Scoring Clubs coming up short....

BigFrank

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie,
I'm used to high-70's/Low 80's scoring, but recently I've lost some distance with my scoring clubs and I'm shooting in the mid to high 80's. Do you see anything that would cause a sudden drop in carry yardage from 9i through Lob Wedge. Stock 9i was 155, PW 140, GW 125, SW 110, LW 95, all of a sudden I'm coming up short with those clubs, but my yardages with 8i - 4i have all remained the same. I've included a DTL 9 iron swing and a Face On 3 wood tees shot. If you see anything that I could work on, any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/128527924
https://vimeo.com/128527969

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can't wait to hear what freddie says. this swing looks really good to my untrained eye.

I had a similar issue last year, and it was caused by me flipping through impact. I was adding loft to the club, leaving the face open, and also not compressing the ball as much as I should have.

See if you can get a face-on video of you swinging some wedges/scoring irons.

I was gonna say, my knee jerk reaction would be flipping through impact. Apparently Jow has the same thought.

I have the SAME EXACT THING going on right now with almost those same EXACT yardages and clubs. I can almost bet you we have the same swing flaw going on. I haven't had time to get a lesson or take a video but I would bet money that my hands aren't leading the club in a good impact position and I'm flipping the club causing more loft. It has been frustrating the heck out of me lately and is something I will work towards fixing over the next few weeks. Can't wait to hear what Freddie has to say.

Yeah, I need a face on w/ a 9i and thought I had one, but I do not. If the weather would allow me to get out and play or even let the range dry out, I'll make sure I post one. I'm definitely not used to coming up short on approach shots and the last two rounds I've hit 5 and 6 greens respectively. The easy thing is to take more club, but I'd rather fix the problem than patch it for sure.

Yeah, I need a face on w/ a 9i and thought I had one, but I do not. If the weather would allow me to get out and play or even let the range dry out, I'll make sure I post one. I'm definitely not used to coming up short on approach shots and the last two rounds I've hit 5 and 6 greens respectively. The easy thing is to take more club, but I'd rather fix the problem than patch it for sure.

I'd like to see what Freddie says too. But I know that if I'm going through something similar to this with my scoring clubs, then I'm not getting to my left side well (which in turn causes the casting or flipping).

I'd like to see what Freddie says too. But I know that if I'm going through something similar to this with my scoring clubs, then I'm not getting to my left side well (which in turn causes the casting or flipping).

I normally don't have a problem getting onto my left side, but I normally set up w/ my left foot staggered a bit and after thinking about it last night and playing around in the living room, I've noticed I'm not doing that as a natural set up. I know in the past, that has allowed me to get to my left side easier. If it ever stops raining, I'll make it a point to make sure I'm getting over to left side. Thanks for the input.

I had a similar issue last year, and it was caused by me flipping through impact. I was adding loft to the club, leaving the face open, and also not compressing the ball as much as I should have.

See if you can get a face-on video of you swinging some wedges/scoring irons.
Did you get the sensation, or feel at impact, that the ball was rolling up the club face a bit? Just recently I've seen some approach shots come up shorter than I expected, and it almost felt as though I was hitting the ball off the top groove as opposed to the bottom where I normally live…

Did you get the sensation, or feel at impact, that the ball was rolling up the club face a bit? Just recently I've seen some approach shots come up shorter than I expected, and it almost felt as though I was hitting the ball off the top groove as opposed to the bottom where I normally live…

Contact felt normal, didn't feel like I was hitting the ball any differently. I tend to play a slight fade w/ short clubs just to control my miss and it definitely could be me leaving the club open at impact and it being more a glancing blow than compacting the ball.

Freddie or anyone else, if you see anything in my swing that I could work on or needs to be overhauled, please let me know. I haven't been consistent lately and it's driving me crazy.

Are you a picker of the ball normally?

Yeah, I'd say I more of a picker. I don't usually take a large divot, but I do take a divot 95% of the time.

What are you seeing? Is there anything dramatic that needs to be changed or altered? I would really enjoy any feedback. I am pretty tidy on and around the greens and I feel good about my game overall, but I would love to get my index down around a 5 or so. Only been playing for about 6 yrs, pretty much self taught from videos and books.

This. I'm guilty of the same thing and struggling right now to fix it. Swing gets to be all arms and it's either short if it's straight or pin high but pulled. Killing me!!

What are you seeing? Is there anything dramatic that needs to be changed or altered? I would really enjoy any feedback. I am pretty tidy on and around the greens and I feel good about my game overall, but I would love to get my index down around a 5 or so. Only been playing for about 6 yrs, pretty much self taught from videos and books.

I asked if your picker because the first video you picked the ball off the turf on the upward end of the swing. If, and i stress if, your club is slightly open, the ball.can roll up the face and rob you of distance. It's important with the scoring irons that you lead with the hands and the club head follow.

So I would like to see you try an exaggerated forward press and a 3/4 swing. Work on keeping the hands in front of the ball at impact. The idea is to get the feeling. And work on the mechanics.

Back