Photographing Golf Part 2 - Understanding Shutter Speed

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This continues the series of posts that are coming over the next few months that will help anybody that wants it. If you only use a cell phone, that is okay too, as many have controls now. It may sound hard or not worth it, but it is so simple, and will make all of the difference in the world.

If you missed Part 1, understanding Aperture, you can find that here.

With Aperture and ISO, Shutter Speed makes up the "Exposure Triangle" or the three pillars of photography. The easiest way to think about shutter speed, is it is where the magic is created. It creates either the freezing or blurring motion of what is captured. Before getting started, it is important to note what a shutter is. It is the piece that opens up, exposing the sensor to light and then closes, eliminating the light. So think of taking a picture, you click the shutter button, and the shutter opens and closes for a set period of time.

Shutter speed is just what it sounds like. The length of time that the camera is open to expose light to the sensor. That's it. Now to where it matters.

Fast Shutter Speed = Stopping motion in time
Slow Shutter Speed = Motion Blur

The first question usually asked is why would anybody want a slow shutter speed and blur?
The answer is pretty easy. If movement is supposed to be communicated to the viewer, motion blur adds that.

How is it Measured
Like our first lesson, where f-stops are used and can seem too complicated, despite being very easy, shutter speeds are the same. They are typically done in second fractions. 1/4 is a quarter of a second and 1/250 would mean one two hundred and fiftieth of a second.

Fast shutter speeds are used to freeze the action so to give you an example in golf, shooting at 1/500th and above to freeze the swing. When you see a swing frozen, you will know that the shutter speed was set rather fast and if you see the blur, which shows movement, that it was slower.

Setting Shutter Speed
Many photographers let the camera handle shutter speeds automatically and honestly they do a darn good job in auto modes. If you are going to stick in an auto mode, we suggest looking at Aperture Priority mode, which lets you set the aperture and the camera will set the shutter speed for you.

If you decide to switch that, you can go into Shutter Priority and that is where you set the shutter speed and the camera selects the aperture for you or you can go into full auto where you set both shutter speed and aperture independently. There is no right or wrong, it is whatever makes you enjoy both the art of taking pictures and the enjoyment of the final products when done.

Some examples

Helicopter Landing at Tavistock (1/640) (see blades frozen)
DSC_5176-L.jpg

Swing (1/320) (still see a bit of motion blur)
DSC_5367-L.jpg

Swing (1/500) (frozen in time)
i-QxtX6Pk-L.jpg

Excellent and concise write up JB!

With my DSLR I typically shoot in Shutter priority unless I'm doing portraits, but I'm typically shooting moving kids or similar. It can lead to some really cool shots. I have a picture of my daughter where she appears to be floating over the water, I caught her mid-jump into the ocean. Another one after some tweaking ended up with just her face and the background of the photo is her hair flowing behind her as she was running towards me.

Interesting stuff JB. I'm a camera noob and am going to see if I can play with some of the settings today as I plan on taking the day off to take my kid to the park. Thanks for linking Part 1 as well; needed the refresher on aperture.

• Admin
Interesting stuff JB. I'm a camera noob and am going to see if I can play with some of the settings today as I plan on taking the day off to take my kid to the park. Thanks for linking Part 1 as well; needed the refresher on aperture.

Have some fun with it. Shoot a lot of pictures in different modes. I shoot manual, but I recommend aperture priority for people starting out. You can drastically change the image with one tweak.

Outside with strong lighting you can really get some AMAZING shots of the kids. With the brighter light you can get a very small aperture and a fast shutter speed which leads to really really great action shots, especially with the kids since they're always moving and jumping. It's a lot of fun to capture those moments.

So I've literally been trying to understand this for a couple of years. Great write up!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Really digging this series. I have a pretty nice camera that I really have no idea how to leverage :)

Really enjoying this information. Photography is something that I have always had a thing. I love great photos but just never really "got it". I have been recently contemplating picking up a decent camera to start playing around with it, this info will be super helpful when I do.

Love what your doing here and for whatever reason your summaries are just so easy to follow. I usually get flustered with the aperture numbers, then the shutter numbers and forget what one should be if the other is at this or that. This makes it pretty simple to follow, but you're right, just need to get out more and experiment more with the settings.

Love what your doing here and for whatever reason your summaries are just so easy to follow. I usually get flustered with the aperture numbers, then the shutter numbers and forget what one should be if the other is at this or that. This makes it pretty simple to follow, but you're right, just need to get out more and experiment more with the settings.

Thanks. Its all about putting some fun back into it.
I was able to learn it from someone that explained things really well, so figure why not pass on the information.

Have some fun with it. Shoot a lot of pictures in different modes. I shoot manual, but I recommend aperture priority for people starting out. You can drastically change the image with one tweak.
pulled off the googles

78aGhZd.jpg

oh dang thanks JB! I have been doing more of this and my wife has been working on photography as well (she is much more learned than I haha). I will have to go and take a look at part 1 as well.

Appreciate it

Thanks everybody. Glad you are enjoying them.

Really enjoying these tips. very useful info. Thanks!

This is a cool way to break it down. I knew a bit about speed but not the actual numbers and what would take each pictures. I like this, I like learning about photography, it's a small side hobby, that I would be more interested in getting into as it is a good outlet for creativity for me, when I'm not a very creative person.

Back