Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

I had a very frustrating end to what was a great practice session this afternoon.

I spent about 30 minutes working on 125 & under shots & then moved to the driver for another 45 minutes. Both of these sessions went great, but then I decided to hit the last 3 balls with my PW wrap up.

Ball 1 - hosel rocket
Ball 2 - blade city
Ball 3 - dug a trench

I was so frustrated, I had to walk out onto the range and pick up a few balls to get that out of my system. I managed to hit a couple of decent shots, but nowhere near how well I was hitting them earlier.

In the end, I think I learned a valuable lesson. Pounding driver over & over again is not good for my overall game. I have to mix my clubs more while practicing.

You know it's crunch time when you are swinging a club in your living room before breakfast. :)

Love is in the Air will be a nice chance to tee it up in a competition with other THPers on a great course. Looking forward to seeing how my game holds up this weekend.

Love is in the Air will be a nice chance to tee it up in a competition with other THPers on a great course. Looking forward to seeing how my game holds up this weekend.

Worst case scenario, we can swap you out for your wife if she plays better.

I had a very frustrating end to what was a great practice session this afternoon.

I spent about 30 minutes working on 125 & under shots & then moved to the driver for another 45 minutes. Both of these sessions went great, but then I decided to hit the last 3 balls with my PW wrap up.

Ball 1 - hosel rocket
Ball 2 - blade city
Ball 3 - dug a trench

I was so frustrated, I had to walk out onto the range and pick up a few balls to get that out of my system. I managed to hit a couple of decent shots, but nowhere near how well I was hitting them earlier.

In the end, I think I learned a valuable lesson. Pounding driver over & over again is not good for my overall game. I have to mix my clubs more while practicing.

If I'm working on a swing flaw, I'll hit the same club (whatever category I'm having issues with, Driver, hyrbrids, irons, etc). Otherwise, I'm a big fan of hitting varied clubs. I like to imagine a course I know well. So for instance, I may hit driver, and I'm aiming dead center of the range. Next shot may be a mid-iron like I'm laying up on a par 5. Depending on where my tee shot went (or if the hole is a dog leg) will change where I aim on the range. Then finally, I may hit a wedge, again, taking into account where my last ball went to determine my aim point on the range. Now if I ever flub a shot, then I guess I get to hit another long iron to try and 'reach that green' or whatever I would do on the course.

I find this helps slow me down on the range. Plus, it forces me to go through my routine every ball and pick out aim points.

~Rock

New gear 8 weeks from today!

If so, please change my club selection to FG Tour 100 irons. Thanks.

Nope. No equipment changes. Sorry. I dont make the rules. :alien:

great following everyone's progress.

Had a great lesson yesterday. All short game, 10 yards and in. Worked on putting for about 10 minutes of it. I was in a funk (although some in Nebraska would disagree). It was just one of those things where I needed to change one small thing, and the rest fell into place. In my case, where my eyes were in relation to the ball. So after that 60 seconds, and while I just hit putt after putt, he discussed pre-shot routine with putting.

Then moved on to chipping. I put in a new chip/pitching stroke at the beginning of this year, and he 'tweaked' it do it actually worked and was consistent. This one is going to take some practice. I had a lot of great shots, but there are two things I just have to work into muscle memory to prevent getting it thin. Then we worked on a simple method to flight it low or high with whatever club I was chipping with. Now that was fun, playing with high soft shots and low quick-checkers. Of all the parts of golf, short game is probably the most fun for me. I love the creativity behind it.

Four more lessons, not sure what I'll focus the next one on. There will be one dedicated to bunker play, one for pitching (that 10-50 yard range) and a full swing one. Not sure what I'll do with the 5th lesson. And I'm pretty sure I'll do a 6th lesson, and that it will be a playing lesson. But don't tell my wife that. However, I'd like one final lesson to be less about the swing, and more about just being on the course.

My instructor is excited about my Legacy, and that just jazzes me up. He even told me where he keeps his bag of "good balls" for anytime I want to go and practice my chipping and pitching at the practice green.

~Rock

Great stuff in here guys.

Congrats to all of you on your work and progress.

Shakey...you won't believe the difference in playing with a new knee.....or two :)

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Love hearing the D200's have been a big help to you.

Heading out for a nice a short game practice tomorrow. Really haven't put the time into it recently.

I was happy to get some rounds in with THPers this weekend at Love is in the Air in Orlando. I had a pretty good round on Saturday, where I was putting a lot of pressure on myself, really trying to think my way around the course and play smart and somewhat conservative. I limited myself to one blow-up hole, and need to learn from it. On 12 I hit what I thought was a great drive, and when I got to it, I had caught the edge of a fairway bunker. Since that hole was cart path only, I only had one club with me, a hybrid. Instead of trekking back to the cart to get the right club, I tried to play the hero shot, and got myself into much worse trouble, before taking an 8. It was a mental lapse, and I knew it was a mistake before I tried it. Going to try to learn from it. It was very hot and humid, though I don't know if it was as bad as we will see at True Blue and Caledonia. Still, I enjoyed the pressure of playing with other THPers. My final score on Saturday was 83. Considering I didn't make a putt all day and had that 8, I feel very happy with it. Many other players much better than me had worse days, as the course was just plain tough.

On Sunday I played very poorly. It was a great time with the wives, but it was also hard to take things too seriously. I did keep my wife from having to putt on 5 different occasions by chipping it to gimme range, but that's pretty much all I can say about my game on Sunday. All weekend I chipped and pitched very well (for me). After some reflection, I am not sure I hit a single great shot with a full swing on Sunday. I think my strategy in Myrtle Beach will be to not spend the entire day drinking the day before. It definitely had an impact on my performance Sunday.

Anyway, the big highlight for me is that this morning I logged onto GHIN to see that my handicap had entered the single digits for the first official time ever. I dropped 1.5 strokes in one month. I am pretty excited about that.

VJPvPx.jpg

There is SO MUCH work left to be done. I have 4 lessons between now and then, and countless range balls and practice putts. There is a temptation to stop posting scores I know will lower my handicap, which might help me win matches. But Legacy to me is not just about winning matches in Myrtle Beach. It's also about playing against myself. Challenging myself along the way. I am scheduled for some surgery that will put me on the shelf for a week or two next week, so I suspect most of my June work will be chipping and putting. No full swings for at least a week. I don't expect it to set me back much.

Good stuff Eric, nothing can replicate that feeling of actual competition and pressure to perform. I'm down to 11 from 12.3 on 5/1, so happy here as well and things are starting to come into form. I have a busy June, and I'll be lucky to get to play much. In the next 3 weeks I have my grandpa's 95th b-day party in Seattle, daughter #1 birthday, mom visiting, our anniversary, daughter #2 birthday... have to figure out a way to get some golf work done, while working my 60 hours also...

Texas has *finally* stopped getting rained on. Hit the putting green and short game area pretty hard yesterday to get in some work. I'm looking forward to some serious golf this weekend. It's going to be highs in the mid 90s and sunny all weekend, perfect weather for practicing 54 holes in a weekend. :)

I'm also down a tad from 16.8 to 16.2 as of this morning. Not where I want to be yet but it's moving in the right direction.

I got in 27 holes over the weekend and learned a lot. Friday's 9-hole round was really solid all around, but Saturday I caught a lot of bad breaks. Not a lot of bad shots, just a lot of stupid bad breaks. The frustration got to me, unfortunately. That's just part of the mental aspect that I need to continue working on before July.

Thankfully the sun is shining and the weather looks clear all week, so I'll be in the gym and at the course everyday continuing to do work. I've also got the Pittsburgh Invitational coming up next week so that will be a really good taste of some competitive golf with THPers.

Knowing that you need to work on this is probably 90% of the fix - also, another HUGE advantage (IMO) if the match play format. At the end of the day, you can get the worst break of your life, but it's only a point. You'll do great down there Cace.

Down as well, albeit nothing to write home about. 19.3 from 19.5. Played this weekend and shot a 100 even, which definitely won't help, but i know what I need to work on this week. Range today and tomorrow, and in Boston Wed-Fri for work. But taking my clubs and playing a course I've never played before with my boss Friday, so really hoping to surprise myself (and him) when I get there.

I'm also down a tad from 16.8 to 16.2 as of this morning. Not where I want to be yet but it's moving in the right direction.

My HDCP went to. 9.8 w/ the revision today.

Not sure why your cap is that high. You're way to good to be getting 6 strokes from my sorry game. My cap needs to go up or yours needs to drop so we can have a straight up match in Myrtle Beach.

Mine has gone down from 19.1 to 18.2 with the revision today. I'd like to think it's going to go down a little more before Legacy. I defiantly feel like I have the a ability to go low. I guess we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has gone down from 19.1 to 18.2 with the revision today. I'd like to think it's going to go down a little more before Legacy. I defiantly feel like I have the a ability to go low. I guess we shall see.

you're definitely better than that number bro. It will happen

Nice work man, 1 full stroke in just 1 revision is solid

So. The LIITA rounds of golf exposed something I really need to work on he next two months: chipping and pitching from Bermuda fairways and rough.

Such a different animal than bent grass I'm used to. Especially when into the grain if you catch it a hair fat the club just sticks and I was coming up woefully short. I would then overcompensate and hit it way too hard. Gonna say Eric had 5 or 8 kick ins over the weekend after chips, I had maybe one.

Just wanted to take a second and say thank you to the two captains. I know that through much of the journey, not everybody will agree with everything, but these two were asked to take on a task that had never been done on THP (so there was no idea how it would go), get nothing for it, outside of some room and board and do so for the love of this community.

MikeDeanFourHundredAndFortyOne and Devrickus took it on themselves, got the ball rolling and handled it all in stride. They will go to battle, and you bet they both want to win, but they both want a great event even more than that (well maybe not more, but as much). Join me today in saying thanks to these two guys, because for all the crap they take about swag and ranting, etc they did this thankless task for the people here and the community as a whole.

nice job Ricky and that other captain.

Well done fellas!!! :clapp:

Back