Why did I wait so long to get a set of blades?

mizune

Reaction score
Handicap
Probably because I never took my game serious and my swing suck :D.

But I am glad I picked up a mint set of MP67s.

The MP5'S are right up there Brother. Improved my swing, game, and score.

The pure pleasure of compressing a golf ball with a mizuno blade is why I play golf. Not to mention the lower scores and incredible ball flight.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Including First Place
f0ed83b1f55af53de17e30c6e5c4d9b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks,

Congrats Johan nice.

I have always wanted a set of blades, but I settled for some cavity back Pings. About a year ago I picked up a MP32 P iron and married it to my hands. What I learned was that the feel of the 32 was different than many irons before. What the 32 taught me was find the sweet spot and you get a nice reward. It motivated and challenged me to improve my ball striking. This year I went hunting for a full set of 32s but found a set of 33s and 67s. I decided to go with the 67s because it appears the 67s was the results of combining 32+33.

You see these clubs give me this thing call feel. I didn't feel the game with the irons before until I started hitting Mizuno irons. And you see to me feel and feedback is what I need to improve my game.

My personal experience, get a swing coach or establish a solid swing first, then go for some blades and learn how to strike a ball pure. You can always go back to cavity and muscle backs once you establish the sweet zone.

Last edited:
I have a saying about blades...

Your good days are never as good as your bad days are bad.

Im glad it works for you guys, but I wouldnt recommend blades to anyone.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Been playing blades for the past 8 years. I personally don't see much difference in terms of ease of ball striking to other types of irons but yes perhaps if you are not a low handicapper then try other irons.
They certainly are beautiful though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to have my Porsche Design PD-901 blades back. Or my Muiras. Or my Hogans. Or my Mizunos.

Was so tempted to buy these when I saw them in the store;
441e33865f30a4f816ca7f696e5060bf.jpg

But held back. My Titleist's are still good;
fe08c45d0bdab31ba759b8d7ab0d97ef.jpg

I have a saying about blades...

Im glad it works for you guys, but I wouldnt recommend blades to anyone.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

man that's a freaking perfect quote!

Those Bridgestone are beautiful!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I love the looks of blades, but they are out of my league. When I'm playing well I fare fine, but on a bad day I'll take some forgiveness. I see no need to go to blades when you can get solid forgiveness from even players CB designs and have very nearly all the feel of a blade, but with some help.

But, clearly it's working for you guys so have at it. They are certainly gorgeous!

What is, things I will never say for $1000 Alex?

Glad they are working out for you but WAY above my skill level.

Surpised to hear that a high handicapper is using blades successfully. Not that I am speaking from experience, as I have never tried them - but I undertood that their lack of forgiveness meant that they were only really for the better player. Still, as others have said, if they work for you ...

Several years ago, whe. I returned to the game after a decade's-long hiatus, I picked up a set of MX 23's as an upgrade to the MacGregor Nicklaus Golden Bears of my youth. Played those for six or seven years, then decided to switch to Titleist blades, for the reason the OP mentioned--to teach me to find the sweet spot. Played those for 4 years, took them in for their annual regrip, and on a whim put the Mizunos in play for a day.

The Mizunos are still in the bag, and I'm wondering why I wasted those four years. I don't keep a 'cap, but when I did it was low-mid single, so it's not like I couldn't hit the Titleist. The Mizunos just perform better, and that little bit of extra forgiveness is nice

Enjoy the good shots and learn from the bad ones.

What I'm trying to do now is train with blades, play with cavity.

I always struggle with the line of thinking. There are too many modern irons that can shape and control shots just as well as blades.

There is a reason most PGA Tour players play some sort of cavity back iron, including 6 of the 10 players in the OWGR.

The feeling of a purely struck iron shot with a blade is like no other

I always struggle with the line of thinking. There are too many modern irons that can shape and control shots just as well as blades.

There is a reason most PGA Tour players play some sort of cavity back iron, including 6 of the 10 players in the OWGR.

The fact is there's something to this. Sure a lot of us could play blades and still get around the course just fine, and even more of us could rock some sort of a combo set with blades in the short irons (like I want to - lol) but when the best players in the world who feed their families with their golf scores choose to play something with a little more help it says something IMO.

The fact is there's something to this. Sure a lot of us could play blades and still get around the course just fine, and even more of us could rock some sort of a combo set with blades in the short irons (like I want to - lol) but when the best players in the world who feed their families with their golf scores choose to play something with a little more help it says something IMO.

and when those guys "miss" it is far more similar to our quality strikes. which to me says even more about why blades make zero sense. BUT play what makes you happy. that's all that matters.

but my own hypocrisy isn't lost on me. if i get in the morgan cup i'll be choosing the king forged tour, which is quite honestly more than i can probably handle. but i am not interested in a bigger profile. so why do i struggle with people wanting to blades instead of embracing forgiveness, when i'm so close to making the same decision about my own equipment? do as i say, not as i do, amirite?!

I love the look and feel of blades, but hitting a 9 iron 140-150 yards again is fun.

The wait is over.

Mizuno MP-20's are waiting for you to call.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I no longer play them, but that wasn’t my experience. The only changes to my scores were small, consistent improvements that came from playing/practicing (not the clubs). I switched because I switched clubs too much...

I felt like they were just as easy to hit. The “forgiveness“ of ball speed retention usually just means my mis hits go offline further because the ball is moving faster.

There is also a level of forgiveness in thinner soled clubs for players with a shallow swing. It’s not uncommon to see in fittings. Here’s a recent example of the smaller/thinner sole working better for someone:

Back