Lamkin UTx - issue slipping in hand - Srixon Red edition.

clarkgriswold

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
I have the Srixon z545 Irons and 3 Cleveland RTX wedges that I bought as a set (which I love), all have the Red Lamkin UTx grips they offered with them. I don't get out that much, it's maybe 12 complete 18hole rounds max if I add up most of the 9 hole rounds I have played in the last 2 years. Ever since I got them, they have seemed super slick, I assumed that they just needed to break in, but they just seem to be getting worse. A buddy of mine also bought the same irons last year with the same red grips, and had asked me if I had issues with the grips slipping and was thinking of just replacing them all.

From what I have read, people seem to love the UTx grip for the most part. Could this possibly be just the Srixon specific version that is the issue, anyone experiencing the same thing? Grips still look to be in excellent shape, and I have also cleaned them as reccomended. Flip side, I have the Golf pride MCC on all my woods and have zero issues. I hate to drop the $$ on new grips when these are still in excellent shape. Any thoughts? Maybe some fine sandpaper or something to roughen them up a bit?

I found them to be pretty good when I first got them but in less than a year they seem slick and dry. I'll be going back to a mukti compound grip.

Try some hot water, dish soap, and a maroon Scotchbrite to freshen them up. If that doesn't work, it's time for new grips. All grips age at about the same rate whether you're using them or not. I've never been able to go a full golf season without replacing mine.

soap and water? gripes?

they last about a year for me. weekly trips to range, about 30 rounds a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea have cleaned them soap and water. just seemed to never have felt right.

use a wire brush to scrub away some of the rubber and get more of the cord out

Could also be UV exposure. Some rubber compounds are less UV resistant than others. There was a grip years ago that would go slick as ice quickly from UV exposure from leaning your clubs against that bag at the range like I do.

(They don't make that one anymore)

Could also be UV exposure. Some rubber compounds are less UV resistant than others. There was a grip years ago that would go slick as ice quickly from UV exposure from leaning your clubs against that bag at the range like I do.

(They don't make that one anymore)

You have interaction with basically every grip on the market, do you have some grips you've noticed wear slower or faster than others?

Surprised by this. I bought the same irons with same grips brand new late in 2014 and played them for about 2.25 years (well over 200 rounds) and never once thought I needed to change the grips. In fact, I liked these grips so much that I bought extras from a fellow THPer and will put them on my new irons when the stock NDMC grip wear out in about a year. I like the size of these (.60 core) better than the ones that are ordered directly from Lamkin that have a .58 core.

Always cleaned them with Gripes once a month.

soap and water? gripes?

they last about a year for me. weekly trips to range, about 30 rounds a year.

agree with my friend here

You have interaction with basically every grip on the market, do you have some grips you've noticed wear slower or faster than others?

To be honest I don't mess around with my grips too much, mainly for two reasons. Usually when I build clubs I am using new shaft models as well and I don't want to mess with two variables at once, the other is, I hate regripping clubs so if I put on a set of grips to test out and don't like them I don't want to regrip them.

I have a new set of iron heads I put some prototype shafts in and used a new grip, a taperless style. Everything is out on the toe, is it the shaft drooping more, is the it the grip? I don't know and having to change the grips annoys me so much they have been leaning against my bookshelf for three weeks waiting to be changed. And at this rate it looks like they'll get to four weeks.

#golfengineerproblems

To be honest I don't mess around with my grips too much, mainly for two reasons. Usually when I build clubs I am using new shaft models as well and I don't want to mess with two variables at once, the other is, I hate regripping clubs so if I put on a set of grips to test out and don't like them I don't want to regrip them.

I have a new set of iron heads I put some prototype shafts in and used a new grip, a taperless style. Everything is out on the toe, is it the shaft drooping more, is the it the grip? I don't know and having to change the grips annoys me so much they have been leaning against my bookshelf for three weeks waiting to be changed. And at this rate it looks like they'll get to four weeks.

#golfengineerproblems

I regrip my own clubs you can send them for me to test i mean regrip

That's actually great insight with the two variables though

I just put the UTx grips on all my clubs except the putter. I love the distressed red color too. Anyway, these grips are awesome so far. Try cleaning them with gripes or soap and water. Tim

My suggestion would be a package of Gripes and some elbow grease. I have had my utx grips on my clubs since December 2014; and last summer I scrubbed them with Gripes and I was shocked at how much life (soft and sticky) was brought back into them.

That doesn't work? Time to swap them out.

#golfengineerproblems

Makes total sense, might as well remove one element

I haven't noticed my grips getting slick on these wedges at all, same grip. I clean mine about once a month.

Thanks for all the feedback, going to give it another pass with hot soapy water and a harder bristle scrub brush this weekend and see what happens.

Spent a good hour scrubbing with hot soapy water and a nylon frogger brush, definitely feel a bit better, will put them to the test on Wednesday

I've thought the same thing about the acid green UTx that comes with some Cally clubs. I will pick brand new wedges up in the store and the green utx feels hard and slick already. I've thought about buying these cause I love the color but worried about how they feel.

After a couple weeks post cleaning, still feel better, but it's clear this is not the grip for me. I'll probably go back to MCCs new decades next season

Sorry to hear that,

I have this grip on two of my clubs and played in the pouring rain last weekend and of all the issues that I had slick grips weren't one of them

I had a similar problem, but scuffed them up with a wire brush and used the Gripes and they are better than new. Played in some really wet conditions last weekend and didn't feel like they slipped once. Felt as good as the NDMC's I have on my irons.

I use something called Clean & Tacky, others use soap and water, I've heard of using Miracle 409 - whatever your solution, I use a nylon dish brush to scrub the grips, rinse and dry.

Sorry to hear that,

I have this grip on two of my clubs and played in the pouring rain last weekend and of all the issues that I had slick grips weren't one of them

i was on the range with a web.com guy last year who just discovered these grips. he was in love. he dipped the grip in a bucket of water, wiped it off and handed it to me. it felt brand new. i agree that i've never had the issues that op has had. i wonder if he got a bad batch, or maybe they're just not for him

i was on the range with a web.com guy last year who just discovered these grips. he was in love. he dipped the grip in a bucket of water, wiped it off and handed it to me. it felt brand new. i agree that i've never had the issues that op has had. i wonder if he got a bad batch, or maybe they're just not for him

To your point they are the beat grips I've gamed in wet weather period and on the flip side i prefer them to the Z5s but those are growing on me

I'm thinking bad batch -

OP did you reach out to Lamkin? Maybe they can swap them out for you?

Back