PING G30 Irons Review Thread

My playing partner has these in the bag and I plan on hitting a few shots with them side by side with the S55. More or less just for the hell of it and nothing scientific but it will be fun.

Beat, high and straight sounds like fun I think you should pull the trigger.

So I was at the range today. Once again I was struggling to hit my TM CBs with any consistency. High right and short 6 iron going About 135.

This particular range has a fully stocked shop and fitting cart from just about every company. I decided to give the G30 a go. They put together a 7 iron in my specs, I plunked down my License and back out to my bucket.

I took a swing and couldn't believe the feel, the sound and the flight. Dead straight right at the 150 marker. I took several more swings and time after time, the same results.

Just to to try and throw myself off track. I picked a 170 yard target way off to the left changed my set up and boom, the same arrow straight flight with the ball falling about 15 yards short according to my range finder after the shot.

I texted s buddy oh here who saw me play last weekend and struggle mightily with my irons. I told him it felt really good to be hitting golf shots again.

These just jumped straight to the top of the ponder list.

two clubs is huge...then add straight and that becomes money. I support the purchase of these

Went full bag G30 and couldnt be more satisfied.

Continuing to hit these clubs great. Hit two flagsticks last week. Consistently low 40/80's so far this season. Had a lip out for a 39 last week. Haven't seen that number since my flat-belly dark-hair days.
Having a lot of fun this year golfing.

Continuing to hit these clubs great. Hit two flagsticks last week. Consistently low 40/80's so far this season. Had a lip out for a 39 last week. Haven't seen that number since my flat-belly dark-hair days.
Having a lot of fun this year golfing.
I'm demoing them and the D200 tomorrow night. The toughest part may be picking just one set.

The forgiveness in these things is real. This shot ended up on the green - PW.

202d0bc7b6957dad79573f2c14bb5d0d.jpg

They really are so good. A week ago today I thought that I would be ordering a set this week. Then just to be fair and sure I demoed them against the D200 and while they were both very good. I went D200.

Thst said I really did enjoy hitting the G30's

Last edited:
Ten really are so good. A week ago today I thought that this would be ordering a set this week. Then just to be for and sure I demoed them against the D200 and while they were both very good. I went D200.

Thst said I really did enjoy hitting the G30's

I loved the D200 as well. You can't really go wrong with either. The G series was a club I played with for a while, so it looks "right" behind the ball to me - I also tend to do better with a little bit heavier shaft, and the Pings come stock with 110g shafts. Definitely a more classic look on the D200 - one of the best looking clubs in the category.

Currently hitting my 714 AP2's and looking to make the switch to these. PING is at my course today and I will definitely be getting fit. Any suggestions or things I should look for while getting fit that you guys could suggest?

Currently hitting my 714 AP2's and looking to make the switch to these. PING is at my course today and I will definitely be getting fit. Any suggestions or things I should look for while getting fit that you guys could suggest?

Not sure what to recommend, but I got mine with TT XP95 shafts. Gives me a higher trajectory. Let us know how it goes.

You sure you want to do this? Last time you went GI it took about a week before you went to the AP2's.

I've had a lot of swing changes this year that just aren't fitting my current setup. I hit the G30's on the range yesterday at the Demo and they were flush. The only club I can compare them to is the AP1's, which is the only other club I'm debating as of right now. Every hit had a nice ball flight with a slight baby draw, which is what I want. The miss hits off the toe/heel still went about 80% of my usual distance which was refreshing. The heavier head was also a lot more natural feeling.

I hit my friend's AP1's and the demo G30's side by side and still can't come to a conclusion...

I've had a lot of swing changes this year that just aren't fitting my current setup. I hit the G30's on the range yesterday at the Demo and they were flush. The only club I can compare them to is the AP1's, which is the only other club I'm debating as of right now. Every hit had a nice ball flight with a slight baby draw, which is what I want. The miss hits off the toe/heel still went about 80% of my usual distance which was refreshing. The heavier head was also a lot more natural feeling.

I hit my friend's AP1's and the demo G30's side by side and still can't come to a conclusion...

I hear PING is coming out with 2 new irons at the end of July. Apparently called I-E and GMAX. Sounds like a new I series and a max forgiveness G series. You might want to wait before pulling the trigger on the AP1's or G30's.

I hear PING is coming out with 2 new irons at the end of July. Apparently called I-E and GMAX. Sounds like a new I series and a max forgiveness G series. You might want to wait before pulling the trigger on the AP1's or G30's.

Both the Karstens and i25s were moved to the "in stock only" shelf at the store near me, so it wouldn't surprise me. I think the G30 is not going anywhere though - it's a great iron.

Just got fit for Ping G30 irons! Stock CFS stiff shafts and the blue dot version, slightly upright. Hit them with my pro this afternoon and was dropping darts with them! Amazing clubs, can't wait till they come in! :D

Just got fit for Ping G30 irons! Stock CFS stiff shafts and the blue dot version, slightly upright. Hit them with my pro this afternoon and was dropping darts with them! Amazing clubs, can't wait till they come in! :D

Nice!!

You're going to love them.
I got mine in February and have had more fun the golf course this year than I can believe.
True game changers for me, hope they treat you as well.

The irons came in Friday night last week! Unfortunately living in southern Ontario has prevented me from even picking these up with all the rain we had dumped on us. Hoping to get out today and give these babies a swing! :)

I only ordered 4-PW, has anyone here used the UW, SW and LW? I'm currently gaming a set of SM5's 52, 56 and 60 degrees. What's worrying me is the 7 degree difference between my PW and gap wedge... Also, I wouldn't mind gaming a more forgiving wedge. Any suggestions.

The irons came in Friday night last week! Unfortunately living in southern Ontario has prevented me from even picking these up with all the rain we had dumped on us. Hoping to get out today and give these babies a swing! :)

I only ordered 4-PW, has anyone here used the UW, SW and LW? I'm currently gaming a set of SM5's 52, 56 and 60 degrees. What's worrying me is the 7 degree difference between my PW and gap wedge... Also, I wouldn't mind gaming a more forgiving wedge. Any suggestions.

I'm had the 4-UW for the last 8 months or so, and then have a 55 and 59 degree wedge. I love the UW around the greens, or a nice full swing from 115-120 out.

I'm had the 4-UW for the last 8 months or so, and then have a 55 and 59 degree wedge. I love the UW around the greens, or a nice full swing from 115-120 out.

115-120 is pretty much my exact distance with my current 52 Vokey, so a 50 degree UW would be a solid 120 consistently for me which is nice. I'm just wondering if I'll be sacrificing touch around the greens with the SW and LW opposed to my current vokeys.

My 56.10 M grind I pretty much play out of the rough anything inside 105 yards that doesn't need to land right at the pin. I find it cuts through the rough better than my L or F grind wedges. Also it's used for bump and runs inside 75 yards with proper pin placement and hard conditions. It's always my club in the sand long or short, checks very well on the greens when I open my face and get under it. Definitely my most versatile wedge, I hope the G30 SW will be able to give me the same flexibility.

My 60.04 L grind is used mostly on the short stuff inside 90 yards if I want to plop it right by the hole if the placement is behind a bunker or water. Stopped using it so much in the rough besides when I'm right next to the green and need to play a flop shot. I'm pretty good with opening up the face and getting it 10-15 ft. in the air under a 10 yard shot. I also use it close to the green if I want the ball to get up quick and check quick. Don't want to lose that capability with a G30 LW.

My 52.08 F grind is mostly for bump and runs inside 30 yards when I have a straight shot at the pin. A full 115-120 yard shot off the short stuff and this club is always pin high. I also use it sometimes when I'm in the trees and need to make the discipline punch out to the fairway by punching it in the back of my stance to keep it low. I like it opposed to a 8 or 7 iron punch so I don't have to worry about flushing it and having it go past the fairway.

Given this info, should I be staying with something similar to an SM5? Or would I be safe with the G30 wedges?

I personally would never use a wedge that's part of an iron set for anything other than a full shot. I play the PING G30 right up to the LW wedge. That's my 80 yard full shot. As far as I'm concerned they may as well be named 10, 11, 12 & 13. Everything inside of that is the PING Eye2 L Wedge that I can do anything with.

115-120 is pretty much my exact distance with my current 52 Vokey, so a 50 degree UW would be a solid 120 consistently for me which is nice. I'm just wondering if I'll be sacrificing touch around the greens with the SW and LW opposed to my current vokeys.

My 56.10 M grind I pretty much play out of the rough anything inside 105 yards that doesn't need to land right at the pin. I find it cuts through the rough better than my L or F grind wedges. Also it's used for bump and runs inside 75 yards with proper pin placement and hard conditions. It's always my club in the sand long or short, checks very well on the greens when I open my face and get under it. Definitely my most versatile wedge, I hope the G30 SW will be able to give me the same flexibility.

My 60.04 L grind is used mostly on the short stuff inside 90 yards if I want to plop it right by the hole if the placement is behind a bunker or water. Stopped using it so much in the rough besides when I'm right next to the green and need to play a flop shot. I'm pretty good with opening up the face and getting it 10-15 ft. in the air under a 10 yard shot. I also use it close to the green if I want the ball to get up quick and check quick. Don't want to lose that capability with a G30 LW.

My 52.08 F grind is mostly for bump and runs inside 30 yards when I have a straight shot at the pin. A full 115-120 yard shot off the short stuff and this club is always pin high. I also use it sometimes when I'm in the trees and need to make the discipline punch out to the fairway by punching it in the back of my stance to keep it low. I like it opposed to a 8 or 7 iron punch so I don't have to worry about flushing it and having it go past the fairway.

Given this info, should I be staying with something similar to an SM5? Or would I be safe with the G30 wedges?

I personally would (and have) leave at least one wedge at the top with perhaps a tighter leading edge and lower bounce. There are certain lies i just don't feel comfortable hitting my UW with. But I'd definitely recommend the UW.

Showed up at my course to FINALLY pick these up. Unfortunately the range was closed, so I hit the course with zero practice... Tied the best round of my life, 74. Hit 15 greens in regulation, I've never hit the ball so straight in my entire life. I cannot brag enough about these clubs. Best. Purchase. Ever.

Showed up at my course to FINALLY pick these up. Unfortunately the range was closed, so I hit the course with zero practice... Tied the best round of my life, 74. Hit 15 greens in regulation, I've never hit the ball so straight in my entire life. I cannot brag enough about these clubs. Best. Purchase. Ever.

Wow!! That's awesome!

Considering getting something with a little more forgiveness so I went to hit these today. I hit both the g25 and g30 and I was pretty disappointed in the g30s which surprised me. I was hitting the g25 really well though. I think I need to go back and hit them head to head with my i20s though.

Back