2Ball center shaft

CajunMan

Reaction score
Handicap
10.9 USGA
Anyone have any experience with the Odyssey 2 ball white hot center shaft putter? I putt SBST and was wanting to try a 2 ball. What was the original 2 ball? Thanks, Tim

The Original two ball, from waaaay back when was a double bend heel shaft, if I'm not remembering incorrectly.

I've seen a couple flavors of two balls, and the only one I remember that was center shafted looks kind of insane, the shaft is at the very back of the head, and bends forward over the front of it, then up. As I think about it though, I feel like I've seen a center shafted two ball, but I can't place it.

Anyone have any experience with the Odyssey 2 ball white hot center shaft putter? I putt SBST and was wanting to try a 2 ball. What was the original 2 ball? Thanks, Tim

I am also a SBST putter, and I had my first reel success putting beginning ten years ago with a center shafted Ping CRAZ-E that was a 2-Ball design. Last year, I fortunate enough to win a Cleveland TFI 2135 putter here, and while it did not work for me, the experience taught me a lot about my putting stroke. Some or all of these may apply in your case.

The TFI 2135 alignment is ingenious and effective, but I could not start the ball on my target path with any consistency. It was heel shafted and not face balanced. It was the putter that caused me to post a thread last summer saying, "I think I need a center-shafted putter." It turned out I did not - I needed a face balanced putter with an alignment aid I could trust. That may or may not mean center shafted.

SBST benefits from a face balanced putter. I personally have not had good results with any putter that was not face balanced, and that's going into a trial not knowing whether the putter was face balanced or not. On the other hand, I have putted like crap with some center shafted putters. So something else is at work.

Forget for a moment that we may read greens as well as Ray Charles could. To be effective, a putter must be able to start the ball along your intended path at your intended speed. That is a function of both alignment aid and any impact the putter configuration has on your stroke. Those things translate into your feeling of confidence standing over the ball.

The alignment mechanism makes a big difference in my results. The two-ball gives me a nice long alignment line. Then something like SeeMore's RST alignment gives great results without a massive alignment line, once you get accustomed to it. Aligning the SeeMore is not easier or harder than a 2-ball setup - just different.

So right now, I am pitting two putters against each other for the spot in my bag. Both seem to give really good results. Both are face balanced. One is a center shafted SeeMore. The other is a heel shafted 2-Ball. I have to put in some serious green times with both, but at this point the 2-Ball would go into my bag if I had to play a round in anger today or tomorrow,without further evaluation. The difference right now is my relative comfort with alignment. The more I've used the SeeMore, the better at it I'ver become. I was shocked to see how well I've rolled a heel shafted putter. So face balanced and an effective, confidence-inspiring alignment /look at address may be a better problem statement than "I need a center shafted putter."

You may also want to consider the TFI 2135 Mezzo. It's center shafted, the alignment aid just works, the price is right, and the face is like buttah. It is a much shorter alignment line, however.

Back