• Hitting off mats

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Hitting off the grass

Votes: 54 96.4%

• Total voters

Rock26

Reaction score
Handicap
I think I am too new to create a pole, but I am curious.

What do you prefer to practice on, grass or mats?

I have always felt mats can give you false feedback.

Grass. I want to practice on the same surface I'll be playing on.

Grass. Fortunately, I have yet to encounter a golf course where you hit a single shot off a mat.

Grass just not enough places close to use with grass

Grass definitely.

If mats are your only choice, you'll learn how to tell from the sound what's a good hit and what's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grass whenever possible. I often go to a range that is not very well maintained over the one that is very well maintained just because they have a grass hitting area.

my driving range has the no-shock gorilla perfect style mats, they also have grass. I would tell you I use both, it just depends what I'm working on. If I'm playing with shot shaping, I like the grass, if I'm working on contact, I prefer the mats. Shorter irons I will migrate over to the grass, long irons and driver, I stay on mats. Really depends.

With the Gorilla Perfect mats, you get the real feel, if you hit it fat, you get the same result as you would as a fat hit on grass. You also don't kill yourself when you take a normal shot that would give you a healthy divot either. The cheap mats that would be similar to hitting off a really tight lie and super hard ground suck. Cheap mats get you into a habit of shallowing out your swing to much on shorter irons because you try to avoid the shock (something again, not an issue on the gorilla mats or grass). The grass gives you instant analysis though as you can gain important information from your divot. A good strike on either the mat or grass yields the same resulting shots though. Mats keep your clubs clean, which is nice.

With ALL this said, I would say, I end up on mats more then the grass (about a 60/40 split).

Grass for me. I just think it's easier to hit off mats.

grass every time. i hate mats. they hurt my bones! unfortunately the range closest to my house is trying to get their grass back in decent shape, so they're mats all the time right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grass, mats are too hard on my body and as others have said don't replicate what you experience on the course.

Grass, mats just destroy my elbows. I don't even consider hitting off mats anymore.

Always grass , if possible!

I think I am too new to create a pole, but I am curious.

What do you prefer to practice on, grass or mats?

I have always felt mats can give you false feedback.
Poll added.

Grass for sure.

Gotta have grass....it's legal in Washington you know... I kid...

Mats can create bad habits. Grass is miles better and it's not even close.

Has there ever been a unanimous poll on THP before this one?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

this is a no brainer ... always grass. Mats suck! Do you ever see Pro's hit off a mat ... nope.

If your planning on hitting a lot of balls mats can be brutal after awhile for this guy. I'm grass always really I will avoid mats at all cost.

this is a no brainer ... always grass. Mats suck! Do you ever see Pro's hit off a mat ... nope.

The reason I ask is I am looking at working with a instructor to improve my game and some facilities have grass and some have mats. I will normally go out of my way to find a range that has grass over mats, but I was curious what the rest of you thought. I figure if I am going to spend a few hundred dollars I want to get the most out of my lessons.

The reason I ask is I am looking at working with a instructor to improve my game and some facilities have grass and some have mats. I will normally go out of my way to find a range that has grass over mats, but I was curious what the rest of you thought. I figure if I am going to spend a few hundred dollars I want to get the most out of my lessons.
If the course has grass, the definitely seek it out. The instructor should insist on the grass anyway unless they are using a simulator... then you would most likely be in a hitting Bay off a mat.
I try to avoid mats if at all possible at whatever range I may be at

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Grass. Fortunately, I have yet to encounter a golf course where you hit a single shot off a mat.

I agree that being said I swear if I could bring a mat around with me and hit off it instead the grass I would save some serious strokes off my score. Mats give you too many false positives IMO.

wow, this is really skewed to Grass. Has no one ever hit off Gorilla Perfect mats?

If the course has grass, the definitely seek it out. The instructor should insist on the grass anyway unless they are using a simulator... then you would most likely be in a hitting Bay off a mat.
I try to avoid mats if at all possible at whatever range I may be at

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great handicap by the way.

Back