MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
In considering taking some putting lessons to help improve that aspect of my game. I feel as it's the weakest part of my game right now, and the best place to help lower my scores even further. Has anyone taken putting lessons and how did they work out for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a putting lesson back in October. It helped tremendously. Wish I had done it sooner. Focused on setup and tempo.

He's also an aimpoint guy, and while he didn't go in depth, he showed me the basics.

In considering taking some putting lessons to help improve that aspect of my game. I feel as it's the weakest part of my game right now, and the best place to help lower my scores even further. Has anyone taken putting lessons and how did they work out for you?

Yes I have taken putting lessons from an instructor that teaches only putting and is brand agnostic. He taught me the theory behind putting and how mechanics influence the putter you should be using. Basically looking at things like vision, posture, and how You choose to swing the putter.

Other fitters can be beneficial but may teach based on their product. Seemore provides a fitting but it is centered around setting you up to be efficient with their putter.

Most instructors will teach based on specific theories they believe like eyes over the ball or how to power the stroke.

I personally feel like I have benefited from my instruction and have probably saved a few stroke per round. Could be more if I practiced more.

Just like full swing instruction there are many ways to accomplish the stroke; you will ultimately have to buy in to the approach being taught. As an example, If you want to see different methods look at pelz, utley, Stockton, and tiger for 4 different ways to putt

I have had them and they are fabulous. Definitely recommended.

in the midst of some now. Really interesting and beneficial if you can find someone that you connect with. I recommend doing some research and giving it a go if you like what you find.

Great input guys thanks. I will be looking shortly for an instructor that is local

What aspect of putting is also a question. The two main areas are stroke and green reading. In my mind until you can start the ball on your intended line learning how to read greens becomes more difficult. I would recommend starting with stroke and then do green reading

Great input guys thanks. I will be looking shortly for an instructor that is local to me.

There was a member that posted a very in depth review of his putter fitting and lesson from a company. I want to look into something similar to that looks very promising.

One thing to keep in mind after taking a putting lesson or any lesson for that matter is you set up to the ball and you have 20 things going through your head from the lesson and you end up with a melt down cause you are to "mechanical". Dave Stocktons book "Unconscious Putting" is a good read.

Don't get me wrong, a putting lesson is great and I have done a handful. The slightest change can make a world of difference.

One thing to keep in mind after taking a putting lesson or any lesson for that matter is you set up to the ball and you have 20 things going through your head from the lesson

This in my opinion is a flaw in how you are taking lessons you should never have that many changes or thoughts based on a lesson. Practice a skill until it becomes second nature and then move on to the next skill. My putting instruction was at least six months to get the basic skills.

I had a putting lesson at the back end of last year with my instructor who uses the SAM PuttLab system

He identified a couple of things in my setup to change and we instantly saw improvements in the numbers regarding consistency of stroke and tempo etc

Hopefully this will link to my post in the lesson thread - https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...esson-Thread&p=4879119&viewfull=1#post4879119

I have since then bought a new putter (Odyssey O-Works 1W) but from the handful of times I have been on the course or putting green, I am seeing a lot better results with my putting

The plan is to have a follow-up to see how my putting stroke has developed with the practice I have put in, but from the on-course results I am definitely sinking more putts or having them a lot closer to the hole if they don't drop

All I need to do now is learn to read the green better :D

I would definitely recommend putting lessons if you want to improve and give yourself a consistent repeatable stroke

This in my opinion is a flaw in how you are taking lessons you should never have that many changes or thoughts based on a lesson. Practice a skill until it becomes second nature and then move on to the next skill. My putting instruction was at least six months to get the basic skills.

That is correct, but the average or above average golfer still has things rolling through their head. Not just putting, but even full swing lessons. Same thing.

One of the most important parts of the game and you definitely don't need a lesson. This part of the game is all practice and feel and is something you should be able to figure out on your own. The only thing you need to check is that you are setting up and starting the same way each time.

Yes I have taken putting lessons from an instructor that teaches only putting and is brand agnostic. He taught me the theory behind putting and how mechanics influence the putter you should be using. Basically looking at things like vision, posture, and how You choose to swing the putter.

Other fitters can be beneficial but may teach based on their product. Seemore provides a fitting but it is centered around setting you up to be efficient with their putter.

Most instructors will teach based on specific theories they believe like eyes over the ball or how to power the stroke.

I personally feel like I have benefited from my instruction and have probably saved a few stroke per round. Could be more if I practiced more.

Just like full swing instruction there are many ways to accomplish the stroke; you will ultimately have to buy in to the approach being taught. As an example, If you want to see different methods look at pelz, utley, Stockton, and tiger for 4 different ways to putt
Have to agree here. We have used the same person and while it has been a bit since I chatted with him understanding what exactly each putter will do and why has helped me a ton more than any "normal" lesson I ever took.
I am at the point now that I know how certain types of putters will react with my stroke and choose accordingly. That is not to say there was not some small adjustments along the way but most of my times was taught discussing the why not learning the how if that makes sense.

This is the way I learn best as well if you tell me this is how something should be sure I can repeat it but if you teach me the why the how comes with the why along with an overall better understanding.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

i'll be the dissenting voice here. i've taken putting-specific lessons from 3 different people in the span of as many years. the only positive change to come out of any of it was a tweak in putter length. the repetitive theme from all 3 was that putting is very personal, and you should care more about results than mechanics. so it was almost always about distance control and green-reading than it ever was about grip, posture, path, or anything like that. my putting is definitely better than it was, but it's still not good by any measurement. i consider it money wasted tbh.

Of the handful of lessons I've had, the putting lesson made the biggest difference.

Finally had a putting lesson with the course pro. I can't believe I waited this long to get to one after taking it today. My issues were alignment which was fixed with my set up. My eyes were not over the ball but I didn't realize it. And I am now leading with my front wrist and that has fixed me closing the face and pulling everything left.

All seems like simple, duh things.. but so glad I have them identified now and can start putting like i should. Went out right after lesson and it made such a difference. Shot an 82 and saved about 10 strokes on my average so far this year.

I like to think I am a good putter but I wonder if a putting lesson would still help my game.

I'm sure it would help anyone, but I had a few things I thought I was always going right but had consistently bad results. Luckily it just took a trained eye to recognize it and show me the changes.

I went back to a big ugly face balanced thing as it seemed I was missing short putts right when I couldn't square up the blade putter. That seemed to help. I think game golf has me around +0.2 sg:p, or whatever number is on the good side of zero but would love to shave another stroke off that number.

Back