Worth getting irons adjusted?

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
I ordered my Srixon Z565s last fall standard length, loft and lie. My swing, with it's flaws, is pretty grooved but I decided to see if I needed to get the lie angle adjusted. So when I was picking up my driver shaft at Aloha Golf Center, I brought my 7 iron in to do the tape test. I warmed up, then took about 3 swings and was told I need to get them bent 2* upright. What I'm wondering is if I have a slight OTT move, if I manage to eliminate that in the future, will having irons bent 2* upright affect me? I make pretty decent contact most of the time, but can't decide if getting them bent is the right move.

Thoughts?

Are you missing right? I've had an issue with pulling short irons, and since I've flattened my irons 2 degrees, it's made a big difference. So, if you're seeing the opposite of what I was, could be worth a shot.

In a word... yes.

You're pretty vertical. 2* up might help a little with the fades as well. Mine are all bent to 1.5* up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You can always bend them back if the swing changes.

In a word... yes.

You're pretty vertical. 2* up might help a little with the fades as well. Mine are all bent to 1.5* up.

You can always bend them back if the swing changes.

Glad to see you made it back :D

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, and at $5 a club it's not a big deal.

I would say have them done, it can make a big difference. It would also be good to know if they are all the same.

Yup... home and heading to work. Sometimes it sucks being the only mechanic on staff.

Don't your California clubs work in Hawaii? :alien:

You can get them bent back if your swing changes, but it sounds like you're pretty set with it now, so adjust those clubs to that swing and go score!

The proper hicksta solution would be to buy new irons.

I agree time for new irons

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I would have thought you would have had identical iron sets all to match the lie angle you needed that day hehe

I would get them bent. You could always bend back.

Glad to see you made it back :D

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, and at $5 a club it's not a big deal.

$5.00 is a steal for loft/lie adjustments.

It's absolutely worth it. Having my irons bent flat really helped me with the pull hook, especially in the short irons. That being said, currently trying to overhaul my swing so that I'm not so flat, and haven't bent my newest irons yet.

Worth getting irons adjusted?

I would have thought you would have had identical iron sets all to match the lie angle you needed that day hehe

I would get them bent. You could always bend back.

Haha, the hot spare on standby approach!

BTW I'd check to see how things are with your other irons too instead of just going off the 7 iron.

BTW I'd check to see how things are with your other irons too instead of just going off the 7 iron.

My miss is pretty consistent across all irons so I just went off the 7. If I notice anything off I'll definitely get them adjusted again!

My miss is pretty consistent across all irons so I just went off the 7. If I notice anything off I'll definitely get them adjusted again!

This is just a ploy to make it back to the golf shop again, isn't it.

Here are the factory specs Josh
896cb824bb528ad3425cc36098ab7670.jpg

So going up 2° will make them a bit more draw biased, correct? Does that technically increase offset?

I'm pretty sure going upright will also increase the loft. I need to do some reading, but I'm almost certain it has an effect. Like for every 2 up, loft increases by 1? Don't quote me, I'll check.

I'm pretty sure going upright will also increase the loft. I need to do some reading, but I'm almost certain it has an effect. Like for every 2, lift increases by 1? Don't quote me, I'll check.

I'm going to get to the range with them to check out the distances so I'll keep on eye on that for sure!

So going up 2° will make them a bit more draw biased, correct? Does that technically increase offset?

As far as I know, an upright lie will both start the ball more left and promote a more left-tilted spin axis. MGS has a pretty good primer on draw bias -- I'd recommend googling it.

To answer your initial question, yes, if you consistently deliver the club 2° upright, you should ABSOLUTELY get your irons adjusted. I'd even go as far as saying that this adjustment would have a bigger impact on your iron game than buying your Srixons did in the first place. And the change in the direction and spin of your shots won't even be the biggest difference you see. The biggest difference will be how much more often you find the middle of the club face.

Maybe you'll appreciate this from a nostalgia perspective: a few weeks ago at Golf Mart, I had a really good session with Mikey K where we were supposed to be testing iron shafts, but on a whim, he gave me a green dot Ping i200 7 iron head (about 2° upright, actually), and the effect was instantaneous and frankly a bit stunning. I started producing the SAME DAMN SHOT every time: 150 yards carry, slightly left of center, high, straight as an arrow. Dispersion was tiny. I still hesitated to go green dot, though, because, as I told Mikey, I was "working on my dynamic lie technique." He had a pretty good response: "We found the technique. This is it."

If you can, I'd recommend doing some work with a Ping lie angle test board. That will show you exactly how square and flush you can deliver the club with the proper lie angle.

Do it, Josh! With you rocking the proper lie angle, those Hawaiian courses will have no defenses left.

EDIT: Looks like you already did a tape test. Cool. So what's holding you back? :)

As far as I know, an upright lie will both start the ball more left and promote a more left-tilted spin axis. MGS has a pretty good primer on draw bias -- I'd recommend googling it.

To answer your initial question, yes, if you consistently deliver the club 2° upright, you should ABSOLUTELY get your irons adjusted. I'd even go as far as saying that this adjustment would have a bigger impact on your iron game than buying your Srixons did in the first place. And the change in the direction and spin of your shots won't even be the biggest difference you see. The biggest difference will be how much more often you find the middle of the club face.

Maybe you'll appreciate this from a nostalgia perspective: a few weeks ago at Golf Mart, I had a really good session with Mikey K where we were supposed to be testing iron shafts, but on a whim, he gave me a green dot Ping i200 7 iron head (about 2° upright, actually), and the effect was instantaneous and frankly a bit stunning. I started producing the SAME DAMN SHOT every time: 150 yards carry, slightly left of center, high, straight as an arrow. Dispersion was tiny. I still hesitated to go green dot, though, because, as I told Mikey, I was "working on my dynamic lie technique." He had a pretty good response: "We found the technique. This is it."

If you can, I'd recommend doing some work with a Ping lie angle test board. That will show you exactly how square and flush you can deliver the club with the proper lie angle.

Do it, Josh! With you rocking the proper lie angle, those Hawaiian courses will have no defenses left.

EDIT: Looks like you already did a tape test. Cool. So what's holding you back? :)

I'm heading to Aloha Golf Center to pick them up now

Back