Golf's effect on mood

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
Golf has been my number 1 hobby for the past 6 years. I think about it a lot, read about technique/theories and practice/play at least one per week. Since I put so much effort in this sport, whenever I have a great round, I find that my mood stays really positive for several days after the round is over. It feels extremely fulfilling since this is such a tough sport.
I wonder if others feel that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for me. Golf leaves me satisfied the rest of the day but the next day my mind goes "why aren't you golfing?"

Good round or bad round my mood doesn't really change long term. I'll talk about the bad round that day with the guys I played with and one or two others to discuss the issues then I move on

Great mood when I start. Good mood no matter how I play. Great mood after knowing I got a few hours in.

always great mood to start. And when its over Im always a bit saddened because I always want to play again. If I played well I want to keep it going and if I played poorly I want to go again as well to straighten it out. Theres just never enough of it imo. That said, I don't get to play multiple days each week so maybe that has something to do with it.

Golf has been my number 1 hobby for the past 6 years. I think about it a lot, read about technique/theories and practice/play at least one per week. Since I put so much effort in this sport, whenever I have a great round, I find that my mood stays really positive for several days after the round is over. It feels extremely fulfilling since this is such a tough sport.

So how is your mood when you don't play well?
That is the key for me and it's been a real journey.

My game has a lasting affect on me for the remainder of the day. I always enjoy an outing as it takes my mind off most of my stressors.

I'm happy the day before thinking about it, while on the course, and after the round too. It's very very rare I would be in a bad mood during or after golf.

I am in a much better mood in general during golf season.

During the everlasting winter? I am a much different person due to not being able to golf. And I don't like it.

I am very competitive and demanding of myself and used to get really "down" and in a bad mood after a bad round. Now I just shrug them off. I just had to convince myself that:

- it is only a game
- there is always a next time
- my wife is right - a lot of people wish they could shoot as well as my bad scores.

When I play good golf it definitely picks me up the rest of the day and sometimes leaks over to the next. If I play poorly I don't think it ever negatively impacts my mood, I'm just happy to have been on the course. Golf is my happy place and it's always a good experience.

I try get a least two 9 hole rounds in on a week. I always feel better because of it. In the last couple years I've learned not to let the bad shots affect my mood and just try to enjoy being on the golf course. It does help for a day or so after, especially if I get an extra unexpected round in, makes me all chipper and annoying like.

My wife says "golf is your woosah" lol. It calms me down and puts me in a better mood regardless of how I play. I'm just happy to be on the course after a rough day of work

Trevor68-That's my life now-was gonna hit the range yesterday,found the course was open, walked on and joined another single-walked 18-real nice fella, despite our 20 year age difference our length was similar and had golf in common- while our respective wives had afternoon appts. Joined the wife for a nice supper. Gonna rest today and do it again tomorrow. Its a good golf life

I've been back at it for right at 12 months. I can definitely tell a difference in my mood, my contentment when I don't get out and swing the clubs. I don't think it it specific to golf, just getting outdoors for 3-4 hours and performing some sort of physical activity.

If I'm playing and not enjoying myself, it's a direct sign that I'm taking it more seriously than my ability should dictate. This is the only sport I've played for the duration of more than 90% of my life. A bad scoring day on the course is better than a no scoring day every day of the year.

This game is my sanctuary from my job (high pressure Sales), I always feel better after playing or practicing even if the round is less than stellar for one reason or another and playing with friends either local or THP folks is just such a nice way to interact with people that just enjoy this game and don't want or need anything except to hit a little white ball into a hole.

The whole process of buying clubs, trying shafts or grips is just very relaxing for me and since I started messing around and building clubs myself that is also a way to back away from the everyday stress and just do something I enjoy.

If I'm playing and not enjoying myself, it's a direct sign that I'm taking it more seriously than my ability should dictate. This is the only sport I've played for the duration of more than 90% of my life. A bad scoring day on the course is better than a no scoring day every day of the year.

Nailed it

Absolutely it affects the mood. No doubt about it.

Today is a good example....

40 on front.....drinking water and having a great time

46 on back as wind picked up and i began struggling with everything.....bought a beer and began cursing mother nature and the wind

38 on next nine....drank only one beer as i was focused and loving the way the wind was shaping my shots.

Man i love golf lol

It's golf season - I'm happier than an effing clam - just played a boatload of golf and I want to play more tomorrow!

I've seen a picture floating around here of a custom printed pro-v that said
"You're not good enough to get mad at a bad shot"

Best advice ever!

My entire attitude about life is better in golf season. Even after a bad round I'm feeling lifted. Sometimes I'll just stop at a course and putt or chip for a while and it totally releases daily stress. Hell, I even feel better when I drive past a course and think about playing.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

I've seen a picture floating around here of a custom printed pro-v that said
"You're not good enough to get mad at a bad shot"

Best advice ever!

So true and so hard to remember sometimes after a 3 putt lol

Back