What do you do to maintain focus?

I go fetch the club I just launched. Kidding, of course. (nowadays.)
Sometimes I self talk, sometimes just chat with my playing group, sometimes nonsensical rhyming in my head.

Remind myself just how much I paid for the round.

When I used to play competitively, if not thinking about the next shot, I would just count in my head...like count my steps as I walked or something else mindlessly.

I try to be focused mainly when standing over the ball, trying to switch it off between shots.

When it is time for the shot, I try to pick a target, even if it is something off in the distance to try and aim at (I no longer just get up to the ball and hit it). If all else fails, advance the ball. Any distance I can eat up on a pitch out or something like that just makes the next shot easier/shorter.

100 yards and in, and especially on the green, I want to sink it. If I make a conscious effort to drain the putt/chip I find even if I don't that I am in a much closer position for my next attempt.

Altzheimers.

Focus is one of my big problems with my game. If I could just focus on my tempo I think it would really make a difference.

My best way to focus is to stay relaxed. That's just in my character, I did the same when I played other sports at an international level. I never worry when playing sports, cause my main reason to play is relaxation and enjoyment. Don't beat yourself up over a bad shot, there are more important things in life.

One other thing that's really important (and often overlooked) to maintain a certain level of concentration is to eat and drink enough during the round.

Back