell the kids to default on their loans.

We as a country are screwed.

This is exactly what I did, BTW, with a little help from FEDs not much, but some. But I went to a state school because it was more affordable than the fancy private schools.

As I'm thinking about this, it isn't the cost of college that's the big problem. It's the debt. The debt can be managed with some want-to and foresight.
Ah, but the cost is outrageous precisely because everyone can get a loan. Too much capital in the system skews supply and demand and eliminates downward pressures on price. Those rising prices creates the excessive debt.

My son, who just finished his second year of college says I'd be appalled at the number of college students who have zero intention of paying back their student loans.

Come on, I say, it cannot be that bad I say.

He said it's probably a lot worse.
He said the liberal professors all but tell the kids to default on their loans.

We as a country are screwed.
That is the worst advice ever. It is virtually impossible to successfully default on student loans.

Ah, but the cost is outrageous precisely because everyone can get a loan. Too much capital in the system skews supply and demand and eliminates downward pressures on price. Those rising prices creates the excessive debt.
I understand that. That's why making them less accessible is a good idea.

As I think about this, Jman (or other educators) is percentage of college enrollment used to rank high school systems?

I thought it was extremely hard to default on a student loan. If not, it should be dang near impossible.

Why would you do that? What would it achieve?
Are you assuming I want that? I just asked a question if it was. You're making your own inferences.

That is the worst advice ever. It is virtually impossible to successfully default on student loans.

I agree.
But my son says professors are telling kids to pay as little as possible each month, play the extension games, and cite hardships, basically do not make them a priority.

I told him forget that BS!
Pay them as directed.
I did something right, he agrees with me...

Are you assuming I want that? I just asked a question if it was. You're making your own inferences.

I asked a question, made no "inferences". If you don't want to answer, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back