#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

I've been looking at some general hotels in San Diego and I'm not finding any discount that are significant for our time out there. Also want to clear up at most I can get 1 or 2 rooms on any discount I can find, I won't be able to get rooms for everyone. Same for car, I can get 1 discount but not multiples.

We definitely need to wait and see what type of rate THP might be able to negotiate for us. And also get confirmation on where this is being held in the SD area. Plenty of time yet though, so no rush at all.

With flight times from the east coast I'm looking at flying out on Tuesday and I can go ahead a grab a rental. Depending on what size I get can pick a few at the airport on Wednesday for the Torrey trip.

Cool. I'll go ahead and get my flight booked and have that in the books and worry about hotel/car later.

It's looking doubtful that I'll be able to swing taking that Wednesday with work. Should know for sure soon though.

If Torrey South is played Wednesday and I can't make it, and everybody ends up on North Saturday, I am more than fine with the North.

Twilight round Wednesday is perfect - I can easily make that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrghh I want to make Wednesday work so bad! :banghead: Here's to hoping, I suppose.

Moving some stuff out of PM:

cpljohnst:
Google tells me that "True Temper Grafalloy" is at 9401 Waples St. #140, San Diego, CA 92121

There are several hotels nearby including:
Hyatt House
Courtyard by Marriott
Residence Inn
Holiday Inn Express
Country Inn and Suites.

Kinda want to stay at the Holiday Inn so I can say "I'm not a shaft maker, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night".

Latest count in the travel and extra rounds thread shows up to 4 with interest in Wednesday afternoon at Torrey.

Awkward silence:
Just for reference my ride is a two seater miata haha. I will be useless for giving rides. The hotel choice does not bother me either. Something close would be nice to not have to rush in the morning.

SkiBumGolfer:
I've very little preference regarding what hotel I stay at, as long as it's clean I'm good!

I'm definitely staying Wed night - Fri night, so I'll be down to share at least that much, and possibly Sat night depending on what works best for my departing flight. Same goes for cars - we'll just have to figure out who makes the most sense to share. Looking like there will likely be a group that gets in early for Torrey, and another group that comes in later on Saturday, so that division might make sense depending on when arrival times shake out. And awkward silence and Spivey will have their own rides, so only 5 of us will need to figure out rentals.

As for Wednesday at Torrey, I'm definitely still interested but it's gonna be tough to swing between my limited vacation time and my girlfriend being scared of staying home alone.

Has anybody booked their travel firm, or are we all waiting for more details from JB before locking things in?

I've booked my flight, but that's it. Arriving 10:15 AM Wednesday. Departing 10:25 AM Sunday. I'm going to wait on JB to confirm the Project X address before moving ahead with the hotel.

Last edited:
Updated first post with some of the above info.

I am booking hotel AFTER I hear from JB/MD about prices. Figure it will be easier to do that than guess on where everything will be located.
Picked up a new driver head and tip, cannot wait to start checking out the shafts prior to the event, and then making my own!

I am booking hotel AFTER I hear from JB/MD about prices. Figure it will be easier to do that than guess on where everything will be located.
Picked up a new driver head and tip, cannot wait to start checking out the shafts prior to the event, and then making my own!

Me as well, I'm just trying to figure out my flight situation. Really want to take Wed and play with you fellas, just unsure if I can get a pass to do it. If not though, I'm probably up for 36 on Saturday with chumphries and whoever else is interested.

Been away for a couple days but just wanted to add what my plans are...

I'll be leaving NY Wednesday evening around 7:30 EST. Have a Summer PD for school I have to go to. I should be arriving in SD around 11:00 PST. I'll probably be the last one arriving but it's the best I can do. I will definitely be staying until Sunday. I don't care if it's the North or South but I 100% want to play Torrey Pines on Saturday.

Been away for a couple days but just wanted to add what my plans are...

I'll be leaving NY Wednesday evening around 7:30 EST. Have a Summer PD for school I have to go to. I should be arriving in SD around 11:00 PST. I'll probably be the last one arriving but it's the best I can do. I will definitely be staying until Sunday. I don't care if it's the North or South but I 100% want to play Torrey Pines on Saturday.

No worries man, thanks for the update! No worries on getting there late.

If I can't make it in for a round Wednesday afternoon, as I said above I wouldn't mind doing 36 on Saturday, not sure if you'd be up for that or not. Maybe 1 round at Torrey and another somewhere else - I think Courtney suggested Coronado?

No worries man, thanks for the update! No worries on getting there late.

If I can't make it in for a round Wednesday afternoon, as I said above I wouldn't mind doing 36 on Saturday, not sure if you'd be up for that or not. Maybe 1 round at Torrey and another somewhere else - I think Courtney suggested Coronado?

That would be my goal. I'd say Torrey north at 8 and twilight at Coronado (or vice versa) so we can do lunch.

It doesn't have to be Coronado. I read some good things about it online but I'm open to any good course.

That would be my goal. I'd say Torrey north at 8 and twilight at Coronado (or vice versa) so we can do lunch.

It doesn't have to be Coronado. I read some good things about it online but I'm open to any good course.

That's going to be pretty hard to do for those two courses on a Saturday. Probably going to need to be Torrey pines and another course.

#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

That's going to be pretty hard to do for those two courses on a Saturday. Probably going to need to be Torrey pines and another course.

Sounds good to me me. I'm open to any suggestions for the best options for Saturday.

Sounds good to me me. I'm open to any suggestions for the best options for Saturday.

Ditto here! I just want to get the maximum test drive out of my new shaft :D

Ditto here! I just want to get the maximum test drive out of my new shaft :D

Looks like we're playing from the tips....here's to keeping it under 90 :)

Looks like we're playing from the tips....here's to keeping it under 90 :)

Haha let's not get too crazy! Wouldn't have time to play two rounds if we played Torrey South from the tips! :alien:

Haha let's not get too crazy! Wouldn't have time to play two rounds if we played Torrey South from the tips! :alien:
The tips might be bad, with a new driver. I cannot imagine how peeved one might be if, after a terrible drive, their driver takes a swim in the Pacific with a custom made, new shaft!!

The tips might be bad, with a new driver. I cannot imagine how peeved one might be if, after a terrible drive, their driver takes a swim in the Pacific with a custom made, new shaft!!

Yeah I sure hope nobody does that!

Don't worry, the tips isn't even in the conversation haha

Depending on the graphics flexibility we have, our main graphics guy at work said he'll help me do all the design stuff for me once we know the possible graphics dimensions we have to work with. :banana:

FYI gentlemen - playing Wednesday is not going to work for me. :beat-up: However, I managed to talk my girl into letting me stay till Sunday as a result, so not too bad! I'm gonna book my flights as soon as I see a price I like, and the plan is to get into San Diego around 7PM. I will post specifics once I get booked up though.

So therefore, I am 100% in for a 36-hole Saturday for whoever is interested. Torrey in the morning (one of em), and some other nearby course in the afternoon. If we play Torrey North, I'm up for a nice course in the afternoon, if we play South I might be looking to save some dough haha. Any San Diegans have suggestions? On Google Maps in the nearby area I'm seeing the following tracks:

The Grand
Miramar Memorial
Fairbanks Ranch Country Club
The Farms
Carmel Mountain Ranch
Lomas Santa Fe
Tecolote Canyon
Mission Bay

Sooooo...a few options haha. No idea on the quality/accessibility/price of them though.

I know I am in for a round on Wed afternoon.
I know I am staying thru Sunday.
I do not know if I will be playing two rounds Saturday, but I could probably get a Sat morning round in somewhere.
The gf will be meeting me in SD for the weekend, so I am gonna have to spend time with her, hopefully Sat afternoon and Sunday.

Edit: I have heard good things about Maderas GC in N. San Diego. Have no idea what the cost is, but I bet it is not cheap.

According to Google maps, Maderas is about a 35-40 minute drive from Torrey Pines. That's doable if we do 8:00-8:30 and then a 2:00 or after. I can't tell from Maderas's website, but it may only be open to the public for locals, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Welp turns out a lot of these are private, pricy, or executive length. See below:

The Grand $150 twilight rate, although it looks like only hotel guests can play it
Miramar Memorial On military land, may not be able to get on
Fairbanks Ranch Country Club Private
The Farms Private
Carmel Mountain Ranch Private
Lomas Santa Fe 9 hole, $25
Tecolote Canyon $25, Robert Trent Jones Sr. and Sam Snead design. Executive length par 58.
Mission Bay $36, also par 58. But you can play at night, it's fully lit!

I didn't realize the Carlsbad area was so close though, we could always shoot north a bit if we want better options.

According to Google maps, Maderas is about a 35-40 minute drive from Torrey Pines. That's doable if we do 8:00-8:30 and then a 2:00 or after. I can't tell from Maderas's website, but it may only be open to the public for locals, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Big $$ there though - weekend rate is $210! :beat-up:

Back