Thinking of Using 10 Finger Grip from 50 Yards and In

Haso

#TeamPrestige Southpaw
Reaction score
Handicap
Bkwrds Hat
Recently I've been playing around with different chipping techniques in my living room. Undoubtedly, my short game is what has been dragging me down throughout the last few years. I noticed a trend that i'm able to solidly make better chips with a ten finger grip (better tempo/takeaway) as opposed to my regular interlock (sometimes shakey/messy). Just wanted to get some people's thoughts, am I strange for doing this or does anyone else do the same?

I use the 10 finger grip all the time ... have since I was a kid. You would be surprised how well it works, especially for someone with small hands.

No expert here- however I've noticed the same thing and done it all this year with much better results. Feels like I have more control and I'm experiencing less and less skulled chips. (Now that I've said this out loud, I'm dreading next round because undoubtedly I will skull at least 3 lol)

No expert here- however I've noticed the same thing and done it all this year with much better results. Feels like I have more control and I'm experiencing less and less skulled chips. (Now that I've said this out loud, I'm dreading next round because undoubtedly I will skull at least 3 lol)
Yep, don't toy with the golf gods like that! Haha

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Just blow one into the woods as a sacrifice to spare yourself... it probably end up in the fairway if I tried lol.

I use the 10 finger grip all the time ... have since I was a kid. You would be surprised how well it works, especially for someone with small hands.
I remember toying with it a while back and then going back to interlock for whatever reason. My glove size is M/L so i'm pretty inbetween. I actually just switched to mid-size grips to try and take my hands out of my chips a little and it felt like it helped last round.

I've been using 10 finger grip on every shot for the past 2 months. Seems to work well, although I can use interlocking or overlapping just as well too.

Mine's more because I've been suffering with some chafing between fingers and the 10 finger seems to stop that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ten finger was too handsy for my with my long irons, so I always faded hard.

Interlock was always too strong for me with my long irons so I always hooked hard.

I use overlap now, which seems to be working.

Interlock was always too strong for me with my long irons so I always hooked hard.

I've been using 10 finger grip on every shot for the past 2 months. Seems to work well, although I can use interlocking or overlapping just as well too.

Mine's more because I've been suffering with some chafing between fingers and the 10 finger seems to stop that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have a tough time using 10 finger for any full swing shots, it doesn't feel natural to me, and my striking with interlock is pretty good right now. I'm going to take the 10 finger to the course this week with the short game and see how it works out.

I switched from 10 finger to interlock a few years ago - it's my preferred grip for everything but putting

I've recently gone back to the 10 finger grip like I first gripped as a kid for all clubs, putter to driver. Feels more natural and makes things simpler not switching grips for different shots.

I've recently gone back to the 10 finger grip like I first gripped as a kid for all clubs, putter to driver. Feels more natural and makes things simpler not switching grips for different shots.

I was always 10 finger. Went overlap for a few years based on an instructor's insistence but was never comfortable with it and never hit the ball as well with it. I went back to my 10 finger 2 yrs ago and have never looked back.

I'm the opposite. 10 Finger allowed my right hand to take over and led to a lot of early release/flippy shots that resulted in big hooks.

Interlock hurt my fingers and made me squeeze too hard. It was difficult for me to hit anything other than fades.

Overlapping seems to work well for me.

OP - while you are experimenting, try the Furyk double-overlap grip too. Instead of just overlapping with your trail hand pinky, you overlap up to your trail hand ring finger. It's supposed to quiet the hands down on short game shots. I tried it and it didn't work for me, but it wouldn't hurt to test it out.

Recently I've been playing around with different chipping techniques in my living room. Undoubtedly, my short game is what has been dragging me down throughout the last few years. I noticed a trend that i'm able to solidly make better chips with a ten finger grip (better tempo/takeaway) as opposed to my regular interlock (sometimes shakey/messy). Just wanted to get some people's thoughts, am I strange for doing this or does anyone else do the same?

I've always been an interlock guy, even on my LHL putting. For chipping I focus on the lead hand in particular the middle and ring finger as holding the club. Seems to keep me from getting handsy and help drives ball first contact. YMMV; go for the 10 finger if it is working for you.

Why take the most repeatable thing in your swing (grip) and break it into two styles? Personally, I would never do something like that.

10 finger works good with a strong grip if I remember correct. When my instructor switched me to a semi weak grip, he also switched me to interlocking.
Only thing with no interlock is putting where I switched to left hand low, near the end of last season.

When the sh**ks hit my short game, I revert to a 10 finger grip from 50 yards in. I don't know why, but it works.

I have experimented with this technique and had a little success. It is definitely a good idea to have all the fingers on the grip. I think it gives great control.

Back