Trying To Break 90 Club

Short game the way to lower scores

Agreed, Pattyboy21 said the same thing to me when we played recently. I've worked hard on my chipping since then and I've cracked 90's twice the last two times I've played.

Forward shaft lean, and sweeping iron shots, are not mutually exclusive. You can get plenty of spin with very little divot, but a descending blow and forward shaft lean are crucial to solid iron shots and solid chipping/pitching.

The fault that I see in my friends' swings, and other higher handicapper swings, is losing the angle in the downswing and letting the clubhead pass the hands before impact. While some folks learn to hit low, running shots with no spin, it's still a fault that will prevent them from ever becoming a good player.

When I see a player overcome this fault, and start hitting solid shots (with forward shaft lean and descending blows), I see the light bulb go off and they have a Eureka moment.

I would even go so far as to say that this ONE SINGLE thing is what separates poor golfers from better ones.

Also agree with this here. Other than chipping in general, the second biggest item I've worked on has been getting my weight shifted forward before impact. I am a picker/sweeper and don't take much of a divot. But better weight shift has helped my shaft lean and downward strikes, which in turn has decreased the scooping/casting that's plagued my swing for a while now.

So theGrint has a cool feature where you can filter stats by your 10 best rounds currently in your handicap differential, so here goes based on that parameter:

GIR: 2.8 per round
FW%: 38.6%
Putts: 34.2 per round
Pars: 2.8 per round
Birides: 0.4 per round
Bogeys: 8.9 per round
Dbl&^: 5.9 per round

The round I shot an 86 I had only 2 doubles, so its pretty clear to me where I need to improve.

I downloaded the grint. Put my 16-17 months in and got disappointed to see all my stats behind the pay wall. I'll post what I can later this evening.

Shot a +8 44 on the back 9 today (started the round on 10)... was really pleased with my ball striking and wanted to continue but I had my 13 year old son riding shotgun so time was limited today. He is autistic and doesn't like to get out of the house much (too much stimulation for him) but he agreed to join me today so that was a big win even though I didn't get to play all 18 =)

Stats are here - https://www.swingbyswing.com/rounds/10686045/2371783

Proud Dad pic is below =)

Played 18 today in an inter-club group.
50/40 90 which GHIN'ed to 88. 4th best round at the new club!
One lost ball, 32 putts (a personal best for me this year), and only 2 penalty strokes (both unplayable lies). Personal best 9 hole score at this club!
While the overall score does not show it, this round was a good one, even with a three putt!

Nicely done Spivey!

Played 18 today in an inter-club group.
50/40 90 which GHIN'ed to 88. 4th best round at the new club!
One lost ball, 32 putts (a personal best for me this year), and only 2 penalty strokes (both unplayable lies). Personal best 9 hole score at this club!
While the overall score does not show it, this round was a good one, even with a three putt!

Nice round.

damnit! I just shot a 54 that will ESC to 48... 3 pars, 3 bogeys, and 3 freaking ugly holes

Time for me to get a little serious as I am tired of shooting in the 90's. I only had 30 putts today and I missed a couple 3 footers. 4 penalties due to my snap hook miss and some poor course management cost me today. Setting a goal now of 10 sub 90 rounds by September. This really should be an easy task playing 8-12 rounds a month. Last time I had any was August of last year. I think if I can reach my goal it will also get my handicap back down where it should be.

Time for me to get a little serious as I am tired of shooting in the 90's. I only had 30 putts today and I missed a couple 3 footers. 4 penalties due to my snap hook miss and some poor course management cost me today. Setting a goal now of 10 sub 90 rounds by September. This really should be an easy task playing 8-12 rounds a month. Last time I had any was August of last year. I think if I can reach my goal it will also get my handicap back down where it should be.
At the ultimate demo day reunion you were swinging at it good. I saw you lost a great deal of weight so be patient on the down swing and set up square. You were mis-aligned at the Juicy Lucy Open.

At the ultimate demo day reunion you were swinging at it good. I saw you lost a great deal of weight so be patient on the down swing and set up square. You were mis-aligned at the Juicy Lucy Open.

Any good drills to help with my alignment? Is using alignment sticks at the range the easiest or right way?

Any good drills to help with my alignment? Is using alignment sticks at the range the easiest or right way?
The last check before yoy swing should be to look down you left shoulder line and see if uts on your target or left of it. Because as the shoulders go, so goes the club. Keep the back foot square and not flared out.

The last check before yoy swing should be to look down you left shoulder line and see if uts on your target or left of it. Because as the shoulders go, so goes the club. Keep the back foot square and not flared out.
These have become my final checks before swinging as well, since I had/have alignment issues. Been hitting it better at the range now paying attention to it.

I think that suggestion just helped me Freddie, Thanks! I did a quick setup in my office (at work currently) and noticed my front shoulder was tweaked a bit closed, then noticed my front hip wasn't really equal in alignment to my rear hip - it was a tad down and lowered. Quick adjustment to make my hips equal and the front shoulder adjusted itself right in line. Now if I can only remember to take that adjustment out to the course.

I think that suggestion just helped me Freddie, Thanks! I did a quick setup in my office (at work currently) and noticed my front shoulder was tweaked a bit closed, then noticed my front hip wasn't really equal in alignment to my rear hip - it was a tad down and lowered. Quick adjustment to make my hips equal and the front shoulder adjusted itself right in line. Now if I can only remember to take that adjustment out to the course.
This is part of every full shot I take. If I hit it bad, I can generally tell why. I know it's do to alignment.

Broke 90 for the second time this season. Had problems with a small hook again today off the tee. At least my overall game stats seem to be improving and I think I'll be able to shoot 80's consistently this season.

Broke 90 for the second time this season. Had problems with a small hook again today off the tee. At least my overall game stats seem to be improving and I think I'll be able to shoot 80's consistently this season.

great round N54TT, get rid of those 3 putts and you will be a beast

46/48 for a 94 this morning. Iron and wedge ball striking was poor. Drove the ball very well after making some adjustments this week and putting was pretty solid too. Hit 9/14 FW, 3/18 GIR and had 32 putts. Made a couple 15 footers too which was nice. 2 pars and a birdie.

If I clean up the approaches and in-between shots, I will be below 90 again soon.

I had a great ball striking day today till we got rained out at the 9th hole.

I managed to shoot 45 with 5 pars 2 bogey 1 triple and a quadruple... two terrible swigns got me in big trouble, and I wasn't able to recover from that. otherwise, I was playing great!

Went to the range today. Worst session in over a month. Started off well but got progressively worse through the bucket. I was hitting hooks, pushes, dribblers, moon balls, worm burners, everything.

I have a round on Sunday... SMH

Shot a 48/43 (91) on a new course. A little disappointed I didn't break 90 but I feel like it was a good round. Definitely motivation to work on my swing.

b4ddc9bc4e6e42b941f2845be7ceb82b.jpg

Shot a 48/43 (91) on a new course. A little disappointed I didn't break 90 but I feel like it was a good round. Definitely motivation to work on my swing.

b4ddc9bc4e6e42b941f2845be7ceb82b.jpg

Solid round! No triples so it doesn't seem like you had any real blow ups.

Played a 3 man 18 hole scramble Wednesday and a 2 man 36 hole scramble yesterday. Didn't play well... I'm noting that my game is MUCH better when I play alone. I need to work on the mental aspects of maintaining proper focus while in a group setting. Frankly I'm convinced that it's just nerves... I care too much about not blowing it in front of friends. Need to work that out.

Played a 3 man 18 hole scramble Wednesday and a 2 man 36 hole scramble yesterday. Didn't play well... I'm noting that my game is MUCH better when I play alone. I need to work on the mental aspects of maintaining proper focus while in a group setting. Frankly I'm convinced that it's just nerves... I care too much about not blowing it in front of friends. Need to work that out.

Get to a THP event. We'll cure you of that issue fast.

Back