What's your pitching/chipping technique?

What's your pitching/chipping technique?

• Total voters

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
I used have a horrible short game. I'd skull around the green then get nervous and decell then duff it and advance it a foot or so. I was very handsy. I watch a ton of golf and liked the short game of Steve Stricker. Very simple motion back and through. Adam Scott and Jason Day are a couple others that come to mind. I practiced a lot with that thought in mind. I can now generally navigate from 50 yards and in acceptably. I'm not a high spin player so I control my distance with trajectory. What's technique do you use and how did you adopt it?

prayer

close my eyes, whisper something to [insert higher power of your choice], and flail away

in all seriousness (not that the above isn't completely non-serious...) i'm a less hand action guy around the green.

my chipping technique is a lot like a putting stroke but obviously with a more lofted club (usually PW).

For pitching I take partial swings and will open the face up on my 60/choke down if I need to get more height/take distance off.

As little wrist as possible.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Much like my putting stoke,the least wrist hinge as possiable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually try and figure out the way that I am least likely to mess it up. Usually just treat it like a putt with my motion.

closed stance, weight forward, accelerate through the shot

closed stance, weight forward, accelerate through the shot
Same except I'm slightly open.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Same except I'm slightly open.

I meant closed as in my feet being together. Typically my stance is open to the target as well

I meant closed as in my feet being together. Typically my stance is open to the target as well
Gotcha. Feet width similar to putting stance.

Gotcha. Feet width similar to putting stance.

I tried that in the past but i always found myself getting stuck behind the ball and scooping which lead to less spin for me. Putting the stance closer together allowed me to compress the ball more and generate more spin. Im not a big bump and run kinda guy

As we've discussed previously, my chipping/pitching technique is a lot of mental build up. When I stand of the ball I'm trying to not think about hitting a poor shot and I tend to decel. My plan is to work on a minimalistic hands approach and accelerate through shots until I overcome my fear.

Forward press, little to no wrist action, keep hands ahead of club head, not handsy. I think I picked up my technique from watching some Phil Mickelson segment.

Forward press, little to no wrist action, keep hands ahead of club head, not handsy. I think I picked up my technique from watching some Phil Mickelson segment.

I know one of Phils techniques that he preached in Secrets of the Short Game was the wrist hinge and hold.

I will select whatever club will get the ball rolling as soon as possible on the green. I read the line just like I'm putting. I use a stroke similar to putting with almost no wrist movement. Putting the ball back in the stance a litte, give a forward shaft press, then pull the trigger. That forward shaft press helps me strike down and through with acceleration.
This is actually my favorite shot because at least one a round drops, or at least hits the pin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

THIS is the only way to chip.

I forward press , ball back in my in my stance, and use a swift motion and try to make it every single time. I don't make it like Phil does, but I certainly have my fair share of tap ins.

And the best part about this technique is there's almost no error in it. I never ever chunk or thin chips. The error is only in hitting it too hard or soft.

Last edited:
I improved as a chipper when I learned how to use the bounced of the wedge. Once you learn how to do that you increase your margin for error by quite a bit. You can hit it a bit thin, a bit fat or clean and get an acceptable result.

I play the shot that I feel is dictated by the ground in front of me. I usually run into trouble when I don't see something obvious and don't take the time to commit.

If the greens are running really hot I will only use my 58 and employ more loft to reduce the roll out. If I have alot of green to work with I like to play an aggressive low shot that gets to the pin.

What's technique? Still working on it...

Hinge and hold when wanting a lower shot, allow the club head to pass the hands after impact when playing a higher shot.

I'm not sure I have arrived at a method as yet, however I was out practicing my chipping game yesterday and noticed great strides of improvement in it once I started applying mostly a swinging pendulum wrist action with little or no arm movement.

I recently made an adjustment to an open to the target line stance (about 30 degrees) when using a sand wedge.

My swing is probably more wristy than it should be, but it feels smooth and comfortable. I have yet to take it and really work it at the range to hone it down, so I can't say it's a permanent change or not.

I was previously a no-wrist pendulum chipper with the SW.

I also employ an actual chipper for longer length approaches on short grass/dry courses.

I try and mimic steve stricker's action as much as possible in my short game!

Way open stance. Belt buckle at target. Forward press to start the takeaway and if I'm trying to fly it and one hop stop there's wrist hinge if I want it to run up there's none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to keep my hand action down but there are many times it creeps up and next thing you know my short game swing even worse than normal.

Back