Looking for equipment help

Mrooola

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all!

My name is Ola and I'm from Sweden.
I'm new to this forum and has thus far spent my time reading up on review threads and other new member help threads here on the forums, but can't seem to find the help I'm looking for.

This seems to be a very helpful forum so I'll give this a shot.

When I was young I played quite a bit, but I've never possessed the talent or the dedication to become very good at the game. I'm slightly better than a bogey-player I guess with a hcp of 13 currently, but I've been as low as 8. the problem for me is consistency. As I mentioned I played a bit when younger, but only came back to the game after a 15 year break (give or take a round here and there on work related events). So right now I'm all over the place. One round I'll be hitting straight and true playing far better than my handicap and the next one would wonder if I've ever played the game at all. Slight exaggeration, but I think you get my point that the variation is more than just having a bad round.

My gear is obviously not state of the art so I've decided I wanted to get a new set of irons first and then upgrading the rest of the gear later.

So what kind of irons should I be looking for? Getting clubs that are real forgiving might help my consistency issue, but how long can I play with them before I get bored and feel like it was a bad move?

I've been looking at e few models in what I understand is in the "game improvement" categorie, such as Callaway Steelhead XR PRO, Mizuno JPX900 (both boron and chromoly models) Ping i200, Srixon Z 565 and the Titleist AP1.

Am I looking in the right segment here?
When testing them I can't seem to to be consistent enough to make the call on numbers. Should I just go by feel?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a bit lost in the jungle at the moment.

Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!

I think you are searching in the right category for irons. It doesn't matter what type of iron you are playing as long as you can hit them well and get the ball to do what you want and have fun in the process. I used to play "players irons" for a long time. I switched to XR Pros which are more like a game improvement iron and my handicap has dropped like 4 or 5 points since switching. My point is find something that feels good, looks good to your eye at setup, and you can make solid contact with. The consistency will come with practice. Good luck.

Hello all!

My name is Ola and I'm from Sweden.
I'm new to this forum and has thus far spent my time reading up on review threads and other new member help threads here on the forums, but can't seem to find the help I'm looking for.

This seems to be a very helpful forum so I'll give this a shot.

When I was young I played quite a bit, but I've never possessed the talent or the dedication to become very good at the game. I'm slightly better than a bogey-player I guess with a hcp of 13 currently, but I've been as low as 8. the problem for me is consistency. As I mentioned I played a bit when younger, but only came back to the game after a 15 year break (give or take a round here and there on work related events). So right now I'm all over the place. One round I'll be hitting straight and true playing far better than my handicap and the next one would wonder if I've ever played the game at all. Slight exaggeration, but I think you get my point that the variation is more than just having a bad round.

My gear is obviously not state of the art so I've decided I wanted to get a new set of irons first and then upgrading the rest of the gear later.

So what kind of irons should I be looking for? Getting clubs that are real forgiving might help my consistency issue, but how long can I play with them before I get bored and feel like it was a bad move?

I've been looking at e few models in what I understand is in the "game improvement" categorie, such as Callaway Steelhead XR PRO, Mizuno JPX900 (both boron and chromoly models) Ping i200, Srixon Z 565 and the Titleist AP1.

Am I looking in the right segment here?
When testing them I can't seem to to be consistent enough to make the call on numbers. Should I just go by feel?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a bit lost in the jungle at the moment.

Thank you all in advance.

What are you using now? The irons listed have some forgiveness, but are clearly "players" irons.

Dave

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP! I think you're in the right ballpark iron wise. I recently switched from the AP2 to the CF16 to get a little added forgiveness without sacrificing feel. May be an iron worth looking at for you too!

Welcome to THP. I'll defer to more knowledgeable posters on club selection. I am near the same handicap and really like the CF16s.

What are you using now? The irons listed have some forgiveness, but are clearly "players" irons.

Dave
Hi Dave.

I'm using a set of Cleveland CG4. Not the tour version. Think I bought them in 2005 or 06.

Welcome to the forum!! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the irons that you have listed.
i'm in the process of moving to the Ping i200 which worked out nicely for me (full disclosure, i'm a big Ping fan).

That said, there are a TON of players here using each of the Brands/Models that you are looking at.
I'd say to test as many of the clubs you're interested in and be sure to get fitted, if possible. Good luck and have fun!!

Welcome to the forum!! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the irons that you have listed.
i'm in the process of moving to the Ping i200 which worked out nicely for me (full disclosure, i'm a big Ping fan).

That said, there are a TON of players here using each of the Brands/Models that you are looking at.
I'd say to test as many of the clubs you're interested in and be sure to get fitted, if possible. Good luck and have fun!!
Thnx man.

Yeah, right now I'm just trying out named irons and a few others whenever I get the chance and will book a fitting whenever I feel I'm down to 2 or 3 sets. They claim I don't need to prepare and that I can try them all out when fitting the clubs, but i don't want to waste time with irons I know I don't like and focus on getting the ones I want properly set up.

I think the irons listed are a very good place to start. I would also add the Wilson/Staff C200 and F5 into the mix as well. From that group you should be able to find what you're looking for.

I think GI irons are where you want to be. Consistency will come with more play, and I think you'll find that, eventually, in a set of GI irons.

~Rock

I think the irons listed are a very good place to start. I would also add the Wilson/Staff C200 and F5 into the mix as well. From that group you should be able to find what you're looking for.
I've tried the c200, but for whatever reason I didn't like how they felt on impact with the ball and I did get greater variance in length according to the track man than I did with other irons. I'll check out the f5 for sure. Thnx for the tips!

I think GI irons are where you want to be. Consistency will come with more play, and I think you'll find that, eventually, in a set of GI irons.

~Rock
I'm assuming this is the Ping G irons we are talking about? I'll check them out, but they didn't fit my eye when I picked them up. They are on the to try list though.

Welcome to THP! I think you're in the right ballpark iron wise. I recently switched from the AP2 to the CF16 to get a little added forgiveness without sacrificing feel. May be an iron worth looking at for you too!
I thought the CF16 was for better players than me. Now added to my to try list. Thank you for the tip!

Whatever irons you decide to get just keep in mind all manufacturers have delofted their clubs over the years. When I first started playing in the 1980's the pitching wedges used to be about 50-52*. Now they are more like 46*. What that means you will need a least on gap wedge or maybe two. I personally have a 50* GW which is in same set as my other irons. I have have a second GW at 54* because my SW is 58*.

I pulled the trigger today. Went in to the test center with Mizuno JPX 900 forged and Ping i200 as my target, but left with a set of Wilson/Staff F5. Ordered and expected to be delivered June 2nd. I didn't like the C200 as mentioned, but the F5 just fit my swing like nothing I've seen before. Awesome advice!

Whatever irons you decide to get just keep in mind all manufacturers have delofted their clubs over the years. When I first started playing in the 1980's the pitching wedges used to be about 50-52*. Now they are more like 46*. What that means you will need a least on gap wedge or maybe two. I personally have a 50* GW which is in same set as my other irons. I have have a second GW at 54* because my SW is 58*.

Yeah this was great advice that I took with me when fitting the clubs. The pw just as you said was lofted at 46 degrees so I added a gap wedge of 51 to fit between the PW and my 54 and 58 Wedges. Thnx a bunch!

Thank you all for the great advice I got here! Very helpful!

I pulled the trigger today. Went in to the test center with Mizuno JPX 900 forged and Ping i200 as my target, but left with a set of Wilson/Staff F5. Ordered and expected to be delivered June 2nd. I didn't like the C200 as mentioned, but the F5 just fit my swing like nothing I've seen before. Awesome advice!

Yeah this was great advice that I took with me when fitting the clubs. The pw just as you said was lofted at 46 degrees so I added a gap wedge of 51 to fit between the PW and my 54 and 58 Wedges. Thnx a bunch!

Thank you all for the great advice I got here! Very helpful!

Always glad to help. Congrats on the new W/S sticks.

You'll love the F5s. Those are some great sticks. Enjoy them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always glad to help. Congrats on the new W/S sticks.
In the end I picked what the data told me was the best performing club. They also happened to be the ones I preferred in terms of look and feeling as well And in the end they were A LOT cheaper so I Got that extra wedge and still they were cheaper. Didn't hurt ;)

You'll love the F5s. Those are some great sticks. Enjoy them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will for sure! It's a waiting game now though ;)

Back