Dufner's Putter Drop - Big Deal or Not?

campilobaxter

Mustachioed Root Vegetable
Reaction score
Handicap
This has probably been discussed, but I didn't see it anywhere.

Dufner is catching a lot of flack for dropping his putter after at bad hole. Not throwing it, not damaging the putting surface. Just letting it drop as he walks away from the cup. Some in the media are overreacting, IMO.

Starting the final round with a one-shot lead, Dufner struggled. After missing a 7-foot par putt on the par-5 sixth hole – which he had eagled a day earlier – he tapped in the 2-foot bogey putt, dropped his putter onto the green and walked away, leaving caddie Kevin Baile to clean up the mess.
Twitter respondents called Dufner’s behavior disgusting.
I’d go further and say it’s despicable.
Golf is a game of honor and integrity. Dufner’s actions were the opposite of those characteristics.

http://www.morningread.com/features/a17b2a89-9e88-4906-8e0d-d570a577c0ea

Is this really a bid deal? Some poor sportsmanship, probably, but "disgusting" or "despicable" behavior? Maybe I'm off, but this seems like no big deal to me.

I think it is childish. The caddy didn't hit the shots so why make him scurry over to pick up your putter? As with almost anything on the internet now, it is being blown out of proportion.

Douchey move.

Douchey move.

That's my take too. For a guy that reportedly has a great personality off the course, Dufner seems pretty damn unlikable on it.

If memory serves his caddie had the flag and was walking to put it back in the cup. So the caddie had to bend over and pick it up versus their normal hand off or drop on top of the bag that they then have to pick both up. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the big deal here.

Its no big deal to me. Jason Day did the same thing at the Masters only he dropped it near his bag. Didnt hand it to the caddie, he just flopped it on the ground near his bag.

Maybe not the right thing to do, but certainly not an egregious action. People need to lighten the F up.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Not a fan of the move, but don't see it as a big deal at all.

I've got 99 problems but Dufner dropping his putter ain't one.

this is remarkably not a big deal in any way shape or form. I have no issues with this.

Kind of a stereotypical Dufner move? Yes.
Big deal? No.
Blown out of proportion? Yes.
Something kids should model after? No.

Something kids should model after? No.

Now, hypothetical, what if Duffner's caddy said to him, "if something doesn't go right, leave everything behind and get to the next hole. Clear your head. I will pick up and meet you on the tee box."

It would be interesting to compare tweets and media comments after Rory threw his iron in the water at Doral. I wonder how many "dispicables" and "disgustings" there were after that.

Disgusting and despicable? Give me a break. Bit douchey, sure, but to use "disgusting" or "despicable" is way over dramatic. his caddie was walking back to the hole anyway.

not excusing the action, I just think the reaction to it is insane.

Now, hypothetical, what if Duffner's caddy said to him, "if something doesn't go right, leave everything behind and get to the next hole. Clear your head. I will pick up and meet you on the tee box."
I have two reactions to that, because I thought the same thing. A) his caddy is enabling his millennial attitude and he needs to be accountable. He was leading heading into the day. B) Duf daddy has had a rough go of it lately so that Superstroke 5.0 doesn't do much damage anyways. Maybe the caddie was just a bit late to the hole?

Like I said, overall, NOT a big deal. Even if there isn't more behind it, I still think that way.

Just the media being the media I have zero issues with him dropping his putter. He had bad hole, so does every golfer on the planet. I think we've all done something similar to this. I'll admit I'm guilty of throwing a wedge 5ft toward my bag after a chunk. I've seen PGA golfers do a whole lot worse on the course. It's just never shown cause there 7 over par.

Disgusting and despicable? Give me a break. Bit douchey, sure, but to use "disgusting" or "despicable" is way over dramatic. his caddie was walking back to the hole anyway.

not excusing the action, I just think the reaction to it is insane.

Totally agree. I do think it was douchey, but even that might just have been the perception that he was being petulant because he just made a bogey.

I have two reactions to that, because I thought the same thing. A) his caddy is enabling his millennial attitude and he needs to be accountable. He was leading heading into the day. B) Duf daddy has had a rough go of it lately so that Superstroke 5.0 doesn't do much damage anyways. Maybe the caddie was just a bit late to the hole?

Like I said, overall, NOT a big deal. Even if there isn't more behind it, I still think that way.

Yeah, I don't think this is a "millennial attitude" thing. It's a professional athlete thing. This is golf is a mental sport and maybe Dufner needed a mental break for just a moment. Sure, it wouldn't have been a huge issue to hand the putter to his caddie, but we don't know what agreement or gameplan they had.

Definitely douchey and maybe disrespectful to his caddie.

Hopefully this isn't the new "dufnering" LOL.

Follow up question for those who think it's despicable, how does this compare to throwing a club in a pond or breaking a club? Those actions seem worse to me.

Yeah, I don't think this is a "millennial attitude" thing. It's a professional athlete thing. This is golf is a mental sport and maybe Dufner needed a mental break for just a moment. Sure, it wouldn't have been a huge issue to hand the putter to his caddie, but we don't know what agreement or gameplan they had.
That was kind of a joke, but I agree totally. Not a concern of ours, might be the Caddies way of "picking him up", who knows.

If Bubba would have done this. He would have been flamed to death

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Despicable is Reed using homophobic slurs on live television this is just a little douchey.

Our society is so fragile now it's comical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was kind of a joke, but I agree totally. Not a concern of ours, might be the Caddies way of "picking him up", who knows.

Stop making jokes. This is serious business. A frumpy late bloomer quasi flash in the pan professional golfer did something that we can be critical of! THIS IS NO TIME FOR BREVITY!

I think I'm going to use that one next time I drain one from 30 feet. The golf version of a mic drop.

Sounds good but unless you have a caddie the walk of shame to go back and pick it up would be tough....:banghead:

I think I'm going to use that one next time I drain one from 30 feet. The golf version of a mic drop.

eh, although douchey, i think it shows disrespect to the caddie. like i can toss my sh&T anywhere and you'll have to get it type of attitude. /dufnering

I don't have a caddie. Maybe someone from NorCal will pick it up for me.

Back