Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

Golf game aside, this is all something to be very proud of. Well done dudes.

Thanks Danny! Admittedly though I've got a second motivation...the flip side of my going to MB by myself was booking a cruise in November with the wife...and we both decided to try to get back into the same shape we were in 4 years ago when we went on our last cruise. I can't let her beat me on that :)

I love how this type of event not only can transform participants games but sometimes much more.

Where men become legends and legends create their Legacy.
The fitness, the diet, the work and the game all come together for the final push.
I'm not gonna quote salt and pepper

Weight Loss /fitness
Swing changes and progression
Handicap Index changes
Weight loss has been kicking butt, except a pound up from the holiday weekend. That'll be gone this week though.

Swing saw improvement, then falling back, and now improvement again. I had a period where I wasn't practicing like I should and learned the hard way just how quickly you can lose your gains.

Handicap I haven't seen a change because I haven't posted new scores in a while. If Texas would quit being a flood zone I could get out and play more rounds to see where I'm at. I'm hoping to see a steady decrease between now and July. I keep almost breaking that 100 mark but not quite getting there.

I'm curious, why did you stop practicing for a while? Did you shift towards more on course practice instead of just working on everything at the range?

Love seeing that everyone is making progress in multiple areas.

Weight loss/fitness: I have not specifically focused on this. My history shows I can cut 20+ pounds in 3 months, but then I gain it back over the next year. I'm not going that route, any more. I have focused more on simplifying some things in my life to reduce stress more than anything else. That change is taking time, but will set me up for more long term success in health/fitness than any diet/exercise program, right now. Having said that, with warmer/better weather, I anticipate being right around the 200 lb mark in July.

Swing changes/progression: I put in a good bit of work over the winter - more than I ever had in prior seasons, and that was before getting into The Legacy. That was more about me wanting to hit goals I had already set, and trying to solidify the changes I had started to learn during 2014. For the most part, those are in place, and just need to continue that path to consistency. There are a couple of items I need to visit a pro about for tweaks on the short game.

HC Index changes: By-and-large, that has worked out well for me. I had a goal of being single digit this season. Past years would have had me shooting mostly mid-90s in the early season due to a lengthy layoff. With my winter work, i came out scoring early. That leveled off during May, so time to get back to that. My trend shows me being at the cusp of single digits. If the weather cooperates, this coming weekend will be the test to see if I can keep it there for the next revision. Assuming that holds, I'm going to go for the begining of year stretch goal of sub-8. There are a couple of very specific items I'll be having a pro look at to help me with that, and that should pay dividends in MB and in my quest for the stretch goal.

Weight loss has been kicking butt, except a pound up from the holiday weekend. That'll be gone this week though.

Swing saw improvement, then falling back, and now improvement again. I had a period where I wasn't practicing like I should and learned the hard way just how quickly you can lose your gains.

Handicap I haven't seen a change because I haven't posted new scores in a while. If Texas would quit being a flood zone I could get out and play more rounds to see where I'm at. I'm hoping to see a steady decrease between now and July. I keep almost breaking that 100 mark but not quite getting there.

I appreciate the honesty; productivity is never an accident. It's always a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning and focused effort. Enough of the excuse and just own it.

I have a few questions for all the participants. At the very least I have asked my team to answer these questions in here. What changes have you seen in the following parts of your game/life?

Weight Loss /fitness
Handicap Index changes

Weight Loss has never been a big issue for me, BUT I did pack a few pounds on this winter. I have a modest goal of losing 10 pounds and I'm about 4 pounds in already. Losses mostly due to better eating habits.
As far as fitness, I am doing my "Fix your Body, Fix your Swing" by Joey D. Its mostly strength and flexibility exercises specific to golf. Its a simple, 3 times a week routine. But I still need to work on my cardio. I am starting to do some cycling to get my heart in better condition. I think that will be critical come July in that instense weather.

Swing changes were made all through the winter. Now its a matter of making those swing changes my permanent swing, even under duress. Tons of practice in my hitting bay and of course on course play. I feel best about this part of my preparation. What I really need to hone is my short game. Chipping and putting and really any swings under 100 yards are going to be a big part of my finishing push for the legacy.

Handicap index hasn't changed much. I have entered very few rounds yet this year but I think even when I catch up it will be staying pretty static. What has changed though is I'm not having nearly as many awful rounds. I have been playing much closer to my cap round to round. Again, I think this is encouraging heading into competition.

I'm curious, why did you stop practicing for a while? Did you shift towards more on course practice instead of just working on everything at the range?
I let personal crap get in the way.

some good stuff in here. weight loss, game improvement, all good stuff. Excited for you guys and its been fun following along so far, cant wait til this event comes around to follow the action.

Weight loss/Fitness - I stuck to my strength training, which is half 'core' workout. I'm adding running this Thursday. I also lost 9 lbs at one point, but have gained two back. I wasn't trying to lose weight, it just sort of happened.

Swing change/Progression - outside of fixing my jimmy legs thanks to Freddie, I haven't done much outside of just playing a lot. I've spent some time honing my pitching skills, which has certainly paid off. I'm starting a series of 5 lessons this Thursday, which is likely to be focused primarily on short game. I may do one or two full swing lessons. It will just depend on where things are at. I'm actually very comfortable with my swing right now.

HC Index - I don't have one....I'm just going to let that one sink in. I will have one at next revision. I am playing better than last year, for sure. And I think my initial handicap will be awfully close to my goal.

~Rock

Weight Loss /fitness: For me it's not about losing a specific amount of weight, it's about the way I feel. Since this started I've been either walking or jogging 4-5 days a week and doing pushups. I'm not breaking any speed records but my body feels much better. I can play 36 in a day now and I'm tired, but not the way I used to be at all.

Swing changes and progression: I've had several lessons, will have several more before the end of July. At this point I made steps to a more repeatable swing, and by the end of June I'm not looking to change anything, just hone it. I want to be there with the least amount of swing thoughts I can. My short game has gotten miles better than several months ago and is the best part of my game now.

Handicap Index changes: It has not changed dramatically, which is not unexpected for me. I have a lot of scores posted so I'll need several low ones to bump down a lot. I started at 12.9 and am currently at 11.3 trending towards single digits, which was my ultimate goal. I'm more concerned with how I'm playing that a HC number to be honest, though I post all my scores so I can't change what the number is.

To me the biggest challenge with this is time management. I know without a doubt guys are putting in more hours than me, no hiding the truth. I work 8-8 daily and physically do not have enough hours in a day to accomplish what I want to. It's all about making the best with what time I have, which is why I'm down to 6/6.5 hours sleep so I can walk, chip in the yard, play an extra 2 holes sundays, etc. I know I'm doing all I can, which is all I can ask of anyone.

Loving the posts gentlemen. Its a good way to hold each other accountable as you get closer to the event.

For me I am not worried about the weight/fitness aspect as much, I walk for six hours a day for my job so I stay in decent shape. I am working on flexibility because that has never been one of my strong suits. Nutritionwise I would love to cut out drinking pop which has been much tougher than I anticipated, it is a work in progress.

Swing changes and progression; I haven't gone for wholesale swing changes which I probably need in the long run but rather have focused on making my swing as repeatable as possible. Where I have done a majority of my work has been around the greens especially after seeing how Morgan Cup vets have stressed the importance of getting up and down at the two courses.

Handicap; This is the first year I have had an official handicap because I never had the need for one prior to this, I always kept track. I currently sit at a 14.4 index but that has been helped by a couple of rounds at the goat track my by house that I always score well at. I am going to limit my rounds there and get out to other courses so I can be prepared for any type of conditions that True Blue and Caledonia can throw at me. I hope to have a handicap that will travel with me when I get to Myrtle Beach.

I have a few questions for all the participants. At the very least I have asked my team to answer these questions in here. What changes have you seen in the following parts of your game/life?

Weight Loss /fitness
Handicap Index changes

Periodically as we are leading up to the event I will ask this question again to see what kind of progress people are making. People may think I am crazy for putting my teams business out there but they way I see it, once we get to Myrtle Beach there is no hiding. There is no time to wish you would have done more. Now is the time to do the work and if a little extra push is needed I would love for that to come from the forum because after all this is a THP event and I want the forum as involved as possible.
I'll tackle the questions above as listed.

Weight Loss/Fitness - This has been a tough one for me because I can't due any exercising that is high impact on the knees because I'm down to bone on bone on the interior of my right knee. I had it scoped in November & it helped to clean up some of the loose particles floating around in there, but I'm due for a partial knee replacement this coming winter.
With that said, I have focused on the diet & that has let me drop from 185 to 175. Weighing less also helps with the knee issue. I've also started walking with a push cart again when I golf instead of riding in the cart. I have to take a couple of Aleve to keep the swelling down, but the doc said that won't hurt me unless I over do it.

Swing Changes - I have made a couple of changes to my swing. In an effort to get rid of a negative angle of attack with the driver, I'm setting up with the club head about 6" - 9" behind the ball. It took a few rounds to get used to, but I'm comfortable with it now & it does seem to help decrease the angle of attack. I can still have issues with it when I allow my body to slide forward instead of turn around an axis. This usually shows up if I go after a ball harder than I should.

On my irons, I'm setting up with my feet closer together with the goal of more consistent impact. Between this & the D200 irons, I'm hitting more greens or ending up just barely off the green in most cases.

I also made a grip/set up change for chipping, but I had started working on that before getting selected to the Legacy. I'm to the point now where this is pretty close to totally hardwired & my chipping has improved a ton.

Handicap - When I got selected, I didn't have an official index because I hadn't kept up with it since moving last summer. Most rounds I played I would shoot between 84 - 88 so my index was about a 12 - 13 at best. As I stated after getting selected, my goal is to become a legit single digit index by the event.
I played a lot of golf in all kinds of conditions (around 30 rounds since March 1st) & my index is now established at 10.3. The next revision should put me in the high 9s or right at a 10. Where I'm seeing improvement is the consistency with which I'm shooting in the low 80s or even an occasional dip into the 79 range. Before I started getting serious with practice & play, I was more likely to have a blow up round than I am now.

Other - Practice, practice, practice. Whether its chipping off my porch into a bucket out in the yard during a rain storm or spending sleepless nights in the garage putting on the birdie ball green. My family thinks I'm nuts, but if I have an idle moment, I fill it with Legacy prep.

I let personal crap get in the way.

Well hopefully that's been resolved. In home putting is better than doing nothing. Line on balls, work on getting it going end over end. Costs nothing but time.

Well hopefully that's been resolved. In home putting is better than doing nothing. Line on balls, work on getting it going end over end. Costs nothing but time.

This is really good advice. Work on getting a putting routine down pat. There's nothing like standing over a putt to win or stay in a match, and being confident in knowing your ball will roll where you want it to goes a long way.

weightloss/fitness: I fell off of this for a bit and just started to get back on. I don't know what I'm down but my ratcheting belt goes 2 more clicks with ease and pants are a little looser so that's a sign I'm going in the right direction. Lots more work is needed in this area.

Swing changes: My full swing I've been working on just hitting it more consistent and I am seeing some improvements. Working with a simple alignment stick has made a very positive impact. My short game lessons start on Wed so that hasn't seen much work yet.

Handicap: My index has gone up since I started my season (first round on my home course was just a month ago). So after getting up to a 15.4 my index is now trending down a little since entering my last few rounds. I will keep it going that way.

This keeps creeping up closer and closer and the sense of urgency has risen greatly recently. Everyone will go through the journey differently while looking to get to the same place. I know I'm on the right path to be ready.

Weight Loss /fitness- Been doing my DDP yoga and also trying to walk at least 9 holes after work a few times a week. I have dropped about 5 lbs. I am not really shooting for a target number just want to be in shape to handle the grind that will happen at the Legacy

Swing changes and progression- Changing a lot made a posture,swing path and small grip change. The progress so far has been ok would like to see a bit more consistency from it but it will get there I dont have any doubt. Also doing some lessons with my instructor on how to think my way around a golf course not just grip it and rip it.

Handicap Index changes- It has stayed the same for the most part I would like to see it drop but more importantly I would like to be able to shoot it as consistently as possible. If I can play consistent golf and keep working the low scores and handicap will follow. To me it is just a number and means nothing if you cant be around it consistently.

Catching up on all the hard work you guys are doing!

You fellas are going to put on one hell of a show!

Weight Loss /fitness
Handicap Index changes

Periodically as we are leading up to the event I will ask this question again to see what kind of progress people are making. People may think I am crazy for putting my teams business out there but they way I see it, once we get to Myrtle Beach there is no hiding. There is no time to wish you would have done more. Now is the time to do the work and if a little extra push is needed I would love for that to come from the forum because after all this is a THP event and I want the forum as involved as possible.

Weight loss/ fitness- I have not seen a change in my weight but I have slimmed down a bit. Part of the issue with my weight is I love food, and the food I like is usually not good for a diet. As I type this, I am eating freshly baked chocolate cookies my wife made. Damn her! That being said, I spend a lot of time in the gym really focusing on my cardio and flexibility. I feel in very good shape to handle the humidity at MB.

Swing changes/progression - I have altered my swing a bit. One of the things I focused on was making my swing more stable, smooth and relaxed. I'm meeting with my swing instructor next week for a series of lessons. I'm hoping the swing will be more complete after meeting with him. He knows about Legacy and can't wait to get started.

Handicap- when I started I was a 19.2. I am currently trending to 18.2. While not a huge drop, I have had two very good rounds since I started on this journey. I shot a personal best 87 on one course early in this process and followed that with a new personal best 84 a couple of weeks ago. There have been some rough rounds between there but I have confidence that I can drop a little more before Legacy.

Weight Loss /fitness: For me there was never any weight loss involved for my prep. I stay between 170-175 just about all the time. The only weight I am trying to lose is for appearance reasons. As for fitness I have continued to stay with my normal workouts which are based on the HIIT principle. For instance today my workout was only about 15 minutes of actual exercise and I was gassed. I did jump rope for 5 minutes to warm up which included double unders (I am getting good at them). Then after the warm up I did tire flips the length of the football field, from back line of the endzone to back line. The tire was a tractor tire not sure of the weight but it is a big tire. It took me 5 sections to get the tire to the end. This took about 7 minutes. When I was done I ended with jump rope again. I still make sure to stretch and foam roll on a daily basis. On top of working out I still stay active with playing slowpitch on Mondays and Fridays and started back up with the paddle board/surf this week.

Swing changes and progression: I may be different here than others and that I have not gotten or will get any lessons before this. First off I have only taken lessons once and it was a four pack. I am lucky to have a friend who is an ex PGA teaching pro and he will give me advice when I ask for it. He had my swing the best it had been at the end of the summer/fall. I am trying to find that swing again. I have been taking a lot of swings during my planing period at work. I am able to hit anything from the 0-160 yard range depending on where I am aiming (I hit the balls on to the football field then pick them up). I would say that on a weekly basis I have been hitting about 100-125 balls M-F. As I am swinging I have been trying to produce the same swing more often. I think it will be more beneficial to have a consistent swing either good or bad but consistent. Also have been working hard on my chipping. It has gone from something I was 100% afarid of to something I have confidence in.

Handicap Index changes- My cap has not changed because I have not played a lot here recently. I have been busy with other work and chasing around a 14 month old. With working on my consistency when I am doing so my scores have dropped and show signs of really being good. The problem is that I have only had 2 rounds where I produced those swings. Others have been all over. For example one of the more challenging courses around me I have played 3 times since mid March, with 2 of those rounds coming 4 days apart. I shot 92, 82, 97. So you can see that I am all over the place right now.

For example one of the more challenging courses around me I have played 3 times since mid March, with 2 of those rounds coming 4 days apart. I shot 92, 82, 97. So you can see that I am all over the place right now.

which course?

Weight/Fitness
Ive been trying really hard to make some large strides here and quite honestly I'm disappointed with the results so far, but not my efforts. I lost 6-7 lbs pretty quick and have stayed stagnant from a weight perspective since. However, I can now run much further than before and I feel WAY better than I used to. I know how much work I'm putting in on top of a physical job and it's something I'm proud of.

Swing changes:
Woof. Where to start. I started seeing a teacher for the first time and right away he fixed my grip. Well, he tried to fix my grip. I've been using the strongest grip a human can use for the last few years and despite working with it, it was really holding me back. I think I've finally got it squared away after some rough patches trying to adapt.
Also, my swing has gone from waaay flat and low to much more upright and on-plane.
I still have my signature head dip on the takeaway and my teacher has minimized it and has me embracing it and not fighting what's left of it.
Regardless what it looks like my swing feels monumentally different than it used to, and I can hit a fade on command now...that used to be impossible.

Handicap:
When I got into Legacy I was in the middle of a massive slump. I couldn't get off the tee and whatever semblance of a game I had began with a putter and ended with a wedge. I think I was barely hanging on to a 9.6 cap and quickly shot up to 10.5.
I had told my Captain that my goal was to be a traveling 8.5 in Myrtle and I'm now at a 8.2....I still have a ton of work to do to keep this cap and even improve on it.

Curtis, from what you've been posting lately in the "What did you shoot today" thread you've flat out got it going. Your scores show you've been putting in the work. So cool to see this event transform your swing and game. I've got no doubt you'll be at your best in Myrtle.

Back