Shoes...outside the box

Song Dog

Reaction score
Handicap
Talking to a guy the other day about golf shoes and agreed that some shoes just don't work with some people's feet. So I brought up, why does it have to be "golf" shoes???
Looks as though in some shoes that a person could go with a football, soccer, or even baseball turf shoe and be just as good.
With my action figure size frame and small feet, I'd have a better selection if I would go outside the box for "golf" shoes and get a better quality on some.
Any one else agree or am I up too early with my mind spinning LOL

I think the greens would get roughed out quite a bit by shoes from any of those sports.

i would think if an employee saw you walking around with soccer or football cleats they would force you to remove them. i would think you can cause some serious damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried field hockey shoes (Asics Blackheath 3) and you could see some really noticeable imprints on the green

I know a few people on here have mentioned using turf soccer shoes

I played in turf shoes for a year before buying golf shoes. No issues on the course and they felt great on my feet.

I was looking at some turf soccer shoes, that the cleat really didn't look much more aggressive than the adidas spikeless, that's why I was thinking this.
I have 2 pair of decent golf shoes that leak due to the foam type sole (FJ) cuz broken wooden tees have went through the foam ugh
I have seen some turf shoes that in NO way I would even consider due to aggressiveness

Wear trail running shoes. They're lightweight and comfortable.

Seems there is enough golf shoe options out that should fit anyones style and budget. No need to think outside the box on this one IMO unless we are talking some sweet golf specific sandals.

i would think if an employee saw you walking around with soccer or football cleats they would force you to remove them. i would think you can cause some serious damage.

Turf shoes and cleats are two different things. Turf shoes are basically Spikeless golf shoes for other sports

Turf shoes and cleats are two different things. Turf shoes are basically Spikeless golf shoes for other sports

good point. i didn't understand his post to be only asking about turf shoes. i still don't understand his premise since there are myriad golf shoe options specifically designed to support the golf swing.

good point. i didn't understand his post to be only asking about turf shoes. i still don't understand his premise since there are myriad golf shoe options specifically designed to support the golf swing.

I only get it because I can't stand 99% of the shoes on the market. They are mostly ugly, uncomfortable or don't fit me right. The Puma Ignite Spikeless are the first pair I've found in over 3 years. They are amazing though so I'm buying a few pairs this year.

You can laugh if ya want after I say this LOL....but there isn't any real good quality out there in a size 6 imo
My size really hurts my selection at times

I have and wear golf shoes the majority of the time, but I've never really figured out why. I've forgotten them a number of times and played in my regular sneakers, and I've never noticed any discernible difference. I suppose they may be a must for some, but I'm pretty sure I could do without them.

I wear my running shoes, and have a number of years now. I just hate changing shoes ... and felt I was buying golf shoes because ... well you're supposed to have golf shoes damn it, and that naturally drives to not wear them.

i would think turf shoes would be very similar to a lot of spineless golf shoe options out there as far as traction. I wear mine because my Eccos are more comfortable than most if not all of my regular shoes.

I need to buy a pair of non golf ecco Bioms because they are so comfy.

I've used low impact trail running shoes with zero drop (Altra Olympus shoes), artificial turf soccer shoes (Adidas Samba), and even cross-trainers, like the Reebok Nano.

Provided the shoes have a very low drop and a decent amount of traction, I think they can work. I don't think you need hard spikes to get good traction, but I don't play in places that are really wet for a significant portion of the day.

I stopped wearing golf shoes when places went spikeless. I guess wet conditions would make golf shoes worth it, otherwise I have never had issues with footing wearing just regular athletic shoes. And the selection is much much larger. I think part of wearing golf shoes is the your supposed to mentality. Especially now since the actual traction gained is not as much with spikeless minus wet conditions.

Seems there is enough golf shoe options out that should fit anyones style and budget. No need to think outside the box on this one IMO unless we are talking some sweet golf specific sandals.

I'm with Howzat here

Wear trail running shoes. They're lightweight and comfortable.
The tread on Mizuno Kazan look almost like soft spikes.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

You probably don't need golf shoes 90% of the time, so just wear whatever comfortable athletic shoes suit you... Maybe have a backup golf shoe for morning dew or rainy days.

Last edited:
Back