Has Dicks shrunk golf

This:clapp:

The one in Augusta is OK….sort of a hassle to get to (part of the Augusta Mall….nightmare traffic patterns). Hard to demo clubs - seems like you had to show genuine interest in purchasing that day to swing in their sim.

On the other hand….the Hunting and Fishing areas are impressive. Follows the trend of 'catering to the public'. Plus, there are other retail outlets in town that beat the snot out of 'America's Golf Shop'

I agree that Dicks does something well. They have an impressive selection when it comes to other sports or hobbies. There golf selection has always been this way and has gotten worse over time. My buddy said they were going to charge him 20 bucks to demo clubs, if he bought a driver they would apply it to the purchase. That was in CT and about year ago.

I also know that some people don't have options because Dicks is the closest thing to them and the closest golf shop is over an hour away. I would just like for them to back up there claim of America's Golf Shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No this is across the street from Carolina Place Mall. The week before the Wells Fargo it was stocked full.GC is miles away. It is a huge golf area.

maybe with Golfsmith just down the road

I think so....Ive never had an erection of the course. :bulgy-eyes:

I believe when Dick's let their pro's go that some of the lines pulled their products from Dick's.

Seems like it to me. I noticed an increase in accessories (mostly shoes) with diminished club selection. Although the floor space is the same at the one I frequent, its now at least 1/2 golf shoes, clothes, and bags. Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade, Cobra and Nike were the only clubs available where you could actually complete a set if I remember right. B/C I'm a Cleveland homer I asked about Cleveland/Srixon products and they said they're not carrying them any longer except wedges :-( Even the rep said "I wish" when I asked.

They've especially cut back on better player clubs. I was in there the other day looking to demo some hybrids. The didn't have any 815s, Apex irons, or even XR Pros. I guess they just don't get enough of those types of customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local store still has the same amount of inventory and two simulator bays.
The still seem very busy as well.

But what I have noticed is they cut back on staffing. You used to get swarmed in there by salesman but now it's almost like a take a ticket deli counter as they will have 1-2 salesman.

I went a few weeks ago and had my 2 yr old with Me. All I wanted to do was have them order a shaft from Ping for me (I called them earlier for pricing) so they knew all about it. It took about 10 minutes to get the salesman's attention and another 10-15 min to go through the order process. With a 2 yr old a half hour is painful. At least they were thorough. The rep actually called Ping to verify availability, shipping time and pricing so there were no surprises. So that was part of the added time spent there.

As for better players clubs my store still stocks Titleist and Ping full lines and Mizzy irons.

When I met with Dicks a few years ago, corporate told me that the GM/dept managers have a pretty long leash on what their stores carry. They have certain items/lines, but it allows them to taylor the inventory to local preference.

Good point. I forgot about GS. Frankly I never have been in there when it was close to busy.
maybe with Golfsmith just down the road

As much as the game excites me that has never happened to me.I have hit a few stiff but that is another matter.
I think so....Ive never had an erection of the course. :bulgy-eyes:

Might depend on the market. There are about 4 within 15 minutes of my house and they all have different levels of inventory for different sections. The more "rural" location is geared more towards hunting and the outdoors, while the more "suburban/urban" stores are focused on golf, fitness and team sports. Plus, Dicks still has Golf Galaxy to really push their golf equipment.
This for sure. In my area, for a long time, Dicks was the only game in town. We don't have a Golfsmith, or Edwinn Watts here...and forever we didn't even have a Golf Galaxy. But then they decided to open a Golf Galaxy less than a mile from the Dicks in our biggest/busiest mall. From that point on, what's the point of having inventory in two places? I stopped at both last night. The Golf Galaxy seems to have all of the selection for clubs, while the Dicks in the mall seems to have a much bigger selection of clothes. Which, to me, makes sense.

My Dick's has a decent amount. They did drop Cleveland (BOOOOO) and most of the Adams stuff. But you still have the major players. I have 1 guy I deal with exclusivly. He's a good guy and very knowledgeable. Biggest downer is the amount of putters they carry. Small selection and very few left handed options.
The floor space is the same. They just lost some displays.

Mark Shuman

Our local one looks like an abandoned section. We were able to find a lady x hot driver on sale though, that was a plus over golf galaxy.

Dick's is a great place to go when you want to try out last year's stuff in person and then buy it on the spot.

Dave

Back