Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

technical question for the technically challenged (me)...would a shaft with low or mid launch aspects be more versatile with an adjustable head such as the Mini?

I don't think so, for most of u mere mortals shafts are vastly overthought. Plus, remember, the head can be adjusted up AND down.

Okay, wasn't sure since you said it would make a good driver replacement.

How much difference in carry are you seeing with driver and the 14*?

On good strikes with my driver I am consistent at about 270. With this I would imagine 250 would be the number. Both are +10 yards depending on if I get after it a bit.

On good strikes with my driver I am consistent at about 270. With this I would imagine 250 would be the number. Both are +10 yards depending on if I get after it a bit.

Very nice. If you happened to have the 12* it would be pretty darn close to that driver (minus ability to hit off deck I would surmise though).

Hoping to get out tomorrow if courses are open and see how the 12* matches against driver.

Very nice. If you happened to have the 12* it would be pretty darn close to that driver (minus ability to hit off deck I would surmise though).

Hoping to get out tomorrow if courses are open and see how the 12* matches against driver.

One could make a valid case to carry two of these to be honest. I could see rocking a 12* dialed to 11* and the 14* at 15* and be pretty accurate and dialed in.

I'd bet you end up settling in about 10 yards off the driver, its what I've seen through testing and seems to make sense given its a 1.5 and not a 1 or a 3. I'm like you, to me it just makes sense that the number fits right below the driver.

It is interesting on the forgiveness notion though, ball speed drops aren't measuring out any better than what I have typically seen in most drivers. Maybe I'm just different there and losing my mind.

It is interesting on the forgiveness notion though, ball speed drops aren't measuring out any better than what I have typically seen in most drivers. Maybe I'm just different there and losing my mind.

My miss isnt heel or toe. I still manage center shots more often then not its the delivery of the head to the ball that causes my miss which is normally a smother.

One could make a valid case to carry two of these to be honest. I could see rocking a 12* dialed to 11* and the 14* at 15* and be pretty accurate and dialed in.

Not gonna lie, if I'm blown away with the 12* then this isn't too far fetched.

My miss isnt heel or toe. I still manage center shots more often then not its the delivery of the head to the ball that causes my miss which is normally a smother.
This I agree with, retention center region vertically is solid, for those with lateral misses though I hope they aren't expecting better than driver retention.

This I agree with, retention center region vertically is solid, for those with lateral misses though I hope they aren't expecting better than driver retention.

Hoping....praying....same thing. We all know my miss isn't vertical. Haha

I should add though it makes sense what you see fupy since the xr driver is better laterally than vertically in my time with it.

Just caught up. Love that fupi and cookie have this bad boy in hand now. Sounds like everyone is having good luck with it so far depending on how they are choosing to use it. Look forward in hearing more from you guys that are using it full time.

Definitely need to give this one a run seeing that my 3w is currently being hit further than my driver. Need all the yards I can get

So those who have this, is the forgiveness and distance is big increase over your current 3w...knowing full well that this may have less loft?

So those who have this, is the forgiveness and distance is big increase over your current 3w...knowing full well that this may have less loft?

You have to think of it this way, because it has a larger face laterally and horizontally than a standard 3w, IMO from what I have seen it does retain ball-speeds better than my gamer 3w did/does, but its dept also lends to my miss (high) so there is more to play with there than a standard 3w.

I've talked on distance a good bit in here, it has show to be longer than every 2015 fairway I have reviewed/tested except for one, but it isn't as long as my driver. Naturally, YMMV, but I know Fupy is seeing similar.

Watch my buddy yesterday hitting this on flightscope and he was getting average of 235 carry with about 27 yds of roll. He had his set up 12* dialed to 14* with MT 7x. I didn't even try to hit it since he was saying it played stout and his SS is significantly higher than mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your miss is across the face, would it make more sense to get a 12 degree driver and shorten the shaft than the Mini with the same loft? You have more real estate on the face to make it more forgiving with the driver. May launch higher than Mini which could be a positive or negative depending on your swing.

I am very interested in this one, and keen to get some views on the loft. For me this will be a driver replacement, so is 12 the way to go? My thoughts are at 12 degrees I can go to 11 and up to 14, whereas a 14 degrees has a range between 13 & 16. Being a driver replacement I can't imagine going above 14, but I can imagine 12 des being a god number. What is the disadvantage of adjusting a 12 des to 14, if 12 is too strong for me?

Can someone comment more on the grip. What is the problem, photos might be helpful?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad

Stock grip....kinda slick, not much tact at all.

40cf696500b2d3e6962fc063b1061cac.jpg

839414f3775aa38a0eb0190f70e53d84.jpg

Stock grip....kinda slick, not much tact at all.

40cf696500b2d3e6962fc063b1061cac.jpg

839414f3775aa38a0eb0190f70e53d84.jpg

I was really surprised they put the stock grip that's on the XR range on it and not the NDMC, which is on the rest of the Bertha Line - and a far better grip IMO

I was really surprised they put the stock grip that's on the XR range on it and not the NDMC, which is on the rest of the Bertha Line - and a far better grip IMO

Looks like the same grip that's on my Heavenwood. I don't mind it.

Looks like the same grip that's on my Heavenwood. I don't mind it.
I was gonna say the same thing, don't mind it too bad.

I despise the stock grip. Not good.

Jman help me out with the launch aspect. Low to mid vs mid to high for me means how far away I'm looking for a miss hit lol. Does that sound right?
Im confused.

The Speeder will launch higher (mid high) , the KK will launch lower (mid or low mid). If you want more launch then the Speeder hits that mark of the two base offerings. There are other no upcharge shafts if customers ordered though FWIW.

Back