Would You Really Know? Part Deux

Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
RNG Started a thread:

So my question is... if you were blind folded would you really know what ball you are are playing?

That got me to thinking. If somebody secretly switched the logos on some of your stash of balls of comparable performance level, could you identify the impostors? For example, if someone gave you a dozen Titleist Pro V1x, but six of those "Titleists" were actually Callaway Chrome Softs, could you pick out the Callaways?

I think it is possible if you are sufficiently knowledgeable, in tune, or gifted.

True story #1: The head of GE Lighting was visiting another GE business, whose head was giving the Lighting President a tour of the display cases showing products of the hosting division, All was going well until the visitor suddenly stopped talking. The host asked, "Is something wrong?" The Lighting head took his host back three displays and said to his host, "Get that ****ing Sylvania light bulb the *** out of there." The host said he would but also silently questioned his guest's sanity. The next morning, two maintenance guys showed up at the President's desk holding a Sylvania bulb. The visitor was right. A bulb had burned out, and when the local hardware store had run out of GE bulbs, they bought a Sylvania, They thought a light bulb was a light bulb.

True story #2:

"Last summer, the floor of the Princeton gym was being resurfaced, so [Bill] Bradley had to put in several practice sessions at the Lawrenceville School. His first afternoon at Lawrenceville, he began by shooting fourteen-foot jump shots from the right side. He got off to a bad start, and he kept missing them. Six in a row hit the back rim of the basket and bounced out. He stopped, looking discomfited, and seemed to be making an adjustment in his mind. Then he went up for another jump shot from the same spot and hit it cleanly. Four more shots went in without a miss, and then he paused and said, “You want to know something? That basket is about an inch and a half low.” Some weeks later, I went back to Lawrenceville with a steel tape, borrowed a stepladder, and measured the height of the basket. It was nine feet ten and seven-eighths inches above the floor, or one and one-eighth inches too low."

I think if you gamed both balls separately for long enough to get a good feel for them, you may be able to tell the difference.

I think if you gamed both balls separately for long enough to get a good feel for them, you may be able to tell the difference.

I think if you played one long enough you'd be able to tell. I noticed some differences trying out a Chrome Soft X today. I didn't like it. The ball reacted differently on chips and putts, sometimes inconsistently. I did much better after going back to my Srixons. I don't think I'm particularly in tune or some kind of golf savant, so I assume most people would have the same experience after a year of using the same ball.

I doubt I could identify the imposters.

I don't think I could notice

I don't think I would be able to tell, maybe though.

I can't say for sure that I would, but I have tried different balls due to others saying how good that they are and each time end up returning to the Pro V line. I play forged irons due to the feel I get from them and when playing cast its just not the same. Pretty sure the difference in the ball would show up in feel off the irons, wedges and putter in just feel alone not to mention performance.

I could tell some of them by looking at the dimple pattern or the feel of the cover material and maybe by the sound off the putter. Performance is so good with all the premium balls I couldn't tell by hitting shots. I've long said that I could play any premium ball and be 100% happy but I don't see myself switching from the MTB anytime soon especially with a 12-14 month supply in the garage.

I absolutely could not tell the difference between tour balls while blindfolded.

Now the difference in "click" off the putter face between a tour ball and a non-tour ball is a different story.

I probably would be able to the difference between high end and low end balls and would be able to distinguish a pro-v vs srixon (color mainly) but I without a doubt can tell if a hoop is lower or higher than 10 feet!

If I can dunk it, it ain't 10 feet. Golf balls doubtful from a premium to premium comparison. Low to high, good chance is notice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I feel fairly certain I could distinguish among some balls. ProV1 vs Chromesoft, yea, I think I could tell the difference both in feel and flight. Srixon Z-star vs ProV1, that I might have a much tougher time with.

~Rock

I'm 100% certain I would not be able to tell.

Back