The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me, I have a kid who is under the age of one so I haven't had to deal with this but ... exactly what is tested on if not the two most significant events in the life our country?
Reconstruction on. And the best part of that? How are they supposed to understand Reconstruction without teaching the civil war?

I'm asking because I don't know. How do we teach the good (ex. revolutionary war) and the bad (ex. segregation) without favoring one over the other?
You let history be taught, it IS The good and the bad, and always has been.

Let it be taught.

I don't know where this stigma comes from.

I'm just a dirtbag mechanic and I make a pretty decent living.

Much better than most people I know with only 4 yeAr degrees .

I honestly think trade schools are more important than ever right now .

I'll have to find an amazing article mike rowe wrote about the situation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a huge advocate of trade schools. I went to Vo-Tech in high school for electronics and is was extremely valuable. While I joined the Army and chose a very different career path in the education side after I got out, some if the guys that I went to school with stayed with it and are now making 6 figures from a 2 year certification program and continuing education.

I have a guy I know that has a Psychology degree and makes $42k a year. My neighbor is a certified welder and makes 6 figures.

I think Americans have lost the value of hard work for the most part. Some of the happiest people I know come home dirty every day from work.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

****, for that matter YOU JUST LET ALL TEACHERS TEACH!

Reconstruction on. And the best part of that? How are they supposed to understand Reconstruction without teaching the civil war?
LOL. This is why education doesn't need to happen on a national level ... when you put it on a national level, you allow it to politicized ... and stupid nonsensical s**t is allowed to happen.

When I think American History, I think AMERICAN HISTORY. From the minute it was discovered to the present day. Does it make for a lot to learn, yeah ... but isn't that what school is for? Learning?

I am a huge advocate of trade schools. I went to Vo-Tech in high school for electronics and is was extremely valuable. While I joined the Army and chose a very different career path in the education side after I got out, some if the guys that I went to school with stayed with it and are now making 6 figures from a 2 year certification program and continuing education.

I have a guy I know that has a Psychology degree and makes $42k a year. My neighbor is a certified welder and makes 6 figures.

I think Americans have lost the value of hard work for the most part. Some of the happiest people I know come home dirty every day from work.

It is easier to make loud noises about others making too much for their hard work than it is to do one's own hard work.

You let history be taught, it IS The good and the bad, and always has been.

Let it be taught.
Right. I think the issue I have, it's got to be hard not to favor the good or over emphasize the bad.

It does make me sad that most people don't know how many Presidents have been impeached, where the first shots office civil war were fired, or the order of succession of the Presidency

The Official Rant of the Day

My brother has a psychology degree from the state college , graduated with a 3.6 ish GPA.

My sister graduated second in her class from Iowa state university with a degree in veterinary medicine . She has tens of thousands of dollars in school loans and I make more money than both of them.

Granted over time my sister will probably end up making more than me if she decides to open her own practice but the hours are terrible .

Sad really.

I mean how do you even do that lol. You dont even have reconstruction without the Civil War. I would like to be a fly on the wall for those classes.

My brother has a psychology degree from the state college , graduated with a 3.6 ish GPA.

My sister graduated second in her class from Iowa state university with a degree in veterinary medicine . She has tens of thousands of dollars in school loans and I make more money than both of them.

Granted over time my sister will probably end up making more than me if she decides to open her own practice but the hours are terrible .

Sad really.

Yeah it is pretty crazy. Ive got 2 good friends that are web designers, one has an associates and the other didnt go to college but they both make over 80k from home. Makes me question my field lol

Right. I think the issue I have, it's got to be hard not to favor the good or over emphasize the bad.

It does make me sad that most people don't know how many Presidents have been impeached, where the first shots office civil war were fired, or the order of succession of the Presidency
For professional educators, it isn't an issue or hard. For politicians who don't have a ****ing clue, it is.

For professional educators, it isn't an issue or hard. For politicians who don't have a ****ing clue, it is.
I never thought of it that way. Politicians have a way to politicize everything.

Sad really.

Hell, many of the folks I graduated with didn't even get jobs in anywhere close to what they got a degree in. My high school friends are much the same way - and one guy with a 4 year degree who works at Shop-Rite.

I agree, for some reason the trade job has been devalued. Part of me wishes I would have gone that route, and part of me is glad I went to college. There are positives and negatives to both paths, but they're certainly not tied to one being better than the other. I respect the hell out of skilled electricians, plumbers, and mechanics.

Tech School is considered "lesser" (Which is laughable).
In today's society everybody is a winner
Lets give everybody a ribbon (college)
And then let the tax payers bail them out when they cant afford their "loans".

Welcome to the new world order.

I was going to rant about being hit in the foot by a ball that ricocheted off a pole and info the bay I was using at the range. Now I am sitting here with my foot icing and an 8:10 tee time tomorrow.
I was also going to remark about the first use of my Sc100 launch monitor shattering my Internet golfer dreams. But somehow I seem to have wandered into the debate room.
Carry on.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

The world won't work without trades. Someone had to build those degree issuing buldings.

Jman, another question, how should teachers be measured? How do we gauge if teaching methods are working? I don't know or have any idea.

College loan system is busted as hell.

I'm almost out of student loan purgatory, so happy day there. No taxpayers bailing my ass out.

I think the point is that you don't pick events because they were good or bad, you pick them because they fit the narrative of our country's experience. Some bad stuff happened along the way. Some good stuff happened along the way. History is about understanding both, and event's context in the larger experience.

But they were only kids and didnt know what they signed up for...
Its funny how many people complain about student loans and never seem to realize that its a choice. This country makes you feel like college is the only way to succeed and as others have said its sad. Luckily I didnt have loans after school so just paying my wifes for now.

I think the point is that you don't pick events because they were good or bad, you pick them because they fit the narrative of our country's experience. Some bad stuff happened along the way. Some good stuff happened along the way. History is about understanding both, and event's context in the larger experience.
Oh I agree. But admittedly, I could teach my kids "US History" without ever mentioning slavery. I admit it wouldn't be accurate.

College loan system is busted as hell.

I'm almost out of student loan purgatory, so happy day there. No taxpayers bailing my ass out.

Its only busted because they give them to anybody.
Low interest loans given to anybody is exactly what got us into just about every other financial issue out there.

Jman, another question, how should teachers be measured? How do we gauge if teaching methods are working? I don't know or have any idea.
You let administration do that, because it's their job.

Are kids allowed to fail anymore or have parents and administrators decided it looks better to push little Timmy through to the next level and make sure he doesn't feel like an outsider?

Are kids allowed to fail anymore or have parents and administrators decided it looks better to push little Timmy through to the next level and make sure he doesn't feel like an outsider?
Well, I had to fill out 8 'failure justification' forms today, if that tells you anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back