Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

How many Legacy guys are going to venture out of the comfort zone for the last couple of months and play courses that are unknown to them?

How many Legacy guys are going to venture out of the comfort zone for the last couple of months and play courses that are unknown to them?

playing a private course in Boston next week where my boss is a member, not a clue about it... but i doubt it's anywhere near the difficulty of TB/Caledonia. Still, completely unknown so really going to try to see how well i can score versus my home course. There's another tough course nearby called Viniterra which I haven't played yet which i plan to play next month. I think that might be what Lynchburg was talking about above.

I certainly will be doing that. With two very different styles of courses in MB I will be looking to specific courses to meet certain criteria.

Edit; Old Stonewall will be a great test!

I certainly will be doing that. With two very different styles of courses in MB I will be looking to specific courses to meet certain criteria.

Edit; Old Stonewall will be a great test!
To me I believe it's less about difficulty factor and more about the unknown. Playing the same course always led to similar shots and a comfort zone for me. I had the best success when I completely ventured out of my comfort zone.

To me I believe it's less about difficulty factor and more about the unknown. Playing the same course always led to similar shots and a comfort zone for me. I had the best success when I completely ventured out of my comfort zone.
I agree. I don't find either course to be difficult, but the do require a golfer to think differently. Different plans of attack if you will.

I would say the majority of my rounds this year have been on courses not known or at least not known well. I love playing new courses so I try and get out to as many new ones as I can. I tend to get bored playing the same course one of the reasons I let my membership go and now travel around.

I have always thought my game travels well and am hoping that continues come July.

which course?

Riverfront in Suffolk. I struggle there for some reason. Think I have only broke 90 there a handful of times, and I have played it a ton.

I play all over the area near me so there are not many course that I am unfamiliar with around here. So I most likely will not.

I've been doing this as much as I can lately, and I intend to keep doing it. There's something about those scores at a new-to-me track that really show where your game is at.

I went and looked and so far this year I have played 7 different courses. All of them courses near me.

I have actually been doing this quite a bit, and most of them have been pretty difficult courses. Playing difficult courses with hard, fast greens has really helped me see where my game is at. In the last month, I have played TPC, Bardmoor, Fox Hollow, Ritz Carlton Orlando and Lake Nona. While my normal course (Northdale) has pretty fast greens right now, they aren't nearly as firm. It has definitely helped.

Half of my rounds I've ever played since January are on courses I was playing for the first time, so it's not exactly outside my comfort zone at this point. I intend to keep that up as much as possible though. There are tons of courses around here I haven't played yet.

Well hopefully that's been resolved. In home putting is better than doing nothing. Line on balls, work on getting it going end over end. Costs nothing but time.
Spent time doing this last night, about an hour and a half of listening to House of Cards on the TV while I rolled putts in the living room, just getting in reps.

my skins game is at a different course every week so it's not only a good test, it's fun and never boring. Lots of the places I've never been or played once.

While I do play some courses that are familiar to me, I also already play unfamiliar course right now. I may start playing all new courses from here on out, leading up to Legacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's about all i can do, since my home course isn't usga rated and useless for handicap purposes. My handicap rounds are as follows

1) new course
2) course I play about 3 times per year
3) new course
4) same course as #3 (it was 36 holes that day)
5) new course

I'm expecting to set foot on about 5 more courses that I've never played before over the next 6 weeks. I remember the 'does your handicap travel thread,' and I've definitely made it a point to get used to the unknown, if that makes sense.

~Rock

Absolutely. At least one of the rounds this coming weekend will be on a course I've never played, and another may be played on a course I haven't played this season, yet.
Interesting insight here, JB. My PB is on a course I had never played before. Second lowest score is on a course I'm pretty familiar with. Third lowest score is on a course I hadn't played for 5 years.

Heading to the unfamiliar course reduced decision making choices for me, as I had no expectations - I simply tried to play to my strengths, and away from my weaknesses. It's a lesson I really need to heed better on courses I know, to avoid complacency.

I guess I've always liked playing lots of new and different courses. It's one of the best things about playing golf.... The variety!

That being said, I've made an effort to play even more new and tough courses this year. Also playing longer tees on more familiar courses.

What I've learned doing this: tee game and putting are what help my game travel. Wekopa in Arizona in January showed me how much work I had to do with my driver. Ritz Carlton in Orlando showed me how much work my putting needs.

Absolutely. At least one of the rounds this coming weekend will be on a course I've never played, and another may be played on a course I haven't played this season, yet.

Interesting insight here, JB. My PB is on a course I had never played before. Second lowest score is on a course I'm pretty familiar with. Third lowest score is on a course I hadn't played for 5 years.

Heading to the unfamiliar course reduced decision making choices for me, as I had no expectations - I simply tried to play to my strengths, and away from my weaknesses. It's a lesson I really need to heed better on courses I know, to avoid complacency.

Definitely a mindset worth working on. Especially with practice rounds the week before Legacy. You might start to think you know more about the course and start to maybe feel too comfortable, then possibly fall into that mindset you mentioned on courses you're familiar with.

That's about all i can do, since my home course isn't usga rated and useless for handicap purposes. My handicap rounds are as follows

1) new course
2) course I play about 3 times per year
3) new course
4) same course as #3 (it was 36 holes that day)
5) new course

I'm expecting to set foot on about 5 more courses that I've never played before over the next 6 weeks. I remember the 'does your handicap travel thread,' and I've definitely made it a point to get used to the unknown, if that makes sense.

~Rock
You played amazing at Arbor considering we had no idea where we were going, even though we kept asking Tony, he did his best!!!

And the conditions, you keep that regiment up and you'll be ready for TB and Cale!

Had a really great lesson last night, I feel like it got my swing back. Two simple changes, on the take-away and post-contact got things working for me again. Did you know that a golf swing plane is around your spine and not vertical? Apparently I'd forgotten that. :angry:

Looking forward to things drying out so I can take what I've learned out to the course. With all the rain TX has gotten, everything is either swampy or literally under water. This is something another DFW guy posted from a local course:

0fb331beb8eba48df3ecf1d9fc6f3b5a.jpg

Last night was probably the first time in my life I shot sub 80 and feel like I played pretty iffy.
Missed some easy putts, iron play was meh but just kept making pars on the front 9.

Progress. And it feels great!

Last night was probably the first time in my life I shot sub 80 and feel like I played pretty iffy.
Missed some easy putts, iron play was meh but just kept making pars on the front 9.

Progress. And it feels great!

Dude, I just wanna say this. I admire your game and your progress so damn much, and you're an inspiration to me to get better. Going from (I won't sugarcoat it) one of the strangest swings I've ever seen a little under 2 years ago to the place you're at now is just awesome, and I've always thought your short game was money. I really think you're gonna be dangerous down there in Myrtle.

Not trying to gush, just want to give you some kudos cause you deserve it!

Dude, I just wanna say this. I admire your game and your progress so damn much, and you're an inspiration to me to get better. Going from (I won't sugarcoat it) one of the strangest swings I've ever seen a little under 2 years ago to the place you're at now is just awesome, and I've always thought your short game was money. I really think you're gonna be dangerous down there in Myrtle.

Not trying to gush, just want to give you some kudos cause you deserve it!
Thanks so much brother! You've seen me at my lowest points as well as my highest and you're one of the few guys that has seen me progress from where I started. The words mean a ton coming from you.

Last edited:
Thanks so much brother! You've seen me at my lowest points as well as my highest and you're one of the few guys that has seen me progress from where I started the words mean a ton coming from you.

It's well deserved, trust me! Now I've just gotta work on catching you! :D

Semi-related, cool to see your bag all detailed in your sig. Lots of awesome choices in there. Michigan Ave especially, that'd be my exact choice. Really excited to see how that setup works for you!

Back