How Are Drivers Made?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered how golf clubs are made? With drivers talking about CG location, weight savings and adjustability, what goes into the creation of the club from a materials side?

THP TV sat down with Mike Yagley from Cobra Golf to discuss this very topic and it is a fascinating technology conversation for anybody that likes golf.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/how-are-drivers-created/

The master strikes again. Good interview, Dean. I can listen to yagley talk tech for days. Hopefully get a chance in thpmc

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

That was a very interesting and eye opening video. More complex than aerospace technology? Who would have ever thunk it?

Really fun one to watch. It's crazy how small the margins are for performance. The point Mike makes on sound/feel is a good one - that's something you don't have to pay attention to in some of the other high performance aerodynamic projects.

Here we see the big advantage of JB shooting in 4K - the zoom ins have a bunch of detail still.

Really loving these videos with Yagley. He is so full of information and explains it in such an easy to understand way. Interesting that aerospace keeps coming up in golf clubs, would have never known that.

I've said it before. It is absolutely astounding to me how far we've come from persimmon drivers. No one seems to articulate tech quite like Yagley. Hope we can keep these interviews with him going. Dean does a masterful job asking great questions and not wearing the "deer in the headlights" look on his face that I would have. Great stuff!

I'm going to be honest, I've never putt much thought in to how much effort goes in to designing a driver. It's never crossed my mind how much tiny little change in weight can completely throw off other aspects of the club. This series of videos with Cobra has been so good, really great job guys.

Always knew that club design would be difficult, but it's really interesting to hear him say that it's more difficult than working on rockets or airplanes. Great questions and great information. Makes me want to buy an F7 even more now!

Great video, thanks guys! Yagley is a smart dude!! I knew all about the different pieces that make up the driver, but the details like the rib structure and millimeter differences that make up such huge differences is crazy! There is definitely a lot that goes into making a driver, thanks for taking the time to show us!

Great video; wonderful insight into how complex incorporating technology and designing these clubs is.

Who would have thought the amount of man hours it takes to take care of all the little details! Incredible info

I was excited to watch this one and expected a great deal of info going in, but my head just exploded. Thanks again for producing and sharing these inside looks. This one goes a long way toward justifying a good portion of the new release price tags we see.

I was excited to watch this one and expected a great deal of info going in, but my head just exploded. Thanks again for producing and sharing these inside looks. This one goes a long way toward justifying a good portion of the new release price tags we see.
I thought the same thing. The R&D costs are 100% justified when you consider the impact of fractional changes in design.

This is eye opening to say the least now you can see why the costs are what they are with everything that goes into. Thanks for the great video love watching these

Great video. Yagley is excellent at communicating technically dense stuff to nontechnical people. I don't count - I'm a technical guy, and this kind of stuff gets me all hot.

So 3,000 hits is the design basis for a club? Wonder whether that includes a safety factor.

Great interview. I knew that there was engineering taking place to design a club, but sometimes I take for granted the amount of time and effort used to make a driver as perfect as possible. It's amazing how you can go from nearly perfect and improve on that for your next release.

Glad you all enjoyed this video. Yagley is just fantastic for these discussions. Who would have thought that it would be more difficult to build a driver head than some airplanes? And then bring it back to the club testing video we posted a few weeks ago, the entire process is just mind blowing.

I could watch Yagley talk about anything. Having met him a few times he is just as personable in person.

Every time someone brings up the "how much better could clubs be today then 5-10-15 years ago, i am going to refer them to this video.

Enjoyed the video, and Dean nodding up and down as he spoke of super sonic airplanes :confused2: It's mind blowing to me that if you shift any component of a driver a small distance it can have that many effects on sound, MoI, CG etc. That when you move that just a sliver it could take weeks to determine what the effect is going to be on durability, sound, distance and so on. Whole new level of respect and some understanding for what goes into making it.

The series of videos with Yagley have been fantastic for helping someone like myself, with limited tech knowledge understand things a bit more.

Very interesting and informative spot. I wonder if the rib structure also aids in the harmonics of the club as well. Yagley mentioned a few times that the design also needs to be durable for 3000 strikes. Is that a baseline standard by most OEM's? That's a lot of tee balls.

Glad you guys are enjoying it

Awesome video and awesome info! Loved learning about Yagley's aerospace industry past too...and comparing that experience to driver design was quite intriguing.

Got to watch this video at lunch, there's so much info packed into it that it could have been an hour long and I'd still feel like there was a lot Yagley left out.

Got to watch this video at lunch, there's so much info packed into it that it could have been an hour long and I'd still feel like there was a lot Yagley left out.

That is when you know you have some fun and good content.

Back