What's your pitching/chipping technique?

• Total voters
My short game improved quite a bit when I started practicing the setup and principles taught b y Derrick Deminsky on instagram (@golfbettertuscon). He's got some good youtube videos as well.

This one is kinda goofy (in his house), but demonstrates his setup and move pretty well.

My short game improved quite a bit when I started practicing the setup and principles taught b y Derrick Deminsky on instagram (@golfbettertuscon). He's got some good youtube videos as well.

This one is kinda goofy (in his house), but demonstrates his setup and move pretty well.

This was actually really good stuff to practice. Very basic fundamentals but effective! thanks for the post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

feet together, weight on my front foot, open the face a little, straight arms, make the back swing and follow through even

As simple as possible. Bump and run if I can.

My chipping technique is kind of in between, depending on the shot needed. Some shots require more wrist action than others.

How I developed it? My technique is just natural for the most part, I've always just kind of had a natural feel around the greens. I hit the ball how it seems it should given the situation, and works out a decent amount of the time.

This was actually really good stuff to practice. Very basic fundamentals but effective! thanks for the post!

I really like the stuff he teaches. He's a good follow on IG as well.

I use James Ridyard's style for inside 30 yards or so varying ball position and the amount of wrist over taking to control spin and trajectory. Out side of that I use a steeper swing with dead hands out to 75-80 yards. Then a fairly normal swing past that.

I went with minimal because I play more chips than pitches, but I do use a little more hand action on some pitches. Really depends on what the pitch shot has to do.

I'm a no wrist action kinda guy. Ball is in the back of the stance, hands are forward, stance is slightly open. Weight is slightly biased towards the front foot. I try to keep the ball low, and generally get a good amount of spin / check. I think I generally expect green side chips to fly 40% and roll 60%.

I tend to hinge the wrists on the way back and then hold that angle through impact. It's probably a lousy method but it works for me and keeps my thins/chunks/flubs to a bare minimum.

I was no wrist for a while. Then Mr. Cleveland suggested I work on turning the hands over through longer pitches. It has worked well.

I always aim for little to no wrist hinge, opting to turn and follow through with the upper body.

I like the "hinge and hold" method but I feel very comfortable using multiple techniques depending on the situation. High and soft, bump and run, low spinner etc. I try to stay away from an all out flop unless mandated but I have an above average short game and pretty good feel for the situation.

I use the technique shown to me by Roger Cleveland at the ECPC and it works pretty good

I'm in the no wrist category. It's worked for me, being around the greens is probably where I'm most comfortable on the golf course to be honest.

Chips are no wrists, pitches are more of a hinge and hold method. When I retire and have more time I will likely make changes to my pitching technique and use more wrist hinge on some of them.

When my short game is on, like today when i broke 90, i don't think about that. It's just a fraction of the full swing. There will always be some wrist and arm action like the full swing.

One thing that has really helped my short game and today was some of the best I had, is to initiate the backswing with the left arm and come down with the right. This has done wonders to my chips and pitches.

My stock chip/pitch shot is Phil's hinge and hold. Went from a weakness to a strength almost overnight. Helps that I use a 64*

Pitch shots from 50y in or so I keep my hands quiet and choose a wedge based on the carry and rollout distance. I vary my takeaway and follow thru to control how far the shot flies (rather than swinging "softer" or "harder" - I'm not athletic enough to do that consistently). Roughly: swinging back and thru just past my knees is 25%, hip to hip is 50%, shoulder to shoulder is 75%.

For chipping as others have said I choose a club that gets the ball on the ground about 3 paces onto the green and run it up from there. Could be anything from a SW to a 7i depending on how far I want it to roll. Hands in front of the ball at address, weight about 60% on the front foot, don't break the wrists.

That's what works for me, anyway. YMMV.

Minimal hand action, just too inconsistent with more.

stiff wrist for short chips, hinge and hold for medium pitches, wrist release/flip for anything short needing height

Forward press, little to no wrist action, keep hands ahead of club head, not handsy. I think I picked up my technique from watching some Phil Mickelson segment.

No forward press unless I really want to deloft the club. I will use either the 9, 8, or 7 iron depending on much run out I want. Obviously, the higher lofted clubs typically release less.

Chips are no wrists, pitches are more of a hinge and hold method. When I retire and have more time I will likely make changes to my pitching technique and use more wrist hinge on some of them.

exactly what I do.

I play courses where you can only chip from the fringe or if you miss directly in front of the green. All green complexes I typically play are elevated from any other direction and require a lot of wrist hinge and a high lofted wedge to get the ball up on the greens.

I'm not a fan of the green complex designs (4 courses at one club), and actually would rather putt with a 3 wood out of the pockets around the greens any time it is wet.

Back