Push Cart Recommendation: Rovic RV2L CaddyTek Superlight Explorer Bag Boy Quad or C3?

Patrick_O

Reaction score
Handicap
One of my first thread posts on THP, so bear with me here. I am looking for a new lightweight push cart (trolley) to replace my original Sun Mountain V1 (yes the one from 1999 with the pneumatic tires). I want to stay lightweight since my course has several hills. Here is my shortlist:

Rovic RV2L (made by Clicgear)

CaddyTek Superlight Explorer

Bag Boy Quad XL

Bag Boy C3 (aka Compact 3)

Let me know your experience with these and your recommendations. Thanks!

Cheers,
Patrick

I have only used the Bag Boy Quad Plus (which I think is the previous model of the XL) and love it. Haven't used any of the others on your short list.

Guy I play with has the bag boy c3 and likes it. I have Clicgear 3.5 and really like it. Light weight, folds up small and lots of accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Bag Boy Quad that I like a lot, BUT to me wish it folded up smaller. If I was to do another I'd do the clic gear 3.5, i think.
Welcome to THP

I see the Clicgear 3.5 is popular on this site. I am just worried it may be a bit heavy for the hills I have to traverse. I noticed the Rovic is lighter but takes the Clicgear accessories so that might be the ticket.

I like the Rovic ( I'm a cligear fan). It's well made just like the 3.5 and like you said, it takes all the accessories. That would be my choice of the bunch. But compare them all if you have the ability to do so. That's how I ended up choosing. Shopping online is great but actually having the product in front of you is even better. Good luck!

Go 4 wheels and save the cash by getting the CaddyTek. I've had mine for years now and the new ones look even better.

I've got a clicgear 3.5 and only changed it because I was offered a motocaddy M1 pro for a very good price. I never had any problems with it on hills, it doesn't fell heavy at all

I see where the Rovic is available at Costco for about $120. It is about 5.5 lbs lighter than the 3.5+. I am going to go check it out in person and will post my findings.

I ordered the bag boy quad xl from budgetgolf. Price was great and I have no complaints so far.

I own the ClicGear 3.0 and the Rovic model for children (I don't remember the model number). I have a string preference for the 3.0. The weight savings is very nominal advantage - it may way less but the 3.0 is in no way heavy. The 3.0 is a far superior product. I would buy it 100 out of 100 times over the Rovic.

I own the ClicGear 3.0 and the Rovic model for children (I don't remember the model number). I have a string preference for the 3.0. The weight savings is very nominal advantage - it may way less but the 3.0 is in no way heavy. The 3.0 is a far superior product. I would buy it 100 out of 100 times over the Rovic.

Just to be clear the RV2L is a fairly new full size model not the RV1 compact model.

I picked up the big max blade ahead of the clickgear 3.0 or of it was 3.5. Couldn't be happier.

No experience of the ones you listed

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I picked up the big max blade ahead of the clickgear 3.0 or of it was 3.5. Couldn't be happier.

No experience of the ones you listed

I like the looks of that one but it is a bit pricey compared to those on my shortlist.

I like the looks of that one but it is a bit pricey compared to those on my shortlist.

Ah. As I had no experience of the ones you listed I didn't know what price range you were looking at.

Perhaps not much better, but my sister got the big max auto fold and I got the impression that was a tad cheaper. Light and slick as well. Hope that might be closer to what you are looking for.

Only downside for me with the auto fold is that I would have needed to remove the wheels to fit in the trunk if my car

I haven't used any of those, but I did go from a caddytek caddylite to a clicgear 3.5+. The difference was night and day. The clicgear was double the price, but was worth it. Despite being heavier, it rolls so much better, and is far far sturdier. So on that, I would rule out the caddytek personally.

Caddy tek. I've had mine for about 20 months and not a single issue. Small dab of chain lube every few months and cart will roll forever on a good push. Caddy teks come with all the adapters clic gear will charge you and it's about $50 cheaper. Costco used to sell them, but they have removed them from there website. Amazon has them starting at $129 I do believe.

Ah. As I had no experience of the ones you listed I didn't know what price range you were looking at.

Perhaps not much better, but my sister got the big max auto fold and I got the impression that was a tad cheaper. Light and slick as well. Hope that might be closer to what you are looking for.

Only downside for me with the auto fold is that I would have needed to remove the wheels to fit in the trunk if my car

Thanks. Trying to stay under $200 if possible. Looks like the Big Max runs closer to $300.

I just bought 2 Caddytek EZ Folds (clicgear 3.5 clone) from TGW.com for 119 shipped at the end of March. I can tell you that I have zero issues with them so far. I walk about 2-3 times per week (9/18 depends on my feet). The cart is holding up well, has plenty of storage whether it be the net pouch, scorecard compartment area, head cover pouch, and the cooler holds several beers with ice. All this for $100 less than a clicgear. Its not heavy at all to push and our course is a little hilly (coming up #3 and #5 can be a bear the second time around) and often times if its a little slope down to the next tee box I will just let her roll. Doing this hasnt resulted in any tip overs which I find a great feature. If I had to do it all over again I would buy them again and I have recommended them to several friends who are looking at buying one. Caddytek just released their V2 version which has some updating done to the scorecard area. Apparently it now opens push button style (via a routed bungee cord) and also contains a built in sport to place your cell phone so you can use it as a GPS. Dollar for Dollar I think its the best value in push carts. So you can buy the clicgear and pay for the accessories or you can by the caddytek and get it all included.

I love my Caddytek. BTW, I had the BB Quad before this. Despite being almost double the price, it broke in a year and a half and their customer service was awful.YMMV.

I love my Caddytek. BTW, I had the BB Quad before this. Despite being almost double the price, it broke in a year and a half and their customer service was awful.YMMV.

Do you have the four wheel or the three wheel Caddytec?

After further review I am replacing the Caddytek Superlight with the Caddytek One V4 on my short list. The One is a bit heavier but is more of a direct competitor to the Bag Boy Quad. Does anyone have experience with the Caddytek One 4 wheeler?

Just noticed the Caddytek three wheeler is once again available through Costco.

Just ordered the Caddytek One V4. With deal codes it was under $120 out the door. Will share my thoughts once I receive it.

Push Cart Recommendation: Rovic RV2L CaddyTek Superlight Explorer Bag Boy Quad or C3?

Ok, here is my first impression of the Caddytek One v4.

It is similar to the Bag Boy Quad XL, maybe 0.5 lb more and not quite as upright (I think it weighs 16.5 lbs). Definitely lighter than the Clicgear. It is heavier but a good bit bigger than the Rovic - I would put it as having a footprint between the Bag Boy Quad and the three-wheel carts such as the Clicgear. Whereas the Bag Boy has a small rectangle footprint and the Clicgear has a triangle one, I would say this one is more of a long trapezoid if that makes sense.

Construction is first class. It does not feel as "plasticky" as the Rovic - It is more similar to the Bag Boy, but I would say with more attention to detail. On the other hand, it is not the tank-like construction of the Clicgear.

Folding takes a bit of effort - yes, you push the button but it takes a bit of force to fold and unfold (maybe mine is a bit stiff being new - it does not fold as snappily as the one in the YouTube video). However, the connections all appear of good quality - the handle connection also has detents, which on one hand slows the movement when folding but on the other hand provides a secure connection so the handle will not slip up or down when you push it. Wheels come off easily by pushing a button on the axle next to each wheel (I like this feature better than how the wheels come off the Bag Boy). The good news is when it is folded it fits nicely in the trunk of my MX-5 (an impossible task for my old SpeedCart).

Details. This is where this cart shines.

First, it has two elastic cords (beefy and well made) to secure the bag, somewhat similar to that of the Clicgear - I much prefer this set up to the single velcro strap of the Bag Boy.

Immediately at the base of the upper clamp, there is a tab that extends up which fits between the legs of a stand bag to keep it from rotating to one side (I am not aware of any other cart that has this detail).

The front axle is a bit more narrow than that of the Bag Boy, but no problem for my Sun Mountain Bag. A nice feature is the front axle has a suspension which can absorb bumps as the cart is pushed over rough terrain.

The v4 also has a couple of changes from previous models:

First, the foot brake has been re-designed. It is no longer a ratchet-style brake where it was difficult to tell whether it was in park or not. Instead, the mechanism is simpler - push down to brake and pull up with your toe to release. If you can stand on one leg while holding the handle for balance for at least one second you will not have a problem. Not quite as simple as a handbrake but it is not a problem for me.

Second, the handle has been redesigned - the earlier version had the console compartment extend up to the center of the handle reducing the effective grab area to just the sides of the handle. On this new version, the console compartment is completely below the handle so you can grab the handle comfortably from the center. The console compartment opens and shuts neatly and can secure items you want to keep dry. The scorecard holder is not a clamp but an elastic cord that holds the scorecard firmly. It includes a separate strap for the pencil. This is much nicer than my Speedcart where the score card would fall off on windy days and the pencil would drop out of its clamp holder - lost several pencils that way. There is also a magnetic metal ball marker that resides just above the storage compartment - a nice touch but I doubt if I will use that much - I prefer my trusty dime.

Just below the console there is a net for balls and attached to the frame just above the rear wheels is a nice bag. The upper portion of the bag has a pouch to stow headcovers or a jacket and the lower part consists of a small insulated cooler. The cooler will hold a few water bottles or other beverage of your choice. Another detail I noticed is at the base of the cooler is a small hole to allow melted ice to drain - nice!

Extras. Yes, there is more!

First there is a well-made umbrella holder - it has kind of a gooseneck that protrudes up a few inches when mounted on the handle - this is nice especially for tall people like me (I did not care for the umbrella holder on the Bag Boy that I saw in the store - although I did notice that the Bag Boy is now featuring an upgraded version that appears similar to the one that comes on the Caddytek).

Lastly, there is a drink holder that attaches to the side of the handle - it is big enough for a water bottle or can but not sure if it would work with a big thermos or a Big Gulp. The Bag Boy's is similar in size but is between the handle - I see pros and cons to each. The Caddytek one is nice if you need to raise the handle since it won't be in the way of your driver sticking out of the bag.

That's it for now. As you can see, I am very pleased with the purchase. Will give an on-course performance report soon.

Cheers,
Patrick

Last edited:
Back