Hola from freakin' cold, wet Wisconsin. Lookin' to make my game uncringe worthy......

Duff Daddy

Reaction score
Handicap
Too much
I'm looking to join some of my friend on the course more to hang out. They are pretty solid players in the 8-10 handicap range I'd guess. Me: Never golfed a lot, but wanted to get to the point where it becomes relaxing and enjoyable, instead of making me want to drink (more), see how far I can toss my driver into the woods and swerve into a bridge abutment on the way home.

I play 2-4 time a year now. I probably most likely have a ****** swing (it kinda feels a bit clunky). I use some cheap "Mitsushiba" clubs my dad won in an outing (I can't even find these on the net). The plan is to try to go a bit more consistently. I was hitting the ball much better last year. Much more consistent. I was usually in the upper 90s to low 100s for 18 (That is progress for me). I've been reading up more. May consider some lessons, and would like to get some better clubs.

I'm open to suggestions on clubs. I don't mind used (budget requires it I guess). Looking to spend around $200 for a set of irons to start. I'm really leaning towards some used Pings (Eye 2+ or ISI Ks). Heard they are some of most forgiving clubs. I could use some pointers on good deals if anyone likes doing that kinda thing. Not sure what is good prices on 3ball or globalgolf.com. I like the BeCu clubs look, but don't know if they help, or if its just bling.

Looking forward to learning more at THP!!

Howdy, welcome to THP!

There are a couple of threads of folks either in Wisconsin, or close, that you might find some playing partners in:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?86265-Minnesota-amp-Wisconsin-Thread
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?82112-Northeast-Wisconsin-Golf-Thread

As for clubs, it sounds like you're looking in a few good places. I'd also recommend keeping an eye on the classifieds here on the forum for something that may come up. If you're close to the Madison area, the Nevada Bob's store there always has a massive used inventory and is usually willing to barter on prices.

Hopefully the weather will turn for the better here shortly. Enjoy the ride!

Welcome!!!

:welcome:

Welcome to THP.

I didn't know there was a Nevada Bob's in Madison, I'll have to check it out next time I'm out that way.

Duff Daddy,

Also check out the Chicago area thread too depending upon where in Wisconsin that you are located:
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...-(Northern-IL-Milwaukee-Northern-Indiana-too)

As to budget priced clubs, watch the local craigslist, check thrift shops, the Milwaukee area Golf Galaxy stores have some used inventory, the former GolfSmith in Brookfield had a lot more used inventory but it has shrunk now that GolfGalaxy has taken over that location. This weekend I saw a set of Ping irons at a thrift shop, not sure what model or color setup they were but they had a $50 price tag on them.

Add your approximate location to your profile to help locals help you better. Wisconsin is a fairly large state.

Welcome!

I'm a ping fan and loved the Ping I3+ irons which i had for 10 years...and I know you can get them at a good price ($150 and under) used.
Although there are a lot of used sets out there for you to choose from, even with only a $200 budget.

Welcome

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome to THP!

Thank! I like the idea of hitting some vintage classic clubs. Not sure on what model I'd like (Eye 2, Eye 2+ and ISI-K were recommended for me). The BeCu look cool. Not sure if they add anything. I'm looking or the most foregiving Ping set, and it seems opinions vary. I will research the I3+ now!

Someone has some Eye 2 Red Dots for sale now at $200! Not sure if they are a good fit. I'm 5'-11" and wrist height is 32-32", so I think I'm between a red and black.

Welcome!

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I didn't know there was a Nevada Bob's in Madison, I'll have to check it out next time I'm out that way.

Duff Daddy,

Also check out the Chicago area thread too depending upon where in Wisconsin that you are located:
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...-(Northern-IL-Milwaukee-Northern-Indiana-too)

As to budget priced clubs, watch the local craigslist, check thrift shops, the Milwaukee area Golf Galaxy stores have some used inventory, the former GolfSmith in Brookfield had a lot more used inventory but it has shrunk now that GolfGalaxy has taken over that location. This weekend I saw a set of Ping irons at a thrift shop, not sure what model or color setup they were but they had a $50 price tag on them.

Add your approximate location to your profile to help locals help you better. Wisconsin is a fairly large state.

The thrifts shop had mostly junk IMO...... I should drive down to Golf Galaxy. I've never been fitted. I think I found the right sized Pings from thier sizing chart (Red or Black dot). I figured I'm better off getting the Pings since I haven't been fitted. I'm not aware of anyone close by that would do fittings without heading an hour to Waukesha or Brookfield.

Welcome! I can say first hand that I have been golfing for a about a year and decided to finally take lessons. I have been to 2 out of three planned lessons and man does it make a difference my swing actually feels like a golf swing and is becoming more natural feeling VS my all arms clunky top the ball or make dirt fly farther then the ball.

Welcome to THP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!!

:welcome:

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!

Back