What's your preferred distance/club for approach shots?

I like 110 yards. It the perfect aw for me. If I'm 250 or less with not much trouble I'm going for it. I'm confident in my game 50 and in, but 50-100 I feel like I can be just as accurate with my aw.

Not a theory, simple statistics. You can believe the numbers or not, your choice. It takes very little practice to learn to play shots from 60 or 70 yards and closer and have a tighter circle of dispersion than from 100 or 130. If your group is that bad, then they simply need to practice. I'm the worst practicer in the world, but I can still handle those shots.

I believe the numbers, but if you're trying to hit to a certain part of the green to have a realistic shot at birdie & there's $$ on the line, the human element comes into play.

In our group it seems that the single digit handicappers get rattled the most when they don't stick a dart from <70 yards.

While our green complexes are not as unforgiving as (for example) ANGC, there's definitely places you want - and don't want - to be. Tough birdie, easy par. But I appreciate your advise, I'll tell them that they need to practice these shots more.

125 - nice 3/4 pw

When laying up your 2nd shot on a long par 5 for example, do you just grab 3 wood and get as close to the green as you can or is there a preferred distance you're always trying to layup to so you can hit a particular club?

I like to pull 3 wood because it's fun to see if I can hit it well, but in my quest to break 90 I know I need to manage to my strengths and weaknesses better.

I only seem to be able to lay up to between an odd yardage. . .usually 110 yards.

If there is no water in front of the green, I'm hitting 3 wood as close as possible. If I have to lay up, I'm generally getting as close to the water as possible without the chance of going into the water... preferably between 80-120.

I believe the numbers, but if you're trying to hit to a certain part of the green to have a realistic shot at birdie & there's $$ on the line, the human element comes into play.

In our group it seems that the single digit handicappers get rattled the most when they don't stick a dart from <70 yards.

While our green complexes are not as unforgiving as (for example) ANGC, there's definitely places you want - and don't want - to be. Tough birdie, easy par. But I appreciate your advise, I'll tell them that they need to practice these shots more.

That's the problem - they have unrealistic expectations. What we see on TV is not the typical average, what we see are usually the best shots from the guys who are playing the hottest at the time. #1 on Tour this year from inside 100 yards is averaging 12.2'; #25 is 14.8 feet.

#1 from 50-75 yards is 6.6'. The 25th ranked player on Tour from 50 - 75 yards is 11.9 feet on approaches from 50-75 yards.

If your buddies are expecting to be that good, then they are being a bit unrealistic. Amateur numbers, even single digit handicaps, are typically going to be a lot higher than even the bottom 25% of ranked pros.

I usually try to get up around the green, but if I have no shot of getting within 30 yards of the green, then I'll lay up to around 125-130, which is a full 50* wedge for me.

I'm fine good with anywhere between 100-115. Nice swing of the GW and I am good to go.

If there is a chance I can get home in 2, I am going for it. If not, my ideal to lay-up to is 75 - 85 yards. More often than not, I can knock my LW (58*) to within comfortable birdie putt range.

I love approach shots from 115 and in.
I have more confidence in those shots.

Like many have posted, I prefer 110-120 yards out with my GW.

If I can I'll try to put it close to 110 which will leave me a smooth 52*. If that's not possible I prefer an 8i from 150.

Back