The Car Shopping Thread

I would personally never own one and here is why.

There is one dealership within like 200 miles of here and they are awful.

They are ridiculously expensive to fix and aftermarket parts don't really exist. The dealership here places an order once a week so if you get on the wrong side of that you won't have your parts for a week.

This is regional other dealers' may work differently I don't know.

People that drive them seem to love them until something breaks, but that can be said by just about any car.

I've never owned one so I can't really comment on that experience , but the repair side is a nightmare .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's valuable input though. She's coming from a Honda Accord, that basically needs nothing but oil changes, so i'm concerned on anything that will constantly be in the shop (under warranty or not). We're pushing 125000 on the accord, but little stupid things are starting to happen with it.

That's valuable input though. She's coming from a Honda Accord, that basically needs nothing but oil changes, so i'm concerned on anything that will constantly be in the shop (under warranty or not). We're pushing 125000 on the accord, but little stupid things are starting to happen with it.

Just depends on how long you plan on owning it .

Coming from an Accord I think you would be disappointed with the cost of ownership if you kept it that long.

With that being said there are plenty of worse options out there.

Camry? They seem even with the recalls to last a lifetime. They look decent now and the standard equip is solid. Hyundai Sonata is another one that might be solid.

Camry? They seem even with the recalls to last a lifetime. They look decent now and the standard equip is solid. Hyundai Sonata is another one that might be solid.

We have a camry as our 'work car' and its universally hated here in the office. Seats are really uncomfortable (albeit the cheap model, nothing fancy). I have to drive 5 hours for work, and when I get where i'm going I feel like I have to make a chiropractic appointment... just my opinion though.

Which recalls do you speak of? I know there's and extension on the warranty of the transmission due to possible torque converter lockup .

My wife's is a 12 and we haven't received any other recalls so I need to look something up?

We have a camry as our 'work car' and its universally hated here in the office. Seats are really uncomfortable (albeit the cheap model, nothing fancy). I have to drive 5 hours for work, and when I get where i'm going I feel like I have to make a chiropractic appointment... just my opinion though.

You can spend 24 or 36 on a Camry. The sport models aren't very comfortable compared to the loaded XLE for sure.

I really liked the Mazda 6 when I drove it, handles well for it's segment and decent acceleration for a 4banger. More fun to drive than most in its class. Still rode very well and the interior was pretty nice. Styling isn't my favorite but not the worst.

I had a 2005 Mazda 6 for a year, enjoyed the car but could see a little bit of what Jrod is getting at. There were some minor repairs that would have been significantly cheaper with some other makes.

I swore off Mazda forever after owning a 929 back when they were the best car they made. The rear struts went out, which ended up being a dealer only part and were like $300 each 10 years ago. Then the ABS pump went out. Again, dealer only part which was over $1200 for just the part.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the wife is going to want to go car shopping soon. For some reason, she wants a Mazda 6. I've never owned, or driven a mazda, so i have no idea if they're decent...

I would personally never own one and here is why.

There is one dealership within like 200 miles of here and they are awful.

They are ridiculously expensive to fix and aftermarket parts don't really exist. The dealership here places an order once a week so if you get on the wrong side of that you won't have your parts for a week.

This is regional other dealers' may work differently I don't know.

People that drive them seem to love them until something breaks, but that can be said by just about any car.

I've never owned one so I can't really comment on that experience , but the repair side is a nightmare .

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. It sounds like your side of the country just has a bad dealership.

FWIW I have a new model mazda 6 and love it. My brother and I actually both own one. His is pretty stock low level, and I have the grand touring. Both work great for us and we have put a ton of miles on them compared to the average driver per year. Never had an issue with parts or anything and we've actually both been in accidents with them haha. Both times someone rear ended us...weird. But had no issue with anything regarding the car or repairs and never thought they were expensive to fix...so not sure where that is coming from. I wasn't out of my car for more than 3 days, and I think my brother had his fixed in a week or less. I am going to guess this is just an isolated terrible experience with a specific car dealership, who TBH, pretty much make up their own rules.

Mazda is putting out some incredibly solid cars recently.

Another thing to add about Mazda is they have had a pretty big overhaul with their line up. So I mean like 2014 and newer. Some of their cars in the last decade have had a lot of problems, but it seems a lot of it has been addressed. I know especially in this part of the country Mazda's are everywhere and I don't know anyone personally that has one that wouldn't recommend them.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. It sounds like your side of the country just has a bad dealership.

FWIW I have a new model mazda 6 and love it. My brother and I actually both own one. His is pretty stock low level, and I have the grand touring. Both work great for us and we have put a ton of miles on them compared to the average driver per year. Never had an issue with parts or anything and we've actually both been in accidents with them haha. Both times someone rear ended us...weird. But had no issue with anything regarding the car or repairs and never thought they were expensive to fix...so not sure where that is coming from. I wasn't out of my car for more than 3 days, and I think my brother had his fixed in a week or less. I am going to guess this is just an isolated terrible experience with a specific car dealership, who TBH, pretty much make up their own rules.

Mazda is putting out some incredibly solid cars recently.

Very well may be the case.

I just know when the part isn't in stock it takes ages to get .

Whether or not that's a Mazda problem or a Lujacks (dealership) problem I can't tell you .

Very well may be the case.

I just know when the part isn't in stock it takes ages to get .

Whether or not that's a Mazda problem or a Lujacks (dealership) problem I can't tell you .

Yea, I think it might just be a dealer problem. But that's completely understandable...I would never buy a certain car if my only dealer option close by was terrible. So I absolutely get what you're saying.

I have a 2005 Mazda 3. I bought it new. I have no legitimate complaints.

Which recalls do you speak of? I know there's and extension on the warranty of the transmission due to possible torque converter lockup .

My wife's is a 12 and we haven't received any other recalls so I need to look something up?

Toyota recently in general has had a ton. But the current ones I know of are the Takata airbags, air conditioning condesors causing airbags to go off, and some stupid seat sensor. The water causing air bags to go off is pretty comical because my old corolla had a recall for the center consol and drinks making it wet and causing an airbag to go off.

The Car Shopping Thread

Toyota recently in general has had a ton. But the current ones I know of are the Takata airbags, air conditioning condesors causing airbags to go off, and some stupid seat sensor. The water causing air bags to go off is pretty comical because my old corolla had a recall for the center consol and drinks making it wet and causing an airbag to go off.

They actually have a middle of the road recall rate.

This is the last 30 years through MY 2014.

Edited to fix improper use of lowest.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432231901.255588.jpg

They actually have one of the lowest recall rates.

View attachment 19967

Ohh I know they are reliable and pretty issue free, but the last 4-5 years they have had their share and a lot of media hype behind them. I still say Toyota and Honda are the most problem free cars out there. My 93 Corolla had 350k miles on it when I traded it in on my Nissan, now there was a terrible car.

Before...
63ee5d59b9099c91da94e7578a83df7b.jpg

Stay tuned for after...

Why isn't it orange?

They actually have a middle of the road recall rate.

Edited to fix improper use of lowest.

View attachment 19967

Wait...how are some of those companies recalling more cars than they even sold?

I think its amount of cars recalled and amount of cars sold, so possibly previous models? Or could be fleet and other things but Ford and GM did it.

Multiple recalls on the same vehicle, I would assume. See Chevy Corvette. My buddy's has been in for more recalls than oil changes.

I think its amount of cars recalled and amount of cars sold, so possibly previous models? Or could be fleet and other things but Ford and GM did it.

Is it maybe that some of their models have had more than one recall?

Ohh I know they are reliable and pretty issue free, but the last 4-5 years they have had their share and a lot of media hype behind them. I still say Toyota and Honda are the most problem free cars out there. My 93 Corolla had 350k miles on it when I traded it in on my Nissan, now there was a terrible car.

For sure . The early Toyotas ran forever but the body and some components were just terrible. I don't think they took into account the kind of climates they would be driven in. Seems weird that they wouldn't consider it and every 80's and 90's Toyota would pretty much rust out from around you here in the Midwest .

Same with Honda , Subaru, Mitsu,etc.

It's like the Japanese had never heard of salt.

Multiple recalls on the same vehicle, I would assume. See Chevy Corvette. My buddy's has been in for more recalls than oil changes.

Is it maybe that some of their models have had more than one recall?

Haha good call. we posted that at the same time

Back